CBR1100XX.org Forum

Birds Battery Died Yesterday

Para045

First I did a search but and found some stuff to do with RR's and stators and I am hoping that it is not the problem but in the last few days riding my XX I have noticed that my bike seemed to just be cranking over slightly slower, then 2 days ago when I pulled into a servo and fuelled up and went to leave she seemed a little reluctant to crank over although she did start. I came out yesterday arvo to get on her to come to work and she gave a very slight crank and then just clicked, does this sound just like a dud battery or something more sinister, I will look at getting a new battery tomorrow anyway and do some tests with my VM to check the voltage but just wondered whether it sounds normal for a battery to go like that, I did not notice the lights get any dimmer while riding in the early morning :icon_confused: Also on a similar line I noticed that in some of the threads that there was talk of using an upgraded RR for the 97/98 models, what are the thoughts on those as opposed to a later model FI RR or an R1 RR, I do not like the sounds of some of the aftermarket RR's from reports on here and B.I.R.D :icon_think:

First I did a search but and found some stuff to do with RR's and stators and I am hoping that it is not the problem but in the last few days riding my XX I have noticed that my bike seemed to just be cranking over slightly slower, then 2 days ago when I pulled into a servo and fuelled up and went to leave she seemed a little reluctant to crank over although she did start. I came out yesterday arvo to get on her to come to work and she gave a very slight crank and then just clicked, does this sound just like a dud battery or something more sinister, I will look at getting a new battery tomorrow anyway and do some tests with my VM to check the voltage but just wondered whether it sounds normal for a battery to go like that, I did not notice the lights get any dimmer while riding in the early morning :icon_confused: Also on a similar line I noticed that in some of the threads that there was talk of using an upgraded RR for the 97/98 models, what are the thoughts on those as opposed to a later model FI RR or an R1 RR, I do not like the sounds of some of the aftermarket RR's from reports on here and B.I.R.D :icon_think:

Charge the battery up good and check your charging voltage across the battery terminals. At 3000 + you should be getting 13.8 - 14.5 VDC.

If you have a good charge voltage, its the battery. How old is it???

If the charging voltage is low, your bike is useing more energy than the battery can supply and just will run down. You have to trouble shoot the charging system and correct the problem.

Yeah I did see that as well as a couple of other good threads on the R/R & stator when I did a search before posting. I just got home from work after bump starting the Bird ~1 1/2 hour ago in the dark and noticed that whenever I put on my high beam or indicators that the speedo and tacho would start to fluctuate wildly, no problems while riding with only low beam and the revs over ~4000 but at idle the speedo/tach would drop to nothing :? I am hoping that this is just because there is not enough battery power to keep all the electrical items running at the same time because the headlight never dimmed whether at high or low revs :?: Either way I am going to have a sleep then go get a new battery :o Just looked at this thread Johns Electrical help and noticed that there is 2 batteries listed depending on the year, do you think that the later one would be better due to the higher CCA

Yusa lists the YTX12-BS for '97-00 and the YTZ12S for '01-04, No idea what the difference is though....

EDIT:(had to learn for my own edification)

Battery Family: YTZ Factory Activated, Maintenance Free

Battery Type: YTZ12S

Voltage: 12

Capacity: 11

Dimensions: 6" x 3 7/16" x 4 3/8"

Weight: 8.1 lbs.

Metric Dimensions: 150mm x 87mm x 110mm

Metric Weight: 3.7 kg

Polarity:

Acid Volume: N/A

Amps: 1.1

C.C.A.: 210

Battery Family: Maintenance Free

Battery Type: YTX12-BS

Voltage: 12

Capacity: 10

Dimensions: 6" x 3.4375" x 5.125"

Weight: 7.5 lbs.

Metric Dimensions: 150mm x 87mm x 130mm

Metric Weight: 3.4 kg

Polarity:

Acid Volume: 0.6

Amps: 1.2

C.C.A.: 180

:icon_think: :icon_confused:

Well I put the battery in on Saturday and she was running OK but I could not get my VM to give me a good reading yesterday :icon_frown: while doing some checks so I went out today and got myself a nice new Digital Multimeter and did the checks as per the above thread and it looks like the Stator is OK but the RR is fucked :icon_doh: :icon_frown: Rang up the stealer and ordered a new upgraded RR, $217AUD and should be here on Wednesday arvo so looks like I will be driving my truck tomorrow( Oh well supposed to be raining anyway :icon_surprised: ) Thanks to all for the help with this :icon_wink:

Well I put the battery in on Saturday and she was running OK but I could not get my VM to give me a good reading yesterday :icon_frown: while doing some checks so I went out today and got myself a nice new Digital Multimeter and did the checks as per the above thread and it looks like the Stator is OK but the RR is fucked :icon_doh: :icon_frown: Rang up the stealer and ordered a new upgraded RR, $217AUD and should be here on Wednesday arvo so looks like I will be driving my truck tomorrow( Oh well supposed to be raining anyway :icon_surprised: ) Thanks to all for the help with this :icon_wink:

Same happened to me. First part that broke was he R/R.

It's a typical Honda problem. A girlfriends Fireblade caught fire because of it.

All cables melted and the bodywork started burning. :icon_flame: