CBR1100XX.org Forum

Oil Filter Wrench

NewBird

The mechanic at my 600 mile oil change must have put the filter on with an impact wrench. I cannot get the filter off.

I saw a reference to a flat wrench, available from Honda for filter removal. Now I cannot seem to find it.

The cap end wrench the dealer just sold me won't fit between the filer and the header.

Two questions.....

What is the part number for that flat wrench and can I skip a filter change?

I had that problem once. The only time I have let someone else do an oil / filter change for me. I learned the lesson and do my own always now.

I ended up buying a filter removal tool that looks like a pair of channel locks but has rounded jaws that fit the filter. With them I can only get a 1/8 turn before hitting the pipes but it works great to break it loose. Got it at a local auto parts store for about $5.00.

Go to the auto parts store and get adjustable oil wrench that looks like big vise-grip pliers.About 10 bucks.One of better tools I own.Works on Saabs,Volvos and RX7s too.

A goldwing oil wrench works wonderfully, that's what I use. Before that, I just took one of those band wrenches for oil filters, and grinded the band a little cuz it wouldn't fit between the filter and the exhaust. It worked great while I used it.

I also use a filter wrench that looks like a large pliers type clamp with little teeth at the end. It works great. On the other hand- when I was traveling in California and needed to change my filter, a bike mechanic showed me how to use my leather belt to loosten the filter.

This might not work with an over tightened filter, though.

TimXX