CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need help with race tech

CasterTroy

I'm not looking for race-spec performance. I went that route on my TLR and sent the forks off and had them revalve, spring, and oil my forks for track conditions.

For my bird I just want to spring for my weight. It handles fine in the curves other than I can feel my weight impacting it. As well as at stops.

I am well aware of the valving and oil needs...and likely I will change the oil, but at this time I'm not gung ho to change the valves. It's at 10k and I just bought it used, from a smaller guy so I want the proper spring rate.

My question is, being these aren't inverted like my tiller and are standard like my katana was, is spring change as easy on the bird as it was the katana?

i.e. I simply loosened the nut on the top of the fork, removed the cap, pulled the spring out and replaced it with the new.

When I did the katana I did one fork at a time and suspended the front with a strap from the ceiling. AM I looking at the same simple operation here? Are there shims that need to be removed? New ones to replace? or does the spring do all the work?

Spacers on top of the springs, with a shop magnet or even a coat hanger it's a breeze to pull out the springs once you've pulled the shims.

Getting the spacer length right is the only slightly hard part, as you have to cut the spacers to length. Post your weight and what springs you're getting and someone can probably get you in the ballpark for spacer length.

Try a Hyperpro progressive spring with the same preload tubes. Works for me riding solo [27mm sag] and with a passenger [29mm sag]. The ride was rougher until I changed the ork oil to 5wt. Now it is smoother and still handles all the weight.

TimXX

Try a Hyperpro progressive spring with the same preload tubes. Works for me riding solo [27mm sag] and with a passenger [29mm sag]. The ride was rougher until I changed the ork oil to 5wt. Now it is smoother and still handles all the weight.

TimXX

Who'd you buy from?

Did you et THEIR oil or just regular fork oil?

Troy,

I also just ordered a progressive spring kit from www.hyperpro.com

Actually I ordered mine through www.whitebuffaloracing.com/hyperpro.htm since it was 15.00 cheaper. I am waiting their arrival. Paid 164.00 total for the springs and Maxima fork oil including shipping. Hopefully will be here on friday.

Hi Troy,

I ordered it from Hyperpro [888-963-1212] and I did use their fork oil. 1 litre covered both forks and there was little left over. I talked to Doug about preload etc.; he is the tech guy there and also has a Bird.

I also got the rear spring from them. It would be fine except it is SO HARD to change preload on the rear I am getting Hyperpro's rear shock and spring with remote hydraulic preload adjustment. It really does piss me off that Honda did such a poor job with this bikes suspension- it deserves better.

TimXX

Hi Jim,

I have not received the rear shock yet. I figure I will have it by next week. In any case, I will put it on at the end of my riding season [it's Nov. 30 in rainy Vancouver].

I will probably sell my old shock and springs [i have the stock and the Hyperpro] but not until I have ridden the new one for a while. And that won't be until April 2004.

Tim

wel tim, keep me on your contact list cause I want one, but not really in any hurry either.. so I might stil be lookin next spring.. but I think you need to put that shock on as soon as you get it, it wont take long to put in, shit you could do it in less than an hour... and get to use it before that friocken rain starts! I know how bad it is, I used to live in seattle.. man my rain suit got used alot! and you could never .EVER ride without takin it with you just in case.. anyway have fun, enjoy the suspension

Re: the rainy season- it has already started here :sad: . My situation is that my next few weekends are booked [Thanksgiving this weekend and visiting next]. I am also planning on visiting friends and relatives in the states starting Nov. 14 and ending around Dec 5 [we are driving because we are wimps].

So- my riding season is just about finished for the year.

I will probably put the rear shock on before the end of Oct. but won't have time to test it out on long fast trips. Such is life.

Tim