CBR1100XX.org Forum

Jim's Motorcycle Sales Inc.

Do not use this cycle shop! "Jim's Motorcycle Sales Inc." I recently purchased a set of continental tires for my xx and spent about $200. I called to price a set of pilot powers and the salesman "Mike" talked me into the continentals, citing they would offer better wear and good traction. After I mounted the tires and put about 3 warm up cycles (200 mi.), I noticed sidewall cracking and the tires never gained traction. Inspection of the DOT stamp show these were made in 1992!!! I notified the bike shop and requested a new set of tires be installed. Mike offered to replace the tires, but wouldn't help with the mounting labor. I asked if his shop would mount the new one's and he refused. I got sold a 15yr old set of tires as new, and now I am out the mounting labor. I have filed a $400 law suit, have contacted the Better Business Bureau, and the consumer fraud division concerning this matter. I have tried to purchase things :icon_twisted: from him in the past, and he has been horrible to deal with. A buddy of mine was going to pay $4000 cash to buy a used bike there, and the owner wouldn't even come off a cheap set of saddle bags to complete the sale. Cheap bastards!!! I would burn the place down, but I know he has insurance! So, DO NOT BUY FROM JIM"S HONDA in Johnson City, TN!!

I have tried to purchase things :icon_twisted: from him in the past, and he has been horrible to deal with. A buddy of mine was going to pay $4000 cash to buy a used bike there, and the owner wouldn't even come off a cheap set of saddle bags to complete the sale.

Well, there's the problem right there!

I give any company 1 chance to fuck up on me and I never go back. PJ's Triumph gets ALL my business, even if he's 40 miles away. West Honda 3 blocks from my house gets me coming in from time to time to show them the receipts where I buy Honda crap online or aftermarket from PJ's. I call there first, then bring the receipt to piss them off. Works every time :icon_twisted:

oh yes, the hatred runs very deep! I wouldn't have messed with him, but my boss said "mike" is a friend of his and would help me out. I really had to think hard, and finally gave in, since it's a friend of my bosses! Hell, I refused to even be the one to pick-up the tires, I sent someone else so I wouldn't have to even look at him. So, now I don't trust any of my bosses friends, and have lost a great deal of trust in my boss as well! Seems like all his so called friends are thieves and liars!! Believe me, I won't be back, unless it's to take his ass to court or get my shit free! I sure as hell aint lettin him touch my bike!!

It sounds as though you've really got a wild hair in a bad place about these folks, and have some sort of irrational need to fuel that situation.

Regardless...he sold you tires. You complained. He offered to replace them. That's the end of his obligation in regards to doing business with you.

Now if these tires were actually made in 1992 (which bluntly, I don't believe), and he's a Continental dealer, that may be a problem. I'm sure Continental doesn't want 15 year old versions of their product being sold off the shelf.

I would get in touch with Continental about the tires, and verify the manufacture date. If they are indeed that old, you might ask the rep about how Continental feels about that, and what regulatory agency he suggest you contact for more information.

Keep us posted with how you're making out with Continental, and your lawsuit.

And I'd suggest you choose another place to shop at.

It sounds as though you've really got a wild hair in a bad place about these folks, and have some sort of irrational need to fuel that situation.

Regardless...he sold you tires. You complained. He offered to replace them. That's the end of his obligation in regards to doing business with you.

Now if these tires were actually made in 1992 (which bluntly, I don't believe), and he's a Continental dealer, that may be a problem. I'm sure Continental doesn't want 15 year old versions of their product being sold off the shelf.

I would get in touch with Continental about the tires, and verify the manufacture date. If they are indeed that old, you might ask the rep about how Continental feels about that, and what regulatory agency he suggest you contact for more information.

Keep us posted with how you're making out with Continental, and your lawsuit.

And I'd suggest you choose another place to shop at.

I am not an idiot. The DOT date on these tires is 3 digits long with a triangle after the date, 1990's! Lest I mention that through research I learned the continental sport 2000 was replaced by another continental tire in 1993! Why should I have to remount tires because he can't sell a product that isn't dry rotting and cracking?! I thought I was very rational in requesting new tires be mounted. Hell, half hour of labor at $20 an hour is only a $10 loss for his company! Seems to me, it would be in his best interest to fix my problem quickly, before it gets out that the lot of 60 tires he bought last month are off the shelves of another shop, where they sat for so long! I work for a tire store, and if we ever accidently sold a set of tires that old, we would damn sure do all we could to get the tires out of the customers possession! Hell, I have suffered bigger labor losses than that, just to maintain a good standing in the community. I won't even begin to say the liability issues he's facing! Perhaps it isn't illegal to conduct business in such a poor manner, but I sure as hell aint letting this go. Especially after he admitted to selling 50+ tires already, from the same lot. I wonder how many other bikes are out there on these old pieces of shit! Fuck him, his company and anyone who doesn't agree with me! I aint asking the world, I just wanted justice! Or perhaps the tire manufacture stamp, name and factory codes are all forgeries so that i would think they are old and they aren't. makes good sense to me. So "bluntly" you can kiss my ass, and call some other retard who hasn't concrete evidence , a liar! :icon_twisted:

I don't think that Joe called you a "liar"; I believe that he was implying that maybe you were wrong in your reading of the DOT code.

You certainly got a bad deal in the fact that they wouldn't totally make the situation go away.....no questions ask. My suggestion is that if you do in fact win the settlement, throw another couple hundred dollars with it and buy yourself a NoMar tire changer and order your tires online from whoever you choose.

NoMar

I don't think that Joe called you a "liar"; I believe that he was implying that maybe you were wrong in your reading of the DOT code.

You certainly got a bad deal in the fact that they wouldn't totally make the situation go away.....no questions ask. My suggestion is that if you do in fact win the settlement, throw another couple hundred dollars with it and buy yourself a NoMar tire changer and order your tires online from whoever you choose.

NoMar

Great advice. I don't really mind doing the work, it's all about the principals! Hell, I turn wrenches all day, so it's no big deal. I am just pissed that they refuse to work with me. I do in fact have a tire changer. Today I am going to take pics of the DOT stamps. If I can figure out how to put it on the board, I'd love another opinion. Hell, maybe I can't read, always a possibility.

post-3948-1193351366.jpgpost-3948-1193351379.jpgpost-3948-1193351327.jpgpost-3948-1193351357.jpgpost-3948-1193351386.jpg Can anyone verify these dot dates? as far as I can tell, they are made in 1992. Also, can anyone verify when continental stopped (if ever) making these tires. Thanks all

• 2 weeks later...

This is what continental had to say about the 15 yr old tires..

cont_rep.txt

Yes, I am still pissed and building a case :icon_machinegun: . Hell, winter time is slow riding anyways. Sent of a formal complaint to the Tn department of consumer affairs, today. I also sent a copy to Jim's Honda. I figured it would only be fair that he gets all the documents I've located. Next week is final papers to the Better Business Bureau. I plan on hitting the courthouse in the next week, to keep it rolling.Anyone else have ideas? :icon_scratchhead: It's going to be a long winter.

Lame response from Conti at best !!

After all they do offer the warranty.

Not a good way to create any return business buy saying sorry tough luck for buying our tires from one of our distributors, we only manufacture them , we do not sell them or have any control over selling what we manufacture.

I have to agree with Shane.

If I were the shop owner, and figured out that I sold "vintage" tires by accident, then I'd want to replace them - labor included. This would create some goodwill in the local cycle community; we all know that one dissatisfied customer's much more likely to spread the word - like Shane is doing now.

Go Shane!

M

The problem is, everyone in this area already knows they suck.

Lmfao!! too funny, yet too true. Also, Too bad they own both shops in that town!!

The problem is, everyone in this area already knows they suck.

Lmfao!! too funny, yet too true. Also, Too bad they own both shops in that town!!

Go to Ken's, they have never treated me wrong there or order tires from www.swmoto.com

+1 on "Ken's Motorcycle Shop" I've heard nothing but good things. Too bad they run hours that makes it nearly impossible for me to get there. :icon_think: Guess going there would have been less hassle in the long run. My hindsight has always been really good.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the latest. I just recieved a call from the HOnda shop's service department. The other guy who works there(who I've tried to deal with only)that I like, gave me a call. The owner has decided to reimburse me the ammount I have spent on the tires, and allow me to apply it towards another set. He has agreed to mount(free) the new tires for me, if I purchase them there. I normally wouldn't even consider it, but I really do trust "the other guy", and he says he'll find a good set of tires for very near that price. This still may end up costing me another $50, since I am going to have to pay the difference from the original $165 I paid. Anyone have any suggestions? I just want what's due, and I could almost be content with shucking out a few more $$, if the tires I end up with are worth the final paid ammount. Like I said, I aint tryin to get over on anyone, I'm just not trying to get screwed. I hope somehow we can all reach an agreement. :icon_snooty: I'll keep everyone posted!

Sounds like things have turned around a bit...good for you. I say use your best judgement and get some good rubber. Not sure your riding style but there are plenty of threads to search on the subject.

PJ mentioned the diablos? Being the first set of new rubber on my first xx, I'd imagine that any tire would about surpass my ability. I just want a decent set of rubber so I can quit worrying for a few miles. at least until the 1st flat. I trust Pj (funny how he happened to be the one to call me)to pick a couple choices. I also trust that they will meet any competitors price I may find. Well, at least that's my plan. We'll see! :icon_snooty:

The Pirelli's would do fine.

I also trust that they will meet any competitors price I may find

Let's not be getting crazy here now. :icon_biggrin:

You think asking them to match a competitors price is too much? I won't be devious and go ebay or used or anything. I just figure that they may try and recoup my money by spiking the price of the tires they will offer. Really, I value opinions, I don't want to misuse this situation in any way. I sure wish I hadn't thrown my old tires out!!Live and learn!

• 2 weeks later...

Jim's contacted me again. PJ (he's the best), called and offered me a set of diablo's for just over $200. I looked up the prices for those, and I am getting a fine price. I will have to pony up $50, but I don't care. PJ also mentioned that they will mount my tires for me. See, that's all I was fighting for. It aint like I haven't pulled my wheels since then, it's the principals! So, I am paying the original sale price on a set of NEW diablos, and they will cover the mounting. They are going to use my old as hell continentals as purchase credit, and those monies will be applied. Sounds like a completely fair offer to me. I just wish I hadn't had to go through all this bullshit for justice! Once the deal is done, I will repost and perhaps go a little easier on them. I will keep everyone informed, and finish w/the TN consumer department hopefully soon.

• 3 weeks later...

I find it unbelievable that the guy (Jim) actually attempted to

sell you tires that old, apparently without any conscience or

sense of responsibility towards you as a customer. And I don't

believe for one minute he was so dumb he didn't know the age

of those tires. That's reckless endangerment and irresponsible.

I'd take the Diablos/free mount, fork over the extra $50, and

never go back.

• Upvote 1

This has finally been settled. Jim's agreed to cover the cost of mounting, so long as I pay the difference between the old ass conti's and the new diablos. The difference after tax was $65, and I paid cash! They took the bike in and mounted the pirelli's free of charge. I did not realize mounting was $110?! They have satisfied my complaint, and everything seems fine. I inspected the bike, and the mechanic did a great job, w/o scratching anything. I rode the bike home, and damn this thing is smooth as silk now! I can't belive how well she like to dip into the turns, and how much smoother the road feels. Hell, I can't even feel the expansion joints in the highway now! My wrists are very happy I stuck to my guns and came to an agreement about this. I still don't trust Jim's Honda, but at least I don't have to hire any crack-heads to burn the place down! +1 for the Tennessee Department of Consumer Affairs, fraud division! I guess it goes to show, be professional, bluntly honest about expectations, and keep all your paperwork, things might work out for you. :icon_clap: