CBR1100XX.org Forum

FI again

XXSTAR

the FI light came on again this morning.

I did the loom fix and the light has not come on for a 100 miles are so, did not come on during the dyno run.

this morning it came on, same thing runs perfect til it comes on then you can feel a power loss,[ very small amount] it will still run no misses.

I can turn the key off start it back, the light stays off, then it happens again.

I have had time to check anything yet.

It was about 43 degrees. [ this morning] can the air temp have anything to do with the FI light coming on,.? I rode it last nite temp about 65

and the light didn't come on. I will get it out when it warms up, later today

any suggestion. my baby is sick, please help, sad in Mississippi. Ron

I put a new PC-111 on the bike then had a dyno done.

new plugs

new air filter, K&N

It is stock with erion slip ons

I am going to ride it down the road here in a little bit. temp about 60 now. thanks Ron

My XX is stock with the exception of a set of cans. The FI light came on while riding after a period of the bike sitting up. It actually tried to stall on me while sitting at a red light.

I purchased some fuel injector cleaner and put that in with a tank of gas and it took care of the problem. I think it was the STP fuel injector cleaner that comes in a silver container. If I remember correctly, it's not just strictly for the fuel injectors and you add it just prior to filling up the bike with gas.

Anyway, it worked well for me.

Hope this helps.

Starting with the obvious and most easiest....

TopXXCop wins the $5 or less repair award and a real bonus if it works then Yay for you.

Second I would start verifying connections to the power commander.

Third I would start verifying the map load and settings on the power commander. Somebody posted a video link on here somewhere just the other day about how to adjust the low, mid, and high ranges, on the PC3 USB.

Thats my take on things but I am a glorified, shade tree mechanic too....So take it for what it might be worth. The recent Dyno run is leaning me towards fuel/air mixture ratios.

EDIT: Your 4 month old gas in the tank post leads me to believe TopXXCop nailed this one. Seafoam and some fresh 93 (94 if you have Sunoco gas station) and you should be good to go. Did you run that thing on the dyno with that old gas? Was it you that ran your XX on the dyno lately?

just got back from a 10 mile ride, left the store the light came on in a 1/2 mile. turn the key off restarted it rode the rest of the way with no problems. I will try again after lunch. I will ride til it comes on then take the PC-111 off and see if it comes on.

I will see if I can get a code on it

has anyone had a FI come on because of the cold temp.

Sounds like something is retarding either the timing or fuel supply once that FI light comes on. I would take it on a longer ride to get that sea foam and fresh gas running through the FI rail and injectors.

Maybe do the ole "round the block" type of ride. Do not stray to far from the house ya know.

Darn, Ron, that sucks. Hope you can get it

sorted out before you leave for Barber. That

always seems to happen - whenever you

want to do something that's really fun, there

will always be something to go wrong at the

worst possible time. After doing that loom

work it seemed you had the problem solved.

I'd definitely give the fuel injector cleaner

a try. Good luck.

TopXXCop wins the $5 or less repair award and a real bonus if it works then Yay for you.

Third I would start verifying the map load and settings on the power commander. Somebody posted a video link on here somewhere just the other day about how to adjust the low, mid, and high ranges, on the PC3 USB.

Thats my take on things but I am a glorified, shade tree mechanic too....So take it for what it might be worth. The recent Dyno run is leaning me towards fuel/air mixture ratios.

EDIT: Your 4 month old gas in the tank post leads me to believe TopXXCop nailed this one. Seafoam and some fresh 93 (94 if you have Sunoco gas station) and you should be good to go. Did you run that thing on the dyno with that old gas? Was it you that ran your XX on the dyno lately?

First what is SEAFOAM, and second you only need 91 or 92 octane anything higher is not a performance gain.

Octane any higher is only helpfull IF you have a high compression engine or hot engine detonation problem.

First what is SEAFOAM, and second you only need 91 or 92 octane anything higher is not a performance gain.

Octane any higher is only helpfull IF you have a high compression engine or hot engine detonation problem.

Scientifically you are 100% correct. Mentally it makes my bikes and cars faster. Plus you get gas octane braggin' rights. :icon_whistle:

Scientifically you are 100% correct. Mentally it makes my bikes and cars faster. Plus you get gas octane braggin' rights. :icon_whistle:

well acording to the gas companys there higher octane fuel has some type of engine tretment in it. Ron

Darn, Ron, that sucks. Hope you can get it

sorted out before you leave for Barber. That

always seems to happen - whenever you

want to do something that's really fun, there

will always be something to go wrong at the

worst possible time. After doing that loom

work it seemed you had the problem solved.

I'd definitely give the fuel injector cleaner

a try. Good luck.

thanks Doug u r a nice guy!!!!!!!!!!

How old is your battery? Its possible that an old battery will not supply enough power to the FI under load.

Hi octane gas burns slower than regular and will lead to fouling in a relativly low compression engine such as the BB.

If you have removed the tank recently and have disconnected any of the sensors, double check any reconnections you have made.

This very same symptom was corrected yesterday on my friends XX. The manual lists the codes. Took us straight to it.

Nine blinks. I think it was called the ATL sensor? Just under the tank.

I think you'll find the codes about page 160 of the manual.

my .02 cents

Cal

About this higher octane thing.......

I have heard folks talk about this and even read the white papers about this high octane, carbon building scenario......

How's come it "FEELS" like the bike runs better with the higher octane stuff in it? Can somebody splain that to me?

Articles and links are welcome. Not trying to hi-jack so PM me what you know.

SeaFoam: Good stuff.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

Mentally, it makes you stupid for throwing away good money on gas which buys you nothing, including no more power. IF you set up and dyno your bike with the different gas, and tune your power commander and air flow, etc, to run specifically for higher octane gas, you will get some performance gain. But at the expense of blowing a ton of money on fuel for little to no horsepower. You want to believe it helps you, fine.

I've fun 87 in my birds and NEVER had a problem. I've run 93 octane and never felt a difference.

Ron: Check out the manual http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=32678 and read the codes, it will tell you what's wrong. I would suggest making sure all wires and sensors are firmly connected.

SeaFoam: Good stuff.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

Mentally, it makes you stupid for throwing away good money on gas which buys you nothing, including no more power. IF you set up and dyno your bike with the different gas, and tune your power commander and air flow, etc, to run specifically for higher octane gas, you will get some performance gain. But at the expense of blowing a ton of money on fuel for little to no horsepower. You want to believe it helps you, fine.

I've fun 87 in my birds and NEVER had a problem. I've run 93 octane and never felt a difference.

Ron: Check out the manual http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=32678 and read the codes, it will tell you what's wrong. I would suggest making sure all wires and sensors are firmly connected.

Thank you for clearing that up. Nice to be grounded again. I was getting a little to high on my pedestal so I appreciate the baseball bat to the nuts. :icon_redface:

In hindsite I appreciate the wealth of knowledge and promise to never buy any gas over 89 octane again. The new mini-van owner's manual says 89 or higher so in an effort to not be "stupid" I will stick to the minimum recommendation of octane for all vehicles I own. Besides what the fuck do the gas companies know anyway? Thieving bastards. Trying to get that extra $1.30 out of me. How dare they?

NBL Hobie.

EDIT: Found this. Good Read with additional reference material links >> http://theserviceadvisor.com/octane.htm#5

Thank you for clearing that up. Nice to be grounded again. I was getting a little to high on my pedestal so I appreciate the baseball bat to the nuts. :icon_redface:

In hindsite I appreciate the wealth of knowledge and promise to never buy any gas over 89 octane again. The new mini-van owner's manual says 89 or higher so in an effort to not be "stupid" I will stick to the minimum recommendation of octane for all vehicles I own. Besides what the fuck do the gas companies know anyway? Thieving bastards. Trying to get that extra $1.30 out of me. How dare they?

NBL Hobie.

1) This is Ron's thread about his FI light. I'm not at home and therefore don't have the manual here to tell him how to make the computer display the codes. I can tell him where to go to find that information.

2) Louie: Google is your friend. Enjoy tossing good money after bad.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm

http://autorepair.about.com/od/generalinfo/a/aa060504a.htm

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/041008.html

http://www.wanderings.net/books/is-high-oc...worth-the-money

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Octane is a measure of how much the fuel can be compressed before it ignites. It's a measurement of flashpoint at a particular pressure, and has nothing to do with the amount of power. The way to increase power is to increase compression before ignition. Changing the fuel without modifying the engine does nothing to this equation, as you are not increasing compression, and therefore the best you can hope for is that you get the correct air/fuel ratio in the chamber before it ignites. IF you are increasing cylinder bore, altering your cranks or cams, or adding a turbo, then by God use a higher compression gas. IF you are using an ignition advancer which is altering timing and overriding the knock sensors, etc.. you may gain some performance gain, but just putting the gas in your tank and running the bike buys you nothing but less cash in your pocket.

My XX is stock with the exception of a set of cans. The FI light came on while riding after a period of the bike sitting up. It actually tried to stall on me while sitting at a red light.

I purchased some fuel injector cleaner and put that in with a tank of gas and it took care of the problem. I think it was the STP fuel injector cleaner that comes in a silver container. If I remember correctly, it's not just strictly for the fuel injectors and you add it just prior to filling up the bike with gas.

Anyway, it worked well for me.

Hope this helps.

Bill,

We have got to keep that bike on the road.

I did 300 miles last Saturday and went right past you.

May meet up with friends for a ride in Thomasville Saturday.

SeaFoam is great stuff. I run 1/2 can through each bike every couple of months.

I did have the Fi light come on once on my 01. It had sat on my trailer in rain, and a very cool, foggy morning. It went off and never returned once the bike dried.

What's your barbers name?

:icon_evilgrin:

Oh yeah,

about your bike,

Sell it!

We all know the carbed bikes are faster anyway.

Its a race track J, it is in Bringham Alabama. there is going to be a AMA race this week-end. I do know a little. Ron