CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bird's In The Shop, Slip On Recommendations

The Beakman

Whilst my bike is getting new locks all around and a few minor inconveniences taken care of, I figure now would be a good time to look into some performance mods.

What would be a good (great!) slip-on muffler (S) for a 2000 still stock bird? One requirement would be that they not be excessively noisy and may sometime work well with a PC II maybe in the future.

I can see it now: Beakman has his bike modded every time he's on the road working, untill sometime in 2011 he find some strange and mystical machine has been awaiting his return.

Slip-ons are going to be mostly about saving some weight and making a little more noise.

If you're looking for performance, a full system would be worth checking out. You'll find they're at about the same price point as slip-ons and a full system would see better gains once you fitted that PCII. My Akrapovic system had a nice sound, not at all obnoxious at reasonble RPMs.

Whatever you do, stay away from D&D.

I've been contemplating Oval Staintunes personally. I like that you can kinda adjust the sound output. They are a hell of a lot lighter than stock cans and aren't that much louder. Their claims of extra horses right out of the box may or may not be true but I'm more interested in the weight savings and the secondaryh extra horses would be cool.

Oh, and I second the D&D comments. If you don't want eardrums, grab a pair, otherwise don't get near 'em.

Bun

I really like my Yosh RS-3s. Fit like they grew there, noise is only a little louder than the stocker with a nice deep tone. Performance? I really don't think I gained any with the stock ECU. I did pick up a bit of fuel consumption though, so long as I keep the revs below about 4700, I picked up about 1-2 mpg over what I was getting with the stock pipes. It is about the same running at 5K RPM and above in 6th.

When my expense check comes in, I'm getting a PC-III USB and gonna use it to optimize fuel consumption. I'd love to get the 40 mpg my BMW's were giving me at the same speeds. Right now, it is more like 36-37 in that range.

A full system would not be out of the question IF, it would not interfere with the givi bags/mount rack, and the side stand, and not require a PC II right off the bat because of potentially damaging fueling issues.

I am leaning towards Acropovac/Scorpion, but only from ignorance rather than knowledge, I hear they have a good reputation. thanks for the heads up on the Yosh. I've heard only good things about the Staintune's, but just fron the Beemer bunch personally. Not as sexy as the others, though.

I'm happy with my Two Bros C5 Titanium slip ons. Sound awsome, especially @ 5,000+ rpm. Quiet at idle. Much lighter than OEM's and my Givi's fit fine. A full system is cheaper but of course you loose the "symetry" if that's important to you. I suspect you will need to dyno if you're adding a PCii. Also, the Tit pipes are cool to the touch immediately after a ride but the shiny parts are still hot. I've had these pipes on for the last five years and they may need to be re-packed after nearly 100,000 kms. I think I paid about $1,300.00 when I purchased them.

Speaking from just a sound viewpoint, the Two Bro's Ti C5 cans are nice. They offer a very good compromise between volume and tone while being fairly light weight as well. They do not drone at cruise speeds, have a noticeable rumble at idle, and what suprised me the most about them is that at higher RPM's, they are not too loud at all.

On a negative note, they could have been designed a little better as per the mid pipes and mounting set up. They sometimes want to rotate slightly but never to the point to where they would suffer from an exhaust leak.

If I were in your position, I'd keep an eye open for a good condition USED pair in the $300-400 range, but I would not pay new prices for them.

My full Muzzy system has worked well with a good topend pull. It has performed well over the last 15,000 miles...

The Muzzy 4>2>1 is no longer made, not mention they are equally as loud as D&D with the race or street race core

As long as we are on the subject, is there a full system on the market that retains both cans? I've looked around a little bit but have only found Enrion which are no longer made and extremely scarce.

+ another 1 on the D&D they are cheaply made and loud, but that is why the squid love 'em.

A full system would not be out of the question IF, it would not interfere with the givi bags/mount rack, and the side stand, and not require a PC II right off the bat because of potentially damaging fueling issues.

I am leaning towards Acropovac/Scorpion, but only from ignorance rather than knowledge, I hear they have a good reputation. thanks for the heads up on the Yosh. I've heard only good things about the Staintune's, but just fron the Beemer bunch personally. Not as sexy as the others, though.

Oops, I meant center stand!

side stand too