CBR1100XX.org Forum

Seeing Red about Red

Moriartii

In light of Dave's painting questions, I have one of my own that maybe some can assist me with. Painted my living room red and while it looks nice it is "streaky", how do I correct this? I painted over new construction freshly painted walls using no primer. I used Behr satin red paint with a 1/2 roller. I assume the way to fix this is to paint over it with a kilz or some sort of base. Then how do I reapply my topcoat to avoid the streakiness?

Help is appreciated.

Kinley

Best way is to use a quality primer/sealer, tinted to the color of the finish coat.

Then paint over that with your finish coat.

Painting takes 2 steps, no matter what you do.

You probably know this but I'll say it anyway. It's important when using a roller to get a good quality roller and don't apply too much pressure when rolling out the paint. You don't want to squeeze out every last bit of paint off the roller - a light even pressure while spreading the paint and re-apply paint to the roller as needed. Also, as you're applying go at a slight diagonal over the just painted areas to help spread the paint evenly. I've painted for many years professionally and these are a couple of things that are common when streaks are evident. The others are correct - you'll have to prime it to seal out the dried streaky areas - otherwise it'll just show through no matter how you apply subsequent coats. Satins are tougher than others because they're less reflective - reflective light hides some imperfections. Good luck!

had the same problem...even with a darker base I ended up putting 6 coats of paint on. Edge as little as possible, roll even and try not to overlap the edging too much. Roll evenly, and I repeat, try not to overlap too much.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably too obvious for you but here goes: Make sure the paint is well mixed - use a paddle on the end of a hand drill - especially if it wasn't been shaken earlier in the same day...

M

• 11 months later...