CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need some suggestions

GriffbsXX

After having been run over while sitting at a stoplight, I'd like some suggestions on gear to increase visibility. Mainly I'm thinking Headlight modulator and LED taillights with various patterns. What am I missing? I'd just like retarded cagers on their cellphones to see me before they feel the bike under their wheels.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Byron

After having been run over while sitting at a stoplight, I'd like some suggestions on gear to increase visibility. Mainly I'm thinking Headlight modulator and LED taillights with various patterns. What am I missing? I'd just like retarded cagers on their cellphones to see me before they feel the bike under their wheels.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Byron

I run a Kisan headlight modulator - this and heated grips will go on EVERY bike I own in the future! Not only makes you noticeable in town/at intersections, but also really clears the left lane of an interstate out for ya when you roll up on grandma with the lights a-flashing! :icon_biggrin:

Works good on old farts clogging twisty 2-lanes as well - they're more than happy to pull over!!

I wired a set of these into my stock taillight. They are mounted just below and to the sides of the taillight. They flash rather brightly when the brakes are applied. Easy to install and really catch your eye.

Flashing break lights

I run a Kisan headlight modulator -

I was looking at these earlier. No question I'll have one of these.

I wired a set of these into my stock taillight. They are mounted just below and to the sides of the taillight. They flash rather brightly when the brakes are applied. Easy to install and really catch your eye.

Flashing break lights

not a bad choice I guess, I'd want them to be always on rather than needing a switch but I can see where they would get attention.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I run a Kisan headlight modulator -

I was looking at these earlier. No question I'll have one of these.

Flashing break lights

not a bad choice I guess, I'd want them to be always on rather than needing a switch but I can see where they would get attention.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The wire leads on the flashing lights are quite long. You should be able to wire them into your running light circuit at some point. I can not vouch (sp) that they will work for long periods of time in a constant state. You may want to check with the mfg. on that.

There is a company that makes a black tape that reflects white under light. The BMW guys use this on their side and top bags for night riding.

Just throwing out the obvious here, but it needs to be said. You can't run a modulator on an HID. Captain Obvious signing out.

Here's my suggestion... make yourself more visible.... not anoying.

Transition2Yellow.jpg

I have a Joe Rocket in Red that is similar. I got hit at 8:00 AM in broad daylight. I don't think th eyellow would have made much difference. Maybe, but if the blind bitch couldn't see the headlight in her face...

And good call, I'm already pretty annoying; ask my wife... :icon_whistle:

There is a company that makes a black tape that reflects white under light. The BMW guys use this on their side and top bags for night riding.

Just throwing out the obvious here, but it needs to be said. You can't run a modulator on an HID. Captain Obvious signing out.

Good call, I've worked with it in the past. Works well too. I'll have to find some and sew it on my jacket, luggage, pants & anything else that may be seen.

I got THIS product last week but still need to install it. (You'll probably want the Tri-Star XP model.) No personal reviews yet but a couple of my buddies use it and it really gets the attention of those behind you. I personally like the idea of the 5 flashes then steady on, but a constant flash would probably be preferable for approaching traffic that was not directly behind you at initial braking. Anyway, the product has a few different patterns that you could choose from.

I'm probably going to wire it through a switch so I can turn it off for group riding. Wouldn't want a rider behind me distracted during spirited runs.

Here's my suggestion... make yourself more visible.... not anoying.

Transition2Yellow.jpg

+2

I've had people comment at stoplights on how my bright yellow coat doesn't match my redbird.

YUP, thats the point. " You saw me, thanks! "

its funny cause it takes a second or two for it to sink in and then I get the "aw yeah, good idea" response.

always a classic everytime it happens. Sorry to hear you got clobbered at a stoplight by gramma groink. : |

I run a modulated 75W high beam, not Kissan, IIRC, but maybe signal dynamics or some off brand. Module is a blue capacitor-like can. I have an HID low beam that is switched so I can de-energize during daylight hours. So I have the capacity to shut off modulator simply by switching to low beam during the day.

I have a modulated brake light, a signal dynamics, I think. It pulses like 7 times then steadies each time brake if activated.

I also have a "trick" turn signal modulator that burns some funky blinks to draw attention. I have placed a set of (pretty shitty looking) additional lights on my tail housing.

Don't most jackets have some reflective strips on them now?

I have not been run over yet. As to how distracting all this shit is, bunches on this board have been riding with me. How annoying/noticeable is all this stuff?

$3. It will allow super-fast-spacial-awareness. Wow, wonder if that's in wiki.

mirrors.jpg

+1 - Got so used to 'em that I HATE riding/driving vehicles without convex mirrors. Blows my mind that people complain about blind spots on their cars bikes and don't spend the $3 to correct it (and EVERY vehicle has a blind spot!)...

Makes combat commuting simple - no craning your neck to see, just glance down with your eyes and blast ahead if the coast is clear!

Sorry to hear you got clobbered at a stoplight by gramma groink. : |

She was late teens, early 20's at most. Still in PJ bottoms on the way to work. Just had no license, no insurance and someone elses car. Oh, and her head up her ass.

Convex mirrors? damn, wish I'd thought of that years ago. I can use them but have to think about focusing on them right now. Have some on a work truck and really jacks me up everytime I look at them.

I was told that my red jacket on the silverbird doesn't look right today. Maybe I'll get the same awarness as you now... Hopefully.

I have not been run over yet. As to how distracting all this shit is, bunches on this board have been riding with me. How annoying/noticeable is all this stuff?

has there been anybody behind you?

NBL :icon_biggrin:

Couple more quick thoughts on the matter.

From the sounds of it, you arleady did everything you could have... so don't beat yourself up too bad about what you could have done differently or what you should do in a paraniod state from now on... shit happpens.

It's a proven fact poeple see Yellow objects faster than some other colored objects.

My Dad, always wear's White helmets for 2 reasons, keep the head cool, and higher visability to others.

I like the strobing STOP lamps, they work good for getting poeples attention, but I hate anything that's strobing or moving all the time because they can cause target fixxation, which is worse. So If you can find a stop lamp that strobes or rotates or something like that, but the Tail lights remain steady glow... buy it.

As for running down the road with your High beams on.... well there's nothing like Blinding poeple in broad daylight and causing some more of that target fixxation again.

Convex mirror's, well if you think they Help You, because you have a difficult time turning your head, great, but for me, they're just something that blocks my view of what's way back there behind me and coming up fast. Like a car at a stop light.

Just my thoughts, have a good day.

I bought those fisheye mirrors and WOW...after 30 + years riding street what a difference.

You can now see if there's a caged clown beside you who can take you out.

Buy some today...strongly receommended for traffic situations (which are frequent in my parts of TN).