CBR1100XX.org Forum

fuel filter

rodantking

We call that stuff brillo pad. I think it is there to trap the particle stuff in the gas and prevent it from moving around, and straighten the fuel flow into the line. I had a tank with some rust and had to take apart every thing to clean the scale out. Did the same thing to the filter to clean that out by back flowing. The filter from Honda is high. You can cut the 180 off the old one and get a car filter and it is cheap.

• 4 months later...
I threw the box away and the actual filter is unlabeled as was the old one. I will go there tomorrow and ask the clerk which one it was, and then post it.

BTW, Honda uses that same filter in a lot of different applications, i.e. lawn/construction equipment, trucks, generators, etc. but it subcontracts other companies to make it as well, therfore no honda name, no honda price! :icon_evilgrin:

now, if i can only find a fuel pressure regulator in the next 3 days....not a lot of those hanging around. anybody have any ideas?

Did you ever get the part number for the fuel filter or did I miss the post? :icon_eh:

One of the standard mods on the BMW R bikes is to add an external fuel filter. The only thing to pay attention to is high pressure connecters and installing the filter in an out of the way place. Filters are just a few bucks purolator F20011.

Now I'm thinking this will be a good winter project for the bird as well.

With the BMW there are supply and return hoses easy to tap into, have not looked at the bird yet.

Just got back from Oreilly's. They had two filters....WIX and Microguard...both numbered 33032.

I went with the WIX since (1) it was made in the USA and (2) the nozzles seemed a better match (Microguard's nozzles seemed a bit narrower).

Otherwise, same length and just a bit over 1/2" (9/16") thicker (circumference). I'll see how it mounts up tonight.

I put the Wix 33032 in there last year,yes it was a liitle thicker but manged to stay in place just fine.Think i paid $5 for it and I was selling Honda parts then,thought dealer cost was too much.

FYI you can use the Yamaha oil filters,same thing,cost 1/3 less.In Canada Honda MFJ filters are $17.95,Yamaha 5GH-13440-20 are $11.95.The 3FV-13440-00 and 5GH-13440-00 are spot on replacements for the discontinued MM9 Honda filter.The Kawasaki ones are the same too but can't remember the numbers,16097-1064,66,70?

I agree with most of the others...after two birds and 50k+ miles on them I have yet to change a FF. Neglect or stupidity would be the only time its needed...

The WIX 33032 is a workable fit.

You'll hunt for a longer screw, lockwasher and washer to replace what comes on the bike as the original filter is smaller, but it goes in there.

I agree that the fuel filter isn't a mandatory replacement, but I like to do things like that once you pass the 50K mark on most any vehicle. Especially if you're going to go through all the work to dismount the tank anyhow.

If there was no aftermarket filter that would fit, I'd say never bother until you have to. For less than $5.00, you can't beat it.

I decided to inspect fuel filter becouse my XX was not pulling well on top end.

Sure enough it was clogged.I could barely blow thru it.132 K miles on the bike,but I think that was coused by couple paint jobs without draining fuel,although I did tape gas hole.

I went to CarQuest and after short search walked out with part # 86012. 4.60$ . Slightly bigger OD ,longer screw for the clamp,etc,tralalalala.Close enough.

If anyone wants to search on their own here are dimentions.

inlet,outlet OD-8mm or 5/16 inch.

total length with in/out tubes 3.8 inch.

length of filter`s body 2.35 inch.,it`s OD 1.4 inch.

The filter is symetrical,in/out tubes are of equal length.

BTW, it should be obvious, but since the OEM filter doesn't show the fuel flow direction, the hose with the banjo bolts is the high-pressure supply line to the injectors. So that will tell you how to orientate the replacement filter correctly.