CBR1100XX.org Forum

DHL = low cost shipping

I used DHL shipping twice in the last month. First I shipped upper cowling from south texas to california. The box weight was 10 lbs, relatively big size box. UPS was nearly $50 at their store so I could not believe when DHL charged me only $9!

Today I shipped set of forks from texas to oregon city, oregon; package weight 20lbs and I only paid $16.69. I did not buy additional insurance; standard coverage is only$100 in case package is lost but I took the risk. I think DHL is trying to increase market share with agressive pricing but keep them in mind when shipping is needed. Both shipments were ground service.

Disclaimer:

I based my post only on two shipments and I also noticed that depending on the type/size of package their rates are not that great. It's always a good idea to check the prcies with other shipping companies

Ditto....

When I was with Marriott Corp we always used Federal Express and even with the major discount they got it cost $9 bucks to overnight the small envelope package.

Now I work for a small hotel management firm and we use DHL....next day by 3pm we get charged $3.98 per envelope.

Big difference and the service is exactly the same except we have to pring the packages to the big yellow box on the ground floor of the building by 6pm....Federal Express picks up from the office lobby.

DHL is very good.

• 4 months later...

DHL is not perfect. I was shipped a paycheck DHL and DHL routed it to the wrong city that had San in front of it; they sent it to San Jose. I noticed it was in San Jose but thought they would get it corrected the following day. Nope, it was still there. So I called them. I discovered that I needed to call and request that they send it to the correct city. Once San Jose received it and saw that it was in the wrong city, they will not send it to the correct city until a form is filled out. So the customer care rep had to fill a form out, send it to them so they would send the package. How screwed up is that? The contract company I worked for dropped them right after that as this happened several times to several different people.

You get what you pay for.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a shipping/receiving manager and have been for the past 15 years. DHL sucks monkey dick! They are cheap, but lose shit and destroy product. We had a big account (Disney) that used DHL. They did so for about 6 months. Had more loses and damaged goods then anyother carrier combined.

fwiw, everything I have received from DHL shipping arrived intact.

Every other thing I get from UPS is broken. My lcd monitor box was folded in half. Took 3 months for the paperwork to be completed on it.

FWIW, I've always had lousy service from DHL. I live in the sticks and, if they don't feel

like coming up here, they just reschedule the delivery until they have enough stuff on the

truck to make it worth their while. The latest delivery, just last week, was re-scheduled

FOUR times (meaning four days late) before they'd bother to come up here. I'll never use

DHL if it's my choice and, if the item is time-critical, if DHL is the only option from that

seller, I'll go elsewhere. YMMV, of course.

UPS comes up here even if I'm the only thing on the truck and FedEx is the same, as long

as it's not snowing; FedEx drivers are pussies and won't come up into the mountains if it's

snowing. UPS drivers just chain up and come on up.

I've never had anything damaged by UPS.

Just my experience.....

The company I work for ships out between 400 and 600 packages per day. We have a UPS pup trailer parked at a loading dock all day and is loaded by fork truck through out the day.

We have a less than 1% damage claim rate.

I personally use FedEx for Bike Bits shipping and have had No problems so far, knock on wood!

But USPS has been the best for me. I ship Priority Mail all over the world for my Skate Wheel Company and again, knock on wood, so issues at all.

• 2 weeks later...
UPS comes up here even if I'm the only thing on the truck and FedEx is the same, as long

as it's not snowing; FedEx drivers are pussies and won't come up into the mountains if it's

snowing. UPS drivers just chain up and come on up.

I don't know if it is so much that they are pussies or if it is simply a matter of driver economics. I was told by an RPS driver several years ago that if they get stuck anywhere that is not related to an accident, the driver has to pay the tow bill out of his own pocket. Pulling out a very stuck 20,000 pound truck isn't cheap in this neck of the woods. I took pity on the one who delivered a bow to me several years ago and got himself in a real pickle in my front yard....we pulled him out with a track loader that belongs to a frind of mine that just so happened to be parked at my house at the time. It was interesting to say the least. I was convinced that the truck was gonna roll over but the driver had balls and dropped the hammer at the right time so that the rear end came around and stopped it from listing over onto it's left side.

UPS and FedEx are so frickin lazy around here that they drop off stuff for my address at my parental units house. They claim all their stuff slides to the back of their truck if they have to come up my driveway :icon_rolleyes::icon_boohoo: Waaah! :icon_snooty:

• 5 months later...