CBR1100XX.org Forum

Drill bit purchase

OrganDonor

I'm looking to pick up a set of drill bits. I'm looking for the regular bits, not hole bits, or masonry bits, etc.

The average large set seems to have 29 pieces, and have a variety of "features." Titanium coated, cobalt, etc.

I want a high quality set for general use.... wood, plastic, light metal drilling. What should I look at, for under $100?

go to McMaster.com and look up the drill bit intro page (I know its in their hard copy catalog) for a brief education on bit materials. Titanium coated colbalt alloy is probably the best for most any material if you expect to drill some difficult alloys without going custom tooled. Beware the cheap shit Ti coated bargains. The base material is shit and will snap, bend, or just plain go limp just as soon as you look at them. Northern tool may have a 19 bit set for $99. Usually, at least in my case, a smaller set with replacements for smaller tap sizes are more usefull than the a full boat 29 or 64 piece set.

P.S. Don't forget the cutting oil. A $5 quart will save you hundreds!

Cutting oil? :icon_think:

When do I use that, and what does it do? (Does it cut down on the friction/heat build up?)

(Thanks, BTW)

Yes, it provides more effective surface area for heat to move from the drill bit to the base material, so you don't aneal the drill bit and cause it to go soft and lose its edge. You know you've done this when the drill bit is blue at the end and stops cutting.

As an asside, if it gets really too hot, it will evaporate the oil and take a lot of heat with it doing that.

Mike

When do I use that, and what does it do? (Does it cut down on the friction/heat build up?)

(Thanks, BTW)

Use when drilling into metal. Your drill bits will thank you.

I have the model 10144 29 pc. set shown here...

Vermont American HSS drill bits

They have been holding up well, and sharpen easy for not alot of $$. I always use cutting oil when drilling steel.

I also have some cobalt bits in tap sizes for drilling out bolts, etc. Cobalt is expensive so I don't recommend buying a large set since most of them will never see use. Cobalt bits are also very brittle which means they break easily and are also much harder to sharpen. They will just eat away at your grinding wheel instead of getting a good edge.

The bits with the "super hard space age coating" work great until the coating wears off, which is about 2 seconds of drilling into steel.

And don't bother with a Drill Doctor. I can sharpen bits better and faster on a bench grinder.

Also the bits with the "fast cutting specially ground tips" work great. The tip lasts about 3 seconds longer than the "space age" coatings, and you can't sharpen them :icon_confused:

(Thanks, BTW)

They have been holding up well, and sharpen easy for not alot of $$. I always use cutting oil when drilling steel.

I also have some cobalt bits in tap sizes for drilling out bolts, etc. Cobalt is expensive so I don't recommend buying a large set since most of them will never see use. Cobalt bits are also very brittle which means they break easily and are also much harder to sharpen. They will just eat away at your grinding wheel instead of getting a good edge.

The bits with the "super hard space age coating" work great until the coating wears off, which is about 2 seconds of drilling into steel.

And don't bother with a Drill Doctor. I can sharpen bits better and faster on a bench grinder.

Also the bits with the "fast cutting specially ground tips" work great. The tip lasts about 3 seconds longer than the "space age" coatings, and you can't sharpen them :icon_confused:

brett:

how, exactly, do you find this stuff in your garage?

:icon_biggrin:.

When a bolt head snaps off or strips left handed drill bits are mighty handy. Consider getting a small pack of them as well.

+1. I have a few of them myself. They have saved me some trouble over the years.

(Thanks, BTW)

brett:

how, exactly, do you find this stuff in your garage?

:icon_biggrin:.

You're gonna shit your pants the next time you come over :icon_evilgrin:

I've been looking for the same answer--I want to buy my last drill bit set no matter the price.

So what do you guys think of the McMaster 28115A74? (I can't post links, their pages won't link directly)

Cobalt steel, TiN, 15 pieces at 32nd increments. For general use, occasional steel drilling (actually not needed often, but when I need it I don't want to fuck around).

I've been looking for the same answer--I want to buy my last drill bit set no matter the price.

So what do you guys think of the McMaster 28115A74? (I can't post links, their pages won't link directly)

Cobalt steel, TiN, 15 pieces at 32nd increments. For general use, occasional steel drilling (actually not needed often, but when I need it I don't want to fuck around).

Cobalt is best for drilling steel, esp. hardened steel like grade 8 bolts. As I said before it's much cheaper to buy the HSS bright finish bits for everyday use and just buy a few cobalt bits in the common sizes. You'll never buy your "last set". Drill bits break and wear out with use, it's just a fact of life.

Yikes! At that price it would have to be drill press use only! For hand drilling:2763A52

P.S.: Never, ever recieved garbage from McMaster.

Cobalt bits are a very good idea. I have gone one step better and purchased a set of solid Carbide bits.

Short of diamond tipped bits, these things are the way to go, particularly if you find yourself drilling into steel regularly.

A set of Unibits (original or a knockoff set available at Costco) is an excellent addition to your kit. You WILL find yourself using them for just about all of your normal drilling/chamfering needs, particularlily in plastic body work. Buy your bits at an industrial tool supply distributor. That way it's easy to replace a broken bit with the same brand.

Just make sure you always store them properly in a quality drill bit box, not loose in a tool drawer.

A while ago I bought a set of Sears drill bits - then couldn't find them. Went out and bought a set of Black and Decker "bullet" drill bits on the recommendation of the guys in Home Depot. I have since found the Sears set.

After using both- mostly in wood, plaster, delrin and aluminum, the Bullets are far superior - they have lasted longer, stayed sharper. Also, I REALLY like their pilot point. Makes for less walking on aluminum

M

Those Sears bits are fucking horrible. For years that's all they would let us buy at work. I wound up throwing about 20 of them that burned up drilling one bolt at the boss. He finally let me buy one cobalt bit and watched me drill out 5 or 6 bolts with it in less than 10 minutes. Even though I can now order whatever I want it's still the HSS bright finish bits, and a few cobalts in common tap sizes.

• 2 weeks later...

Goddamn it, I forgot to order the bits and I need to drill a couple dozen holes in steel today. Shit. They're all one size so maybe I can find one place open that has a decent bit in stock.