CBR1100XX.org Forum

speaking of chains

XX

got mine from kneedraggers.com, they had to drop ship it from some place in MO though :roll:

whitebuffalo couldn't get 'em.. i think they had a better price, and are right up the street from me :???:

i'm thinking those precarious thoughts of buying the tools to do it myself instead of having to go to a DEALER.... hmmpppffff.... :mad:

I'm in the market for a chain too. I don't know what it is with the dealers around here. I went to one that I normally don't buy from a while back and he quoted me for a 530 VM. He seemed kinda dumb so I just said thanks and left.

Today I go to my perferred dealer. They are Honda only and are great guys. I ask how much a chain is for a Blackbird...the guy can't remember what size the chain is so I tell him 530. Not that big of a deal except he is the parts guy AND he rides a bird. :roll:

He quotes me $102. Immediately I know that its the wrong chain so I ask which one he is quoting me for. He says DID. :roll:

No I mean which model is it? Oh...its the standard one. Yes but which one...what model number. 530VM. No thats the wrong one. So then he says...but its what I use on my bike. <sigh> Just look up the ZVM for me please. $180. Thats about what I figured it would be from them. I asked him if that was the best he could do because I wanted to give them my money as opposed to ordering it but that was simply too much of a difference. He asks how much I can order it for. I tell him $130. He says $155 is the best he can do...and HE cant even order them for 130.

Then the other parts buy throws in with HEY...RK makes a good chain...its what I use on my RC51. Its about 100 bucks. Ok...which one? The RK XSO. At that point I was just irritated because they were trying tell me these were good and blah blah they used them and yadda yadda. I said I didnt think that was the right model for the RK either but I would check and let them know.

Fuck it. I think Ill just buy the chain tools and do it myself.

From reading everyones posts here there is a significant difference in the VM and the ZVM and Ill assume the XSO and GWX are the similarly different.

I think Ill heed the advice of those who have been there and done that over the advice of someone who wants to sell me somthing. It just bugs me because I like those guys and want to think that in this case they may just not be too familiar with the difference rather than just trying to bullshit me.

The place charges $30 to put the chain on. My bro in law needs a chain too...so I figured we could just buy the chain tool and come out ahead in the long run.

I know its been discussed somewhere before but what is a good chain tool? I checked on line and the motion pro looked decent and was like $75 or so.

$75 for the tool that will do the whole change?

except maybe cut the old chain off with a dremel tool?

this tool will remove the extra links that i won't need because i run a 16t front sprocket?

and do the rivet stuff?

and press the plate stuff?

geesh, i'm SURE that the honda dealer will charge me that to put the thing on... but haven't called yet, might as well buy the tool and do it myself.

anybody see the chain install article in the last 'RoadBike'?

me new chain showed today :grin:

off to the dealer tomorrow to see if i can get drive thru service, otherwise, hopefully wednesday!!!!

approachin 29k.... and i can feel the chain now, kinda like those marbles we talk about being in the engine with the CCT goes bad?.....

.... and hopefully it's just the chain makin those noises, as i DID just change my old CCT for a new X-11 CCT :shock:

• 6 months later...

That's a good price, G2, but I didn't think that they made the ZVM in gold?

I got my last chain (ZVM) from MAW for $136 including shipping last fall, but am looking for another for a buddy. Is that definately a ZVM as stated in the auction?

Then the other parts buy throws in with HEY...RK makes a good chain...its what I use on my RC51. Its about 100 bucks. Ok...which one? The RK XSO.  

From reading everyones posts here there is a significant difference in the VM and the ZVM and Ill assume the XSO and GWX are the similarly different.  

Richard

If anything the RK XSO is worse than a DID ZM. I currently have the RK XSO [Honda dealer claimed it was an upgrade]. It's done about 17000km [10,500 miles] and is COMPLETELY SHAGGED [as in well into Replace chain, surging, noisy. And I just commute!

I got 24,000km on the stock.

chaparral motorsports installs chains for 35-40 bucks. I called one time it was 35 this time it was 40 :) heheh. They offer drive in service on first come first serve during the week and on Sat all they do is simple maint so if you get there later in the day you may only have a short wait.

I have not used them but plan on being there Sat for the chain swap. They also have a 114link did zvm530 at $133.

I HOPE this fixes my surge problems :)