CBR1100XX.org Forum

1999 Blackbird runs hot...?

chatvmax

I just purchased a 1999 bb xx and it is running great,,

BUT when i stop in town the temp guage climbs pretty quick,, she wont overheat BUT it will get up there and the fan is blowing very hot ari all over my legs...

This is the fuel injected model... all stock

Common issue...??

Things to check,,,??

Easy Fix...?

Thanks Much for taking the time to respond :-))

As long as your fluid is at the proper level and your fan is working and you don't actually touch the "H", you should be fine. My '99 runs hot in traffic even in cooler weather. As soon as we start moving, she cools right down.

+1 Just do a search, there are a ton of threads on the subject.

I freaked out too when I first got my XX. These bikes were not designed to sit in traffic. It is a trade off, aerodynamics for frontal area. Plus it seems the water pump doesn't flow all that much until the RPMs get up around 4000, so if it is getting warm give it some revs and it will help keep the temp in check.

+1 Just do a search, there are a ton of threads on the subject.

I freaked out too when I first got my XX. These bikes were not designed to sit in traffic. It is a trade off, aerodynamics for frontal area. Plus it seems the water pump doesn't flow all that much until the RPMs get up around 4000, so if it is getting warm give it some revs and it will help keep the temp in check.

thanks all,,, i guess

watch out for your electrical system. i had to replace my voltage regulator and generator after pushing my bike home several miles on a hilly ass road. watch for headlight dimming severely when revs are down and watch for hard time starting like the battery is low (cos it is).

I just purchased a 1999 bb xx and it is running great,,

BUT when i stop in town the temp guage climbs pretty quick,, she wont overheat BUT it will get up there and the fan is blowing very hot ari all over my legs...

This is the fuel injected model... all stock

Common issue...??

Things to check,,,??

Easy Fix...?

Thanks Much for taking the time to respond :-))

I have a 1999 Bird with 26,000 miles on it. The bike has always run warm , but has never overheated. I changed the thermostat. Bled the system , changed to Spectro Golden 4 ( which has nothing to do with the temp), and started using Engine Ice. No real difference. The bike always runs the same.

PERFECT !

Runs Major hot always m8 - keeps ya warm in the winter . Mine runs mega hot in traffic but never had any problems , guess when u buy a bird u gotta deal with that and a loud clutch to boot :icon_biggrin:

Ps , i run a 99 ij as well, Only prob i had was the Rectifier - a comon prob with that year apparently

• 11 months later...

I am in Puerto Rico and my 99xx runs hot too like the rest of you all, mostly in stop and go traffic. The needle stays near the top of the operating range until you run it down the highway. After 65mph its always comes to our below the halfway mark. At a steady 100mph or more its at the 1/4 mark. I took of the radiator a while back and spent hours straightening the cooling fins one by one(mostly the center ones get tweaked) and this did not seem to make a change in the stopped in traffic, and hot sun situation. Reads high but seems unaffected. Sucks that all the heat blows on you and heats up your nut sack to dangerous levels. I am happy to report that we can split traffic and get to the front of every light. California has this provision also for this very real issue of bikes and balls getting hot, especially bikes with no water. In California I believe you can only split traffic if it is moving at 10mph or less and then can not go more then 10mph above their speed. Here in PR we split at any speed which is to me better than a no helmet law. For instance Texas has a no helmet law but when I tried to split traffic on a stopped up freeway people started freaking out. Just putting past them at a couple mph, some would swerve in front or open doors and shit while they are sitting cool and comfy in their air conditioned cars with several feet between them. If I continued I may have gotten shot with all the guns they have over there. Anyway, the XX always runs hot till you do what is made to do, and that is the bottom line...Keep going!!!

You should think about maybe getting your bike switched over to waterless coolant, like Evans NPG (http://www.evanscooling.com/catalog/C_npg1.htm)

Bike does not run "quite" as hot, and it will not boil over. I changed my '99 over last year and had no problems, even in El Paso in the summer heat. Do a forum search, plenty of info on this subject.

9 years old.... hmmm.... when's the last time your bike had a Cooling system Flush done on it ?

Or how old is your coolant ?

So before you go putting straight Propylene Glycol into your ride... do your homework first.

and regardless of all that... yes... it's still going to run hot in traffic.

The easy fix is... ignore it. This is standard for all BBs of all years.

Carb'd ones run noticeably cooler. My '02 was just like OP described.....always ran hot but never overheated..fan always on. My '98 runs noticeably cooler...doesn't get nearly as hot.