CBR1100XX.org Forum

Removing rims that are oxidized to the hub

Hairbear

I just bought a 1990 4Runner that rusted out.

i'm trying to get the aluminum rims off ,but they seem to be oxidized to the hubs. I've tried PB Blaster, Liquid wrench, MAPP gas, sledge hammer w/a block of wood and last but not least a 4to bottle jack inbetween the rim and frame of the truck.

Anyone have any secrets as to out to remove these rims without wrecking them?

Thanx Tom

Bottle jack? With no luck? :icon_eek:

I've found that shock works best. Pounding on the inside edge of the rim with a BIG dead blow hammer usually works. In rare cases I'd loosen the lug nuts a turn of 2 and go drive the car (low speed, parking lot) maybe even turn a few circles in opposite directions.

Bottle jack? With no luck? :icon_eek:

I've found that shock works best. Pounding on the inside edge of the rim with a BIG dead blow hammer usually works. In rare cases I'd loosen the lug nuts a turn of 2 and go drive the car (low speed, parking lot) maybe even turn a few circles in opposite directions.

+1 and I'll add run it into a curb. Go ahead laugh... IT WORKS!!!

I bought it for the motor and interior parts.

I'm pretty sure the wheels are not part of the motor or interior............ :icon_stickpoke:

True,

The rims and tires are a bonus. Toyota alloys ith 31-10.50 with less than 1000miles on them. :icon_evilgrin:

Over the weekend I'll loosen the lugs and drag it down the road with the Ford....should make for a good video.

$350 for the whole truck...the 3.0L motor alone sells used for over $800 out here.

strip her and off to the bone yard.

Well if you can heat them up to say 150 degrees or so, then smack them with the BFH, great.

That might work..

Or else you can try squirting some Vinegar on the back side of the wheel, so it runs down onto the wheel lug face of the rotor or drum, then let it sit overnight and try said BFH method again.

Goodluck.

Joe...thanx for the offer. i want to try to sae the rims if at all possible. I've tried two so far...front driver side and rear pass. side....both do not want to come off...I've never seen them this bad. i bought this truck in Southwick, Mass. There's not a dent in this Runner, but the body and bumpers are just riddled ith rust holes. The tires are NOT going to the oneyard so if nothing works....the ports power is a definite!

I tried soaking them with PB Blaster...still NG. I never heard of the vinegar til tonight....worth a shot. I'm gettig torches over the weekend so I'll try the gradual heat method first...then I'm dragging my brother law around the block with a couple of lugs on each wheel.

I'll let everyone if I'm successful or not.

Sorry to say...i sold the bird two weeks ago. I've had the bills piling up...had to...no choice. Isn't America great!

There will be another...someday.

Tom

If you don't give a shit about what's behind the rims you might be able to cut the bolts off short enough to assist in getting the wheel off.

Might even be able to "pound" the bolts in after they are cut off :icon_evilgrin:

This is easy.... Find another tire and rim thats lying around. A full size truck tire works best..

Leave two lugs partially threaded onto the studs. Take a bladed stance and swing that tire against the stuck wheel as hard as u can rubber to rim. Kapow. It should pop off.

Or just jack up the car from the otherside leaning it towards the stubborn side. The lateral load should knock the tire loose.

• 2 weeks later...

Welll...the battle is over!

and I feckin' won!......I got my ass kicked for awhile and was laughed at by many who did not believe me on how bad these were stuck.

On sunday...the battleground took place.

I with my F350 in 4low range...hokked to the driver side rim with a chain, 1/2"choker wrapped in thru the rim holes and shackle.............

on the passenger rim.....another 1/2"choker, shackle and my 9500lbs Superwinch hooked to a tree in my yard via a snatch block.

What do you think happened??????? All the lugs were off and they were pulling the rims in two opposite directions like a chicken wishbone???/ So, whats your guess????? What Happened???

Absolutely nothing!!!!!!!! I pulled with the winch first....it actually stalled the winch...so I tryied backing the Toyota up in 4low with both lockers locked up.....still nothing!!

So...now...I go to the Ford....got the deisel ready in 4low and tries a slow pull...I dragged my Toyota pickup a good 5 to 10 almost up the tree the snatch block was hooked to.

All this was after I tried hooking the 4runners passenger frame rail to my Toyota pickups rear bumper...and I had the driver side rim hooked to the Fords hitch with the toe chain and choker set-up...I pulled both trucks sideways about 3ft. with my Ford.

I gave up trying to save the rims.....

i got the torch out...heated the piss out of them...got my neighbor to assist me.....as I heated and turned the rim/hub area he beat the livin hell out of the inside of the rim......driver side took a good 5 to 10 minutes to come off.

The passenger side gave up the ghost in about 5.

The passenger rear...i had to melt the inner hub area of the rear to get it off.

the driver side rear just kicked it off.

Thats IT!! I feckin' WON!!! well i lost 3 rims, but I saved 4 31" 10.5 that have less than a grand on them from going to the boneyard.

I could have won something if I had it on video when I was pulling the rims in opposite directions and nothing was happening.

I woulds never have believed it i it didn't happen to me.

Redemption!!

My hands and fingers are absolutely killing me...gettin old..just hit 42 last thursday.

Thanx guys for the suggestions.

Tom