CBR1100XX.org Forum

starter problem

kiwimack

okay, the bird just started doing this,

when starting all I get is a rapid clicking sound.

I can push start it fine, the battery is charged (on a tender).

anyone had this problem?

have not got a volt meter here or a manual , will have tomorrow. I am thinking I'll have to replace the starter...................

any comments.

Sounds like what the starter does when there's not quite enough juice to engage it fully. I've heard a simlar clicking sound on several occasion. How old is the battery?

We've seen a lot of batteries, R/Rs and stators go around here, but yours would be the first starter I've heard of. Get that multimeter and check everything before jumping on the starter. Also keep in mind a battery can show 12+ volts and still not be doing the job. Most Autozones will test them for you, see what kind of amps the thing can push.

Joe's dead on...

I'd check and clean all your connections on the battery and solenoid first. Also make sure your battery is fully charged, I'd try boosting it off a car battery as I have a small set of cables for this to see if it starts. If so changes are your battery has gone south.

changed out the battery , and viola she works. I thought the batteries were good for at least 7 years..................... anyway problem solved...............

thanks for the replies and assistance.........................