CBR1100XX.org Forum

Racetech Gold Valve Kit Installed with GP Springs

cbracerx

I bought a Racetech FMGV S2040 Gold Valve kit from MileHi last December. Just got around to trying to install it and - surprise- no documentation is included. All the parts seem to be there based my my views on this thread http://vfrdiscussion.com/forum/lofiversion....php/t9493.html. I have emailed Racetech but gotten no response (at least not yet...).

Does anyone have the docs from when they did this? I think the thing I need the most is a URL and access key for the Racetec site so I can input my parameters and get a shim design.

And while I know this topic has been addressed, I am planning on using the GP Springs from the group buy last year. They specify 10wt oil with the stock damping. Using the Racetech kit, am I going to be able to use the 5wt fork oil?

Thanks!!!

I'm not running that set up so I can't help on documentation. As far as oil goes, I would start with 10w. You are going with much larger valves to let more oil flow. You should get enough flow with 10 and that will allow the shim stack to do its good better.

I've got that kit in my bike, I've got the instructions here too.

I don't think you can reuse the access code as the quote below is from racetech's site, I could give you the setup for my bike but unless you weight the same and are setting it up for touring I don't think it will help much.

Access Codes are provided in Gold Valve Kits and are requried to view Digital Valving Search Custom Valving. They allow 5 minute viewing of the output for one model motorcycle, one time.

I don't think you can reuse the access code as the quote below is from racetech's site, I could give you the setup for my bike but unless you weight the same and are setting it up for touring I don't think it will help much.

Access Codes are provided in Gold Valve Kits and are requried to view Digital Valving Search Custom Valving. They allow 5 minute viewing of the output for one model motorcycle, one time.

Well, lets try the parameters out :)

I am not racing, I am touring. I weigh 185 lbs without gear. I bought the GP Suspension Group Buy Springs. How close is that to your settings?

P.S. Could you possibly scan the instructions? I sure would appreciate it.

I am not racing, I am touring. I weigh 185 lbs without gear. I bought the GP Suspension Group Buy Springs. How close is that to your settings?

Way off.. I'm a fat boy.. :icon_shhh:

I'll see what I can do with scanning at work tomorrow.

OK, anyone out there who is close to my setup and has the Gold Valve specs?

I weigh 200 lbs. w/o gear, but if your touring you'll make up that 15 lbs. easy. It's been about a year, but I'll see if I can find my specs tonight and let you know.

I weigh 200 lbs. w/o gear, but if your touring you'll make up that 15 lbs. easy. It's been about a year, but I'll see if I can find my specs tonight and let you know.

That would be great, thanks a lot!

I'm race tech certified and know the secret behind the infamous CODE you get to plug in and its all BS. PM me with your numbers and I'll set you a shim stack that will blow any normal RT shim stack away.

In fact we'll build in some high, med, and low speed damping into the stack that will take that mere smere XX suspension to almost superbike performance.

I dont charge a fookin thing. I just expect respect and friendship.

I've built about 10 for the XX and did 4 of those on my own to get it just right. I do my stacks like a guy from attack Kawasaki (attack Suzuki at the time) as he and I went through the school together and shared some info over the years.

No fear as we got ya covered.

-M

I'm race tech certified and know the secret behind the infamous CODE you get to plug in and its all BS. PM me with your numbers and I'll set you a shim stack that will blow any normal RT shim stack away.

In fact we'll build in some high, med, and low speed damping into the stack that will take that mere smere XX suspension to almost superbike performance.

I dont charge a fookin thing. I just expect respect and friendship.

I've built about 10 for the XX and did 4 of those on my own to get it just right. I do my stacks like a guy from attack Kawasaki (attack Suzuki at the time) as he and I went through the school together and shared some info over the years.

No fear as we got ya covered.

-M

A BIG thank you to dundain for his help on the phone the other day. He really knows what is going on with our bikes suspension, and he was very generous with his time and advice.

Now if I could just find the Racetech Rebound kit at a reasonable price I would be a lot happier!!!!!

Another BIG thanks to "Jon Haney" for his help in scanning the install docs and sending them to me.

Sorry man our scanner at work is down we are short staffed and no one has had time to fix it. Fixing our stuff is bottom of the line...

I've got the papers on my desk at work when the scanner if fixed I'll scan them right away.

Don't sweat it, Jon Haney took care of me. I know what it means to be at the mercy of the IT dept!!!

Sorry man our scanner at work is down we are short staffed and no one has had time to fix it. Fixing our stuff is bottom of the line...

I've got the papers on my desk at work when the scanner if fixed I'll scan them right away.

Don't sweat it, Jon Haney took care of me. I know what it means to be at the mercy of the IT dept!!!

The problem is that we are the IT department. That means anything we don't NEED is lowest priority...

Another BIG thanks to "Jon Haney" for his help in scanning the install docs and sending them to me.

Your very welcome. Let us know how you like the changes when your done.

As a follow up, I was able to change the rebound valving as well as bump using the shims in this kit and did not need to buy the gold valve rebound version. Will be test riding tommorow (had some biz travel come up just after I finished the update!).

Well the test ride took an extra day to get thanks to bad weather.

However, after the ride all the news is good.

I made four chassis/drivetrain changes:

Resprung (GP Suspension Group Buy), Reoiled ("7.5wt") and Revalved (see thread above) Front Forks (ok, that could be considered three changes right there...)

Changed Front and Rear Wheel to Carrozerria (still same stock 2003 tires)

Changed Rear Sprocket to 43 (from stock 45)

Changed from ball to roller bearings on the triple tree

I also did some basic maintenance (Oil and Coolant change).

Full Disclosure: I have a double adjustable Penske rear shock with 1100 lb/inch Hyperco spring which has been on the bike all year. I have added 6mm of rear shock length from stock and have the bounce and rebound set in the middle of the adjustment range.

My first ride was just supposed to be a 30 minute checkout of the setup, and confirmation that the tree bearings were set properly. Well, after 60 minutes of curve carving and bombing down every bumpy road I could find, I pulled back into the driveway a happy man. The XX feels much easier to not just turn in but hold a line in a curve, and the bump handling is just an order of magnitude improved. I got to the point where I was _trying_ to find mid-corner bumps to see how settled the bike was - and the results were very confidence inspiring.

So for now, until a more serious test, I seem to have done good :)