CBR1100XX.org Forum

sprocket

lexxus

WoW!!

went out for my first ride of the season. i installed a 18t front, i have a speed'o healer also installed. riding with a couple buddy's gixxer's 1000/02 & 750/03 got into it with them, bird pulling long and strong. when i checked my speed'o healer for top speed achived, it read 164. i was in 5th only when i backed out of it,tach reading about 9500 pulling away from both of them with no signs of of stopping in that gear. is a 18t that much better? i was all smiles coz i felt the bird for the frist time has all the spunk i've wanted without doing engine work. am i making sense? are my numbers ,sound like this is possible for the bird with this gear setup? i luv the way it pull's thru the corners now. im 6ft 195 i could always power wheelie it in first, now i hit the rev limiter. i need to learn to shift gears to ride the wheelie out further though. what can i expect topend with this setup? :icon_evilgrin:

Morning, Donald.

Installing your 18t front sprocket should get no significant change in top speed. The XX only has so much power regardless of how its geared.

Your speedo healer will need to be reset now that the final gear ratio has changed. Remember the speedometer reading comes from the countershaft of the transmission, and if you change the sprockets, it doesn't know anything about it.

Your speedo healer will need to be reset now that the final gear ratio has changed. Remember the speedometer reading comes from the countershaft of the transmission, and if you change the sprockets, it doesn't know anything about it.

+1

Borrow a GPS unit to calibrate the speedo-healer... You might be surprised how close the factory speedo is with the 18T front sprocket...

I forgot to mention that part. When I went to the 18t front, I just took my speedometer adjuster out. Its just about exact. Of course, now the odometer is off........

Hey Joe!

yeah i thought the speedometer would be close to exact, but i did do a reset of my speed'o healer, and riding beside my buddys bikes, my speedometer was 1 to 2 miles ahour faster then theres. maybe now i just hav'ta make sure i m at lease close with my calibrations. maybe i'll call speedo healer for more advise. but i do like this 18t ! beside's i also like to push the botton in a crowd of bikers showing what speed was reached, even if it is a little off!! they go damnn.

So what sprocket does the XX come with stock? I've been toying with the idea but haven't made ans serious inquiries about it.

Did you go up from stock or down?

K

So what sprocket does the XX come with stock? I've been toying with the idea but haven't made ans serious inquiries about it.

K

XX comes with 17T front, 45T Rear...

18T Front slows down acceleration gives better millage... or at least it should.

16T gives more acceleration and less millage due to higher RPM

All the way to 14. rear to 68 also. In the sand the response was violent. On the 1/8 mile,,,,pretty short shifting. Rev limit was given a workout. I still have the fronts, if you gotta know, One down in the front equals three up in the rear. The 14 will take out the chain buffer in no time though.

K

XX comes with 17T front, 45T Rear...

18T Front slows down acceleration gives better millage... or at least it should.

16T gives more acceleration and less millage due to higher RPM

I've found over ~20k miles since I did the 18t, that the 'bird has enough torque that it doesn't slow the acceleration down much at all. In fact, I do slightly better in the 1/4 mile with the 18T because I can go WOT in first and just hang the front end up about 6" instead of doing a "real" wheelie if I went WOT with the 17t. mph is about the same, with the 18T getting ME maybe 1mph due to a better launch.

It also makes first gear usable for tight switchbacks in the mountains, where it wasn't before, due to the jerkyness. I also just stick it in second now to do the 'gap, whereas with the 17t, I was switching between second and third before.

I won't go back to the 17t with acceleration not being perceptively slower, and getting that extra 2-3mpg on the highway, along with making the gear ratio spread a bit more how I like it...

Mike

Plus, my chain has right at 20,000 miles on it and has not been "adjusted" other than when I changed tires, and it didn't even need adjustment when I changed them, I just made sure it was correct.

Has anyone played with going down a tooth on the front sprocket? I'm aware of the ratio changes but curious about the results.

K

Hi Kev

I put a 18T sprocket on last year & I love it also.

I don't think that I will go back to a 17T sprocket either.

Hmmmmmmmm....... interesting information guys. I wouldn't have though that going UP in teeth would have been the ideal but it sounds like that may be the direction to head.

I was thinking a little more "get up and get going" but if going up a tooth in front won't loose any real accel then maybe, just maybe....

The 1/4 mile results speak for themselves. Just out of curiosity what do you/did you run in the 1/4 and what's done to your XX?

K

I have run the quarter mile a few times , about 7 times so far. My 5th run was the fastest at 10.98 sec.

I have always run with Adam, Beondwacko, at the track. He is a much better rider than I am and he went up a tooth or two on the REAR. His best as of last week was a 10.40 sec I believe. he will be on here before to long and speak for himself.

Going up a tooth in the front is not going to help you in the quarter mile in my opinion but it will help on the gas mileage for sure. My pennys worth !

I have gone in the other direction from the "long haulers" on the board here. I went down one tooth to a 16T front sprocket and stock 45T on the rear. Because of my weight ( 210 lbs or about 225-230 with full leathers and helmet ) I prefer the 16T for my riding style. I had been running last year a 17/47T combo, but there had been a few other changes besides the gearing made since then so it's difficult to pinpoint what gains were made or had with the gearing change. I'm actually curious about going back to a 17T primary though. I am going through the traps at the far end of the track at just about redline in 4th gear. If I end up spraying the bike as I plan to, I will certainly have to go back to the 17T or I'll run out of RPM's before the end of the 1/4 mile.

I forgot to mention that part. When I went to the 18t front, I just took my speedometer adjuster out. Its just about exact. Of course, now the odometer is off........

Hey Joe!

yeah i thought the speedometer would be close to exact, but i did do a reset of my speed'o healer, and riding beside my buddys bikes, my speedometer was 1 to 2 miles ahour faster then theres. maybe now i just hav'ta make sure i m at lease close with my calibrations. maybe i'll call speedo healer for more advise. but i do like this 18t ! beside's i also like to push the botton in a crowd of bikers showing what speed was reached, even if it is a little off!! they go damnn.

When you went up to an 18 on the front, did you stay with the stock 45 tooth on the back? Or go down any on it? I was thinking of maybe going 18/43 when my stock wears out. :icon_scratchhead:

Hey Joe!

When you went up to an 18 on the front, did you stay with the stock 45 tooth on the back? Or go down any on it? I was thinking of maybe going 18/43 when my stock wears out. :icon_scratchhead:

hey redbird!

Man i want so badly to replace my plastic's to red. awesum color. well i stayed with the 45t, i tried a 16/45combo it was nice but i thought it was to torguey for my riding style. i dont know about tha 18/43combo but i did do a 17/43 and found the bird is in a never ending pulling mode, and you will need a long enough road too, and time to run it allout. when i was with friends on a trip to mytle beach busa's zx12's cbr900 aslong as i was already rolling keeping close was easy, in the short runs the bird with that setup was a fuel mileage king, also with the 17/43 there was no adjustment's to the chain to be made.i was at the end of the adjustment on the swingarm but the chain was tight. may need to remove a link or two with 17/43. 18/43 maybe good though. let me know if this works for you, i really like this 18/45. what ratio would the 18/43 give you? ie 1 down makes three up in rear.

Stock 17/45 in high gear will give an overall reduction, counting the primary and 6th gear of 4.3333.

18/45 is 4.092

16/45 is 4.604

17/43 is 4.140

On none of them is a one tooth change in the front sprocket equal to a 3 tooth change in the rear. That would require a 15/45.

Stock 17/45 in high gear will give an overall reduction, counting the primary and 6th gear of 4.3333.

18/45 is 4.092

16/45 is 4.604

17/43 is 4.140

On none of them is a one tooth change in the front sprocket equal to a 3 tooth change in the rear. That would require a 15/45.

17/42=4.044

18/45=4.092

Was what I was thinking was close to the same.

Has anyone played with going down a tooth on the front sprocket? I'm aware of the ratio changes but curious about the results.

K

Hi Kev

I put a 18T sprocket on last year & I love it also.

I don't think that I will go back to a 17T sprocket either.

With 18T front and stock 45T rear, is the chain still 110 links?

About the 1/4 mile question... Mine was 11.25 with the 17t, and 11.20 with the 18t.

It is not faster with the 18t, but it isn't very much slower, and I can get a better run at first gear with it... My times are so slow because I won't launch the thing very hard because after all, this is my street bike that I put close to 20k a year on, and I like getting 20-30k on a chain, and 7k out of a rear Power, and hope to get close to 100k out of the clutch...

At the time, I was just running punched baffled stock pipes and a Factory jet kit.

Mike

All,

Have you found damped 18T fronts ?

Thanks.

Gene

I don't believe they are available - 16T damped from a VFR Vtech I believe are ? :icon_confused:

All,

Have you found damped 18T fronts ?

Thanks.

Gene

I don't believe they are available - 16T damped from a VFR Vtech I believe are ? :icon_confused:

I've looked high and low with no luck....

But with a 18T undamped you shouldn't get as much wine as a 16 or 17 without a damped as the sprocket is larger