CBR1100XX.org Forum

Gear Indicator

Ridgerunner

Anyone have a gear indicator installed, and if so, what kind, how easy to install and most important, how well does it work and how easy to see in bright sunlight. Thanks.

can't stand it.....neutral!!!

I have one. Mine is made by Datatool, I love it, it works great. Installation was pretty straight forward. I think there were maybe five or six wires to splice. Another one I looked at was the Acumen, it is plug and play, and it comes in different colors. I got mine on ebay for about $60.

The Datatool

http://www.datatool.co.uk/consumer/product...hp?product=digi

The Acumen

http://www.riderstation.com/catalog/products.php?id=35

That is a heck of a setup. I like it but I'm too chicken to cut into my gauges. I originally mounted mine on top of the tach, now it is below it on that little lip of plastic fairing that runs across.

There is a thread on the .com site that has one pict of mine.

http://www.cbrxx.com/general-cbr-xx-discus...-indicator.html

Anyone have a gear indicator installed, and if so, what kind, how easy to install and most important, how well does it work and how easy to see in bright sunlight. Thanks.

You only need a gear indicator if you are; a girl, have no engine-ear at all or are a complete newbie :icon_evilgrin:

Seriously, we have all tested to find another gear (that doesn't exist) or been driven on 5th on a freeway... After some time, correct gear selection becomes second nature and you don’t need an indicator at all.

I have a TRANSLOGIC Q3 quickshifter (with gear indicator, lshift light, lap timer etc) fitted. The price was right on e-bay. The recomended shift fixing is the race pattern fitted behind the fairing but this one was a road version and went on ok (after a while)

What brand indicator is that do you know ?

It is the Acumen gear indicator.

We have several riders with this set-up now. It will also work for the digital cockpit version.....

How would it be set up in the digital cockpit? Not sure I need one, but it is kind of a neat idea.

Thanks for the great info everyone, except for the comment from R1000. No I'm not a girl, I have a great ear for the bike and I've been riding motorcycles before you were born. Never hurts to have a little information that even when I'm passing the 135 mph mark on the speedometer I still have 6th gear to look forward to. The installation of the indicator in the tach looks excellent. And a big thank you to cbrxxquad. Got a big laugh from that one.

Update. Just looked at my acumen closer, it is not the same as the pictured, mine has the wires running out the backside & is bigger in size approx. 1" x 1.5" model # DG8 universal fit not plug & play.

It is too large to fit into the tach unit. Looks like Ill be mounting mine above the digital MPH LED.

Never hurts to have a little information that even when I'm passing the 135 mph mark on the speedometer I still have 6th gear to look forward to.

You should just be shifting out of fourth at 135. Get the gear indicator :icon_wink:

Never hurts to have a little information that even when I'm passing the 135 mph mark on the speedometer I still have 6th gear to look forward to.

You should just be shifting out of fourth at 135. Get the gear indicator :icon_wink:

:icon_lmao:

How can anyone not love such a big dick?

No one has said the REAL reaason for a shift indicator. It looks cool! I agree with R1000, either admit you don't "need" one and it's just for looks, or get to know your bike a little better. GIRL! :icon_nana:

No one has said the REAL reaason for a shift indicator. It looks cool! I agree with R1000, either admit you don't "need" one and it's just for looks, or get to know your bike a little better. GIRL! :icon_nana:

Of course I don't need a shift indicator, or anything else I've fitted. Nobody actually needs a Blackbird but ( did I say that out loud?)

I have the Datatool unit also. It was a straightforward install, but you do have to do a lot of splicing. I did get a little nervous about that! The only 'problem' I have is that on my generation (1999) the instruments are all electronic, so you are dealing with really small voltages. Sometimes when you are in neutral it will just 'spin' around and not set on a certain number (should be zero at neutral.) This is a little disconcerting when you first put it on and you'll think it's broken. What it is is that your instruments are receiving such low voltages (milli-volts, actually) that the unit gets confused and just spins. Also, when you are easing up the gears, I mean really just barely accelerating, it will sometimes be a gear or so behind. I bought mine years ago when I made my first trip to the mountains and had the whisper quiet stock exhaust on. You couldn't really hear the engine at all so I wanted this for gear choice. Didn't really matter. The turns were so close together and you were running so hard that you didn't really have the TIME to look at it. Still, it does look cool and serves a purpose. Hope this helps!

Oh, I took pictures of the install and I'll try to find them. I have never had much luck posting pics here but I could probably email them to you if you want.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Realize this is an old thread, but I installed a Datatool indicator tonight. I'm not that much of a girl, but I do think they look cool and are useful.

I saved a bunch of wire splicing by utilizing the screws on the back of the cluster. The only wire I had to splice was the neutral wire.

Temporary setup for connection / programming. I think mine its too big to fit in the tach, which is a bummer as that is super clean.

Can also see the air horn I installed on Sat!

digi1.jpg

Data tool says you MUST solder everything. Bullshit I say. If the screw connections are good enough for the gauges, they are good enough for this. I did solder the terminals on the wire though.

This will be cleaned up when I permanently mount the digi.

digi2.jpg

The one exception is the neutral, which doesn't have a screw connection on the gauges. Here I soldered a pig tail to the wire inside the rubber hood and then put hooded spades on it and the indicators neutral wire. I added this connection so if/when I pull the cluster the indicator can stay with it. Total install to get this far, including programming/testing was maybe 90 min.

digi3.jpg

digi1.jpg

what kind of air horn is that? whats the benefit of mounting it there?

and why didn't you mount it where the stock one mounts?

digi1.jpg

Is a Wolo Bad Boy. In the stock horn mounting location it looked like it would make fender contact under full suspension compression. And it would look pretty ugly there.

It just fits inside the fairing in the place I put it. Its also out of the weather / crap there.

I'll post another pic when I have the upper back on. Its a nice fit..

digi1.jpg

Is a Wolo Bad Boy. In the stock horn mounting location it looked like it would make fender contact under full suspension compression. And it would look pretty ugly there.

It just fits inside the fairing in the place I put it. Its also out of the weather / crap there.

I'll post another pic when I have the upper back on. Its a nice fit..

nice,

Seems to be similar to the struebel nautilus air horn. which I mounted in the stock location once I had made a slightly longer bracket.Have had it on for 3-4 years maybe longer have had no problems yet.

just saying.