CBR1100XX.org Forum

let's talk chains....

matey_peeps

needing a new one & sprockets on my bird, but all i see is 530 to 520 conversions. having never bought a new chain/sprockets before, i'im kinda lost. i've heard the 520 is a lighter chain and therefore not as long lived.

so my question is, is the 520 conversion ok, or should i stick with 530?

where can i get one for the best price?

can i buy a kit or do i have to buy all three pieces?

learned enough from big thumpers to stick with steel sprockets tho...

The 520 won't last long, and is rated for MUCH less HP than your bike produces. A broken chain can have extremely bad consequences. Meanwhile you won't feel the difference on a bike this heavy anyway.

I received my chain and sprocket today from Starcycle. Everything was exactly as ordered and priced.

I rode in the rain yesterday and now it looks like I wasted some wax on the old chain. :sad: From all the negative comments on Starcycle, I just wasn't sure the parts would get here very soon.

Negative comments on Starcycle?? Where? I ordered a chain and sprocket from them last week. I'm still waiting for them. They're supposed to be here today. I guess, we'll see.

Negative comments on Starcycle?? Where?

Check the vendor reviews section.

I'm glad you guys had good luck with them. They have lost my business forever. I vote with my dollar and Im not voting for them. :evil:

Thanks, Brett, I meant to say the "vendors reviews section". I knew you had some bad experiences with them but after talking with them I thought I would give them a shot. The only lower price I could find was White Buffalo Racing, and they couldn't guarantee delivery for at least a month.

I just ordered my chain from White Buffalo and it arrived in 3 days. They were out of everything but the 138 link monsters though. I went ahead and ordered that since it was still cheaper than everyone elses 120.

Nope. I waited around until the mailman came today, but no package for me. Dammit, they told me middle of the week and here it is going on Friday. If it's not in by tomorrow, I'm calling them to see what's up. If they haven't sent it yet, I'm canceling the order.

I cant figure this out. My chain is stretched very badly. I figure the cs sprocket is toast. I pulled off the cover earlier and the damn thing looks perfect. Granted it may not look perfect when my new sprocket comes in and I hold them up together. Will it hurt if I put a couple hundred miles on with the new chain and the old sprocket? Hopefully I won't have to but I'm afraid my new sprocket won't be here in time for my trip this weekend.

Oh and isnt the stock cs sprocket a 17 tooth?

yup, cs sprocket oem is 17T.

lotsa opinions on new chain + old sprocket, but front sprockets are not too costly, and easy to do yourself (even if you go to the dealer have them install the chain on the old sprocket, ride home, change the old sprocket for the new one yourself at home), imho - I would change within 1k miles.

p.s. how many miles on that chain?

I thought it was the original chain and sprocket. I got the bike with 8k miles. It now has about 19.8k miles on it. The chain says DID 530ZVS? Not sure what that is. I counted the teeth on my sprocket and its a 16t. Oh well. The replacement sprocket should be in today but who knows. I was really surprised at how good the current cs sprocket looked though. I guess its no oem though...since it a 16.

if it's the original chain then you didn't do bad with the mileage. i did 29k with my original and the list told me my karma was all used up at that number :grin:

Okay... RichardCranium, I shoulda read your post before buying from Starcycle... Still no parts today. I called Starcycle, and at first they had a hard time finding my order. And when they did, it was still sitting there in the shop. And it was promised to be at my door two days ago!! I canceled my order with them. Let's see how long it takes them to credit back my chargecard. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I got my chain and sprockets from Star Cycle today ...took about 10 days

...Longer than I expected ...but I was not in a rush for the order to arrive,

I got a 16t front ...but I also put in a jet kit the other day. It runs so much better I dont think I'll put on the 16 ... maybe I'll save it for later

I can finally get the wheel up with ease :grin:

:cool: