CBR1100XX.org Forum

Lowering link

Loosenuts

Anybody ever have a lowering link break? I was riding down the highway when all of a sudden by bike dropped to the ground. Luckily nothing seriously happened. I bought the link off Ebay from D2Moto any they say their links are made from 6061 T6 Aluminum.

post-7730-1188871302.jpg

post-7730-1188871315.jpg

We've seen this before, and it's probably attributed to a lack of lube on the pivots. Once they start to bind, it starts to work the link, itself, and failure is shortly behind.

Want to buy another one? :icon_biggrin:

Thanks for the offer on another link but, I already have one.

My link did have bushings. I talked to a friend and he thinks that the bushings might of been to short and the link could have been rubbing against the triangle bracket. I'm going to have a little talk with the company that I ordered the link from.

I have serious concerns about using lowering links on any Honda with the same suspension as the Bird.

That includes Fireblades, NSR 250 and Blackbird plus probably some others I dont know about.

Changing the length of the link imho causes higher loading by changing the geometry of the suspension, I can't see it being a good engineering practice.

If you really want to lower it, make new plates and adjust the position of the shock mounting hole to change the ride height.

If done this way you will not screw up the rising rate that the linkage is designed to give.

JohnS

We've seen this before, and it's probably attributed to a lack of lube on the pivots. Once they start to bind, it starts to work the link, itself, and failure is shortly behind.

Is this an issue only with aftermarket or altered parts? Does OEM link need lube? Where, when, how? No zerk in that area is there?

Is this an issue only with aftermarket or altered parts? Does OEM link need lube? Where, when, how? No zerk in that area is there?

When I installed the newer rear shock and Hyperpro springs I noticed the bearings in the linkage were not as smooth as they should be. I cleaned the bearings and added more grease and it smoothed everything out. That was at just over 30k miles.

• 5 months later...
Anybody ever have a lowering link break? I was riding down the highway when all of a sudden by bike dropped to the ground. Luckily nothing seriously happened. I bought the link off Ebay from D2Moto any they say their links are made from 6061 T6 Aluminum.

I just bought the same link for safety purposes. Can't quite put both feet down flat. I have several questions to ask you.I am about to install it. Would you give me a call at 787-646-2106 or give me your # and I will call you. One question is how much of a drop did you get with the first hole installation your picture shows? The link comes with 0 instructions. Can either hole be used? Did you carefully grease, transfer the needle bearings, and torque the link to the factory specs? I saw some info about other links made of 7071 for additional stiffness. The weird thing is 6061 is softer and should bend ,not break. Help!!!

How low you trying to go? If you only need a inche or inche and a 1/4 you can use the shock mount to lower it. Turn the mount one hole to the right and it will lower the bike. Not sure honda intended this, but it works. So why the clip in the front axle :icon_whistle:

The photos are not mine but I do have the same link.

The first hole gives you a one inch drop. The second gives you 3 inches but when I tried it, the tire looked like it would hit the fender and I don't know how you would drop the front that much. It's easy to put on so you might want to put it on as is and try it. If you like it, you can do as I did and take it to a machine shop and have them install the factory bearings.

Did you carefully grease, transfer the needle bearings, and torque the link to the factory specs?

Yes as stated above.

To drop the front the same amount, I just slide the forks up in the triple clamps.

How low you trying to go? If you only need a inche or inche and a 1/4 you can use the shock mount to lower it. Turn the mount one hole to the right and it will lower the bike. Not sure honda intended this, but it works. So why the clip in the front axle :icon_whistle:

You lost me. I want to lower the 1 to 1 and a 1/4 as you talked about. Turn the shock mount one hole to the right. Do you have a picture you can send. Doesn't seem I have that option. (99XX)

The "shock mount" he refers to is the triagular plates that connect the shock to the linkage. Rotating those in the appropriate direction will drop the rear. What other effect it might have on the rear suspension I couldn't tell you.

The "shock mount" he refers to is the triagular plates that connect the shock to the linkage. Rotating those in the appropriate direction will drop the rear. What other effect it might have on the rear suspension I couldn't tell you.
Thanks Redbird. I get it now.