CBR1100XX.org Forum

Time for an oil change

N1K

Whats a good brand/part number for an oil filter for the bird?

I don't plan on buying a honda filter, just something at Wally world or Advanced Auto or something.

Also, the torque spec on the drain bolt is 200 ft lbs correct?

I use a Mobil-1 model M1-110.

Here are some recommended automotive type filters that will fit, from this cross reference page:

About 2.5 inches long.

• Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
  • Mobil M1-108, about $12.

Made by Champion.

• Bosch 3300, about $6.

Made by Champion.

About 3.25 inches long.
  • Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.
  • Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10.

Made by Champion.

• Bosch 3323, about $6.

Made By Champion.

• WalMart SuperTech ST7317,

about $2. Made by Champion.

About 3.25 inches long.

Made by Champion.

• Bosch 3323, about $6.

Made By Champion.

Will these longer ones (3.25") fit behind the header pipes? I use the PL14612 (2.5") which fits fine, but seems fairly close to the headers.

I don't use fram either but was offering up the part number. I use napa wix filters.

As well as the Fram #.

Get it straight, Soldier! <----- look I capitalized it! Don't want you to get your panties into MORE of a bunch!

:icon_twisted:

:icon_smilefingers: Sorry should have put a period and two spaces in there :icon_biggrin:

About 3.25 inches long.

Made by Champion.

• Bosch 3323, about $6.

Made By Champion.

Will these longer ones (3.25") fit behind the header pipes? I use the PL14612 (2.5") which fits fine, but seems fairly close to the headers.

No they won't. The ST6607 from Walmart is the shorter version of the ST7317. I used the Supertech filters for more than 10 years and close to 300,000 miles with no ill effects.

I either run a Honda filter, or a Pure-1... From the cut-ups I've seen, and the test results I've seen, I think the Pure 1 is a better filter than OEM...

Also, before I knew any better, I used FRAM oil filters in my Nighthawk, and ended up with a couple pieces of cardboard in a couple of hydrolic valve adjusters, which subsiquently beat themselves to shit for lack of oil...

BTW, I know FRAM at least makes the filters with the rubber grabby stuff on them in the US, because my company sold and helped them install a piece of equiptment to do that process in their plant, in KY, I believe...

Mike

Oh boy.

I'm not looking to start an oil thread. Really, I mean it.

I'm not implying those that do not use the OE filter are stupid, silly, foolish, dumb, cheap, lazy, or any other negative term you could muster...

BUT...

The oil filter is important. One could argue that it's the single most important maint item on your motorcycle.

Have you ever cut open an OE filter and compared it to a non-OE filter?

You don't need to have much background knowledge to see the difference.

All of the non-OE filters are made in either China or Taiwan by one of 3 companies. Despite what they may tell you, I know this is true because I work in the automotive industry and am aware of where WIX, Fram, SPX and Purolator buy filters.

Also, Fram had lawsuits aprox 6-8 years ago from filters blowing off of racebikes. Yes, you probably don't ride all day long at redline but Fram did lose the cases nontheless. The lawsuits were documented in Roadracing World and I happen to personally know someone who crashed because his Fram filter failed.

Pay the extra $$ for an OE filter. Feel free to use whatever fucking oil you want to though. :icon_biggrin:

Agreed 100%

When I was with Yanmar, there were a few oil filter studies done and you would be amazed at the difference between manufacturers's designs.

In fact, I just read an article the other day about the CBX and people were using Honda filters of the same size but with a different part numbers. Flow, and subsequent pressure restrictions were different and the engine was starved of oil.

Not saying that one is better or worse than another but I wouldn't chance it.

When I was with Yanmar, there were a few oil filter studies done and you would be amazed at the difference between manufacturers's designs.

In fact, I just read an article the other day about the CBX and people were using Honda filters of the same size but with a different part numbers. Flow, and subsequent pressure restrictions were different and the engine was starved of oil.

Not saying that one is better or worse than another but I wouldn't chance it.

What was the cause of this......... the filter media or the by-pass valve.

I could see where a weaker by-pass valve could starve a motor of oil..... which makes me wonder more about changing filter brands than the filter media.

But also... if a motor was designed to have "X" amount of restriction from said filter media, could putting on a filter with 1.5 times the media, also cause adverse effects ?

Hmmmm..... I think more research is in order here. :icon_biggrin:

I just love these oil threads.

The problem with the CBX filters is a well documented issue and it’s flow.

The filters for the CB750s fit OK but a Honda Service Bulletin warns against using them in the CBXs.

Mike

Nik:

I have 8 brand new OEM filters in my garage right now, and will most likely be in West Allis today to get my lowers back from Redd. I could bring you an OEM one, if you want.

I sent my spare oil pan back to Joe, however... :icon_whistle:

Nik:

I have 8 brand new OEM filters in my garage right now, and will most likely be in West Allis today to get my lowers back from Redd. I could bring you an OEM one, if you want.

Redd moved to St'allis! MOvin up in the world eh Redd? :icon_evilgrin:

Rich, if its not a hassle I'll take one off your hands... you should have my cell, but I'll pm it to you. if I'm not home, I'll leave some money on the deck or something.

Well this sucks. I think i put a fram on with my last change. I'll get through this summer with it, and get a better one next time.

Is there any difference with the motorcycle specific frams? The black ones?

:icon_think:

So, Honda makes their own filters? Right there in Japan, with the same quality and engineering that goes into their automobiles and motorcycles.

And here I thought they bought them from an outside source, and had Honda labels put on!

:icon_think:

So, Honda makes their own filters? Right there in Japan, with the same quality and engineering that goes into their automobiles and motorcycles.

And here I thought they bought them from an outside source, and had Honda labels put on!

Nik:

Redd moved to St'allis! MOvin up in the world eh Redd? :icon_evilgrin:

Rich, if its not a hassle I'll take one off your hands... you should have my cell, but I'll pm it to you. if I'm not home, I'll leave some money on the deck or something.

Naw.. she still lives up in Menomonee Falls... but I'll be close enough that it's not a big deal.

I'll call you and let you know when I'm going to be close.

As for the price... it's not enough for me to care, so just buy me a couple drinks some time, and we'll call it even.