CBR1100XX.org Forum

Lowering Stats (rear)

A number of questions have come up about lowering the Blackbird, but as far as I know the actual (typical) measurements have not been recorded and made available to our members; the following is in reference to lowering the rear only.

The factory seat height is 31.9"/81.026cm/810.26mm...

Rotating the linkage plates (120* clockwise, viewed from sidestand/left side) reduces seat height to 30.125"/76.5175cm/765.175mm...

Use of an aftermarket lowering link (i.e., Pro-Tek, @4.75"/12.065cm/120.65mm, center/center first hole*) without plates rotated reduces seat height to 30.0"/76.2cm/762mm...

*(Second hole @ 5.75"/14.605cm/146.05mm, c/c, is not recommended for XX application, as it gives a drop of 3.0"/7.62cm/76.2mm and will likely have clearance issues on a street bike).

Measurements taken on stock '99 XX with no other suspension alterations; free sag was static/consistent.

Combining the rotated plates with the Pro-Tek lowering link would likely yield a drop of almost 3.7" (No, I didn't try it...), an application that might only be reasonable on the drag strip...

So there is a 1.8 inch drop from moving the plates. That's a lot. I don't think that you could drop the front by using the triple that much without things hitting.

I agree. Although I have not personally tested it, I understand the maximum the forks can be raised in the trees (thus lowering the front end) and still have sufficient suspension travel clearance is 1"/25.4mm. Of course, the condition of the fork internals will have varying effects on actual suspension travel... (4.3"/10.922cm/109.22mm per factory specs).

• 7 months later...
Is there a special process in rotating those plates. Like removing any pressure off the shock?

Thanks

Mark S.

Yes, the bolts holding the plates must be completely removed... So, the weight of the swingarm/wheel/tire assembly must be borne by blocks of wood, or the equivalent (assuming the frame is supported by the centerstand or a scissors jack) during the procedure.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just did this mod over the weekend (Rotating the plates). Worked out very nicely. I also have a lowering link. My buddy uses just the lowering link and he used the 3" drop portion of the link (It has either a 1" or 3" drop). I prefer to use the 1" as it is less stress on the link and less change to the geometrics of the suspension. So with the 1" link and the plate rotation, it worked really well.

Thanks for the tip here.....