CBR1100XX.org Forum

Who has a Water Softener?

JB4XX

We built the house four years ago but are starting to see problems with build up from hard water. Our dishwasher is about to be tossed out, and faucets need cleaned of deposits.

Who has a water softener? Did it help much?

I know there is Culligan, and other brands work better than others?

I would talk to several local Plumbers as they should know as much about your local water quality as the water weenies. The weenies sell you way more than necessary because that is their one trick. An honest Plumber may well be able to install/advise on the minimum necessary to suit your needs. Every areas water quality and conditions are different so without knowing what kind of water, how old and what type of piping the distribution system is made of and the piping in your house, any non-specific answer would be smoke up your skirt.

I have had a RainSoft system installed for about 8 years now. It makes a noticeable difference in the amount of mineral buildup as well as the slick feeling while lathering up :icon_evilgrin: . Bad part is the damn thing cost 3K, but it works and has a lifetime warranty. It has had to be repaired 3 times. Once for the filter medium and twice for the auto flush valve. Labor is not free.

I'm glad to have this setup.

Sears has a similar unit....maybe Culligan, as mentioned above

YMMV

Josh as was mentioned earlier try a local plumber first the water conditioning companies rip you off big time. I fired my guy and started maintaining my system on my own. You first need to have your water tested to see what you have to work with. LOL.

I have a dual tank Kinetico that recycles based on flow rather than time. Uses way less salt that way. Call me and I'll give you the full poop.

+ 1 on the Kinetico. I installed and serviced them for 10 yrs. Dont fart around with anything else! They are not cheap but they are the best. Have more ? or want more specifics ... ask away.