CBR1100XX.org Forum

Valentine 1 question

Emillard

I mounted a Valentine 1 tonight on the XX. I am using a Powerlet outlet to power it. Here's the issue. When I plug the detector in, it will turn on and do the bedeeeee bedeeeee sound, but then it just turns off. It works fine in the car and worked fine on my ZZR1200 but won't remain turned-on on the XX.

Am I missing something obvious here?

If it's broken, it shouldn't work in the car. Maybe it is in the wiring. I guess I'll spend more time tonight messing around with it. :icon_confused:

Are you using the cig outlet style powerlet connector? It may be that it's a hair too loose to plug your lighter power into. mine occasionally did that, but only after vibrating loose. A small peice of electrical tape around the plug kept it from coming out.

If it's broken, it shouldn't work in the car. Maybe it is in the wiring. I guess I'll spend more time tonight messing around with it. :icon_confused:

:icon_doh:

I'd be dangerous if I could read, huh? :icon_redface:

Obviously has to be something in the powerlet wiring or the adapter. Sometimes an extra pair of hands is real helpful trying to diagnose stuff like this, just to hold connectors tightly together while you turn things on and off, or wiggle wires. Does anything else work in the powerlet?

:icon_doh:

I'd be dangerous if I could read, huh? :icon_redface:

Obviously has to be something in the powerlet wiring or the adapter. Sometimes an extra pair of hands is real helpful trying to diagnose stuff like this, just to hold connectors tightly together while you turn things on and off, or wiggle wires. Does anything else work in the powerlet?

Yes, what I have is Powerle SAE connector. I then have a splitter hooked up to it that has a one cigarette style and one BMW style connector. I use the cigarette style for my GPS which works fine. It's the BMW style socket that my V1 uses. So, to make things interesting, I used my cigarette lighter cord from the car, and connected the V1 to the cigarette side instead. No work.

The V1 does not remain "on" with either side of the splitter (cigarette or BMW). It briefly turns on, but after going bedeee bedeeee, it just shuts down. I can turn the power back off on the V1, and the process repeats. :icon_confused:

Fascinating. Not sure. I'd check the connections on the Powerlet to the battery, make sure nothing is grounding funny. I use the same set up on my bike with my V1 and GPS, though I hit the SAE with a splitter into two cig style, and I haven't had any power issues at all.

Sounds like a breaker kicking out after the detector turns on.

OK, that's interesting. This is a really noob question, but fuses can't kick off and then back on right? I mean, they are either toast or working, but can't go back and forth.

OK, that's interesting. This is a really noob question, but fuses can't kick off and then back on right? I mean, they are either toast or working, but can't go back and forth.

That was my understanding. Once a fuse snaps, it's trash and needs to be replaced. I'd check the other things mentioned...connections, voltage, etc. It's something in that line of testing.

That was my understanding. Once a fuse snaps, it's trash and needs to be replaced. I'd check the other things mentioned...connections, voltage, etc. It's something in that line of testing.

there are spade type breakers too that fit into the fuse slot. they're a little bit bigger than a fuse and usually have a silver metal cover.

Okay, how about this. Get a couple of leads with alligator clips. Clip from the wire on the Valentine directly to the battery. If it works, then the problem is between the powerlet and the battery. Keep narrowing it down, there can't be that many places. Check any crimp connectors, and if the bike starts ok, I'll assume you have adequate power for a detector. Is your powerlet wired directly to the battery? Through a fuse? Bypass that, maybe corroded. Do other things using the powerlet work fine? GPS? Heated Liner?

OK guys,

First and foremost, thanks for all your help. However, all the help in the world wouldn't have helpe me because I'm retarded.

All of the trouble shooting that I did was worthless. Why? Because I had two power cords mixed up. I had the power cord that goes from the socket to the relay box going into the "out" jack on the relay box and the cord that goes from the relay box to the V1 plugged into the "in" jack.

I can assure you this will not be the last time I do something this stupid. :icon_rolleyes:

OK guys,

First and foremost, thanks for all your help. However, all the help in the world wouldn't have helpe me because I'm retarded.

All of the trouble shooting that I did was worthless. Why? Because I had two power cords mixed up. I had the power cord that goes from the socket to the relay box going into the "out" jack on the relay box and the cord that goes from the relay box to the V1 plugged into the "in" jack.

I can assure you this will not be the last time I do something this stupid. :icon_rolleyes:

Doh! :icon_doh:

OK guys,

I thought it might be that, but I didn't want to say anything you'd be offended by....

:icon_twisted:

LOL!