CBR1100XX.org Forum

Factory Pro Shift Kit

sokanxx

I am looking at purchasing the Factory "Pro Shift Kit" the kit is only like $90 so it sounds like a pretty good deal. Anyone have one mountd up on their XX? Parts Unlimited only shows this kit available for 97-98 XX's (I dont know why it wouldn't fit an FI bike) I am looking for a little guidance in if this shift kit is worth getting. I posted this topic over on cbrxx while .org was down and still have not gotten any feedback so i hope you guys can be of better help. Thanks

Here is a link to the product http://www.solomotoparts.com/product.php?productid=23972

Here is the factory pro website link http://www.factorypro.com/ Click on the red bok in the upperleft corner that says catalog and search for the XX There are two shift kits available the one linked above for $90 and one for $200 they call a Shift STAR kit.

I am totally willing to drop the coin on either kit if they are actually worth the money.

Only your pocketbook can make that decision.

The XX shifts fine without either addition.

It just shifts better with them.

If you want to save some bucks and get a smoother shift, get the less expensive kit.

If you want to shift faster and have more positive engagement, get the whole shebang.

They work well, are easy to install, and removable if you tire of it.

I like mine. I will remark that after a day of constantly rowing through the gears in places like Deals Gap, my foot is pretty sore pushing against that stiffer spring.

One final question, Its squidly I know! but will this kit make it more difficult to shift gears while riding wheelies or would it make it easier?? I like the idea of never missing a 1 to 2 shift but a stiff spring could make things more difficult??

You'll have a more positive feel when you shift.

I've never had a wheelie last long enuf to shift so I'm not really qualified to answer.

I would think you would want an easier shift like the stock setup when you are up on one.

It doesn't do anything inside the transmission, so it won't affect how the dogs engage. What it does effect is the speed and surety of the shifting mechanism.

The kit consists of three essential parts.

1. A stiffer spring. This puts more push on the shift shaft to get into the next gear.

2. A roller spring guide. This allows the stiffer spring to float instead of just binding up on the stock bushing because there's now too much pressure.

3. A reshaped detent wheel. The more aggressive ramping of the detent wheel combines with the stiff spring to bring the transmission into the next gear more forcefully.

Bottom line is that you need more pressure to shift...until about halfway through the lever throw. After that, the spring and detent virtually yank the thing into the next gear. That soft little flip that a standard XX will shift with is gone.

I installed the components because the soft touch was resulting in the occasional missed shift for me. I was pleased enough with the improvement from installing the spring and roller that I went out on a limb and tried the upgraded detent wheel as well. I like it....I very seldom miss a shift. But as I said, spring pressure is probably 1.5 times stock...the only real-world negative, other than the wallet being lighter by a couple of horsepower.

That's what I did. I just called and told them I already had the spring/roller kit, loved it, and would it be possiblt to get the Star separately.

Cost?

I'm guessing around $100 (price difference in the kits)

The shift kit does give a nice positive feel. I have traded bikes with Walt and a few others and you can really tell a difference versus stock.

+1 on everything Joe said

Silverbird1100: how was it a pain. was installation difficult?

It's easy. The most difficult part is removing the clutch basket, and the spring loaded gear on the crankshaft.

You don't even need to drain any oil.