CBR1100XX.org Forum

82,000 mile sprocket

telliot647

Here's a pic of my just-removed front sprocket after 82K miles. This is what happens when a bolt snaps, then an extractor snaps trying to remove said snapped bolt. Then the STM gets lazy and just leaves it there.

Surprisingly, I think it looks pretty good. As a side note, I didn't notice any decrease in life of chains that I've put on.

I put the new one next to it for comparison.

post-1824-1182522754.jpg

I dunno, it looks pretty trashed to me. Really flattened out and the return side is really fuxxored. But still, 82K is pretty impressive -- I certainly wouldn't have left it on that long, but then again I'm so unbelievably anal about that kinda thing its unreal.

Bun

Are the interior splines worn as well, as it kind of appears in the pic, and what does the countershaft look like if they are?

As said, impressive milage out of a sprocket either way.

Are the interior splines worn as well, as it kind of appears in the pic, and what does the countershaft look like if they are?

Good eye my young Padowan. Those Splines would worry me more than the Sprocket Teeth because they are fuuucked uuppp. Hopefully the Designers of the bike (them little Jap Fuckers) made sure that the Countershaft Splines are considerably harder that the Sprocket. If not things could be ugly on that bike.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good eye my young Padowan. Those Splines would worry me more than the Sprocket Teeth because they are fuuucked uuppp. Hopefully the Designers of the bike (them little Jap Fuckers) made sure that the Countershaft Splines are considerably harder that the Sprocket. If not things could be ugly on that bike.

Sorry for the slow reply, but I've been away since I posted this.

Anyway, the countershaft was a good shape - I put the new sporcket on and it was nice and tight - no wiggle for the new one.

Yet another reason to keep buying Hondas!

Jeeez Tom, how did YOU get the bolt out with a broken easy out in there?

Have you owned it since new?

I decieded that that bolt is never coming out, so I cut the sprocket cover so I could get to the sprocket. Perfect solution? Definitely not. Working solution? Sure :icon_neutral:

I have owned the bike since new - bought it in Los Angeles and 3 days later rode it 6,000 miles back to PA to break it in :-)

My two cents, why would you ride so many miles before changing chain and sprockets? :icon_eek:

Generally, I wouldn't do this. In fact, I was planning to change the sprocket at about 40K miles or so, until I broke the head off one of the sprocket cover bolts, then broke an EZ-out off when trying to extract said bolt. At that point, I just got dumb and lazy and left it on. I finally decided I've pushed it far enough and resorted to the old hacksaw.

One Q? If ya got 82K out of the stock one, why ya puting on a P.O.S.? Another OE one would be better wouldnt it?

See above - I was, when I bought it, only replacing a sprocket with about 40K miles on it. Now that I have 84K on it, I doubt it would matter WHAT sprocket I put on it, as I don't see it getting more than about 40K more before I get a new bike.