CBR1100XX.org Forum

WTF?rear wheel locks up/won't spin

BarryG

Replaced rear axle bolt and nut with new parts (crossthreaded last piece)

put new bolt, nut and spacer in but when tightened everything up rear wheel rubbing agaist rear disc.

Found another spacer and according to online microfiche...not sure where it goes (not the one that sits behind the rear axle bolt). I put this one between the swingarm and brake caliper piece...

When I tighten everything up, the rear wheel is locked up with the brake caliper grinding the disc?

???

I need to stop working on my bike..... :icon_rolleyes:

Did you spread your brake pads out when you installed the wheel? If not a pad might be dragging the disk on one side or the other.

I think I did....but not sure exactly what you mean........who knows what the hell I did.

I got my buddy (rides a Busa) coming over in an hour to take a look....he can pretty much fix anything so I'm crossing my fingers.

Replaced rear axle bolt and nut with new parts (crossthreaded last piece)

I need to stop working on my bike..... :icon_rolleyes:

Hmmm.... Jeez, you might have answered your own question here.

Ok seriously, let us know if you still need help.

Busa buddy fixed in oh....I dunno.....7 or 8 seconds.

Didn't know I had a damn spacer on the floor.....should kept an inventory.

He threw that in....done deal.

Time go buy him a beer or 4.

Yes...I'm an idiot.

Stop working on your bike!!

You SUCK as a mechanic!

Ya think? Well no one cares about MY bike but ME......although from my results of fucking things up......I'm not so sure. Anyway live and learn. When the I pulled the rear axle bolt out originally.....I didn't notice the spacer that fell down.....only the bolt and washer....it seems to be back in order now. Will ride it tomorrow to test it out but seems fine again.

Don't sweat the small shit, Barry.... Trial and error is the way most self-taught mechanics learn. The trick is to learn from the foul-up - never make the same mistake twice... :icon_wink:

And in your case maybe let some other poor sucker take it for a test ride after you are done working on it.

Now you start getting some experience. Think about it this way: if a shop

forgot to put that spacer back in (yes it could happen), they will leave it

as is and tell you that "it's ok, they all do that" and send you on your way... :-)

At least you caught that and you fixed it with a buddy's help. So you're

doing well.

-mike=

Stop working on your bike!!

You SUCK as a mechanic!

Ya think? Well no one cares about MY bike but ME......although from my results of fucking things up......I'm not so sure. Anyway live and learn. When the I pulled the rear axle bolt out originally.....I didn't notice the spacer that fell down.....only the bolt and washer....it seems to be back in order now. Will ride it tomorrow to test it out but seems fine again.

Well I'm very lucky to have a buddy who's a mechanic who's worked on everything from cars to currently bulldozers.

Put about 100 mi on the bike today....all kinds of roads....checked everything at the stops. All is good with the chain/axle.....bike running like it should.

Thx guys.

Well I'm very lucky to have a buddy who's a mechanic who's worked on everything from cars to currently bulldozers.

Put about 100 mi on the bike today....all kinds of roads....checked everything at the stops. All is good with the chain/axle.....bike running like it should.

Thx guys.

One thing that would make your life easier is to see exactly how the part is before you take it apart, rear axle for instance before you removed it identify all the parts and proper locations then remove the axle and reassemble it till you need to put it back in the bike, if you have to remove screws/ bolts etc put them in the hole they came out of till you need to reassemble , at least till you get the hang of things. this would have solved your current problem..............................

we all fuck up some time................and experience is the hard way to learn

I actually pretty much just point out whats wrong to him and let him do it

Yeah....it's more like.....here's what you screwed up.....now go get me a beer while I fix it. Good thing I don't have any food in the house or I'd be making sandwiches too...... :icon_whistle:

One thing that would make your life easier is to see exactly how the part is before you take it apart, rear axle for instance before you removed it identify all the parts and proper locations then remove the axle and reassemble it till you need to put it back in the bike, if you have to remove screws/ bolts etc put them in the hole they came out of till you need to reassemble , at least till you get the hang of things. this would have solved your current problem..............................

we all fuck up some time................and experience is the hard way to learn

This is basically what I did years ago when I rebuilt the 351Cleveland in my F100 :icon_think: , I got a good manual, taped and labeled all hoses/wires as I took them off, then as I disassembled the motor I took off a piece & put it back several times to make sure how they fitted until it was stripped. I then made sure all bolts etc were put aside in groups and labeled where they where from :icon_think: Then when reassembling I triple checked everything for clearances torque etc. She went back together fine and was still going strong after 100 000km until I took the truck of the road. BTW I just used that motor recently after freshening it up and putting the LPG heads from the current truck motor together and she is purring nicely :icon_biggrin::icon_cool:

I actually pretty much just point out whats wrong to him and let him do it

Yeah....it's more like.....here's what you screwed up.....now go get me a beer while I fix it. Good thing I don't have any food in the house or I'd be making sandwiches too...... :icon_whistle:

Good mechanic trainees have to make good sandwiches too :icon_dance: :icon_clap: :icon_wink:

Don't feel bad, Barry. I took my bird to a friend (and very experienced Honda mechanic) to have a new set of tires put on. After picking up the bike, I rode it home and for no apparent reason decided to check the chain tension and rear wheel alignment. The damned chain was as tight as Dick's hatband and the wheel didn't seem to be tracking true w/ the chain either. I loosened everything up, pulled the axle and shims. I assumed a Honda mechanic w/ 30+ years of experience would have the shims correctly installed. They wern't. When reading my factory shop manual I discovered one of the shims had been incorrectly installed. Now I pull the wheels myself when I have new tires installed. Don't always assume that an experienced mechanic can't make a mistake, and don't always assume you suck as a mechanic because you made a mistake. We all make mistakes - that's how we learn.

Never trust the shop Mech. I don't like to let them touch my bike either but one day I rode with a friend about 70 miles to a shop were he bought his bike. While there I noticed the rear tire was spent so since my buddy had spent like $50,000 on two custom bike there, one being a bad azz Busa, they cut me a no pass deal on new tires. So against my better judgement, I let them put them on. It took this kids like 3hrs to install two tires, and by the time he was done the storm moved in. Well I got it home and something felt wrong. Come to find out he didn't tighten up the rear chain adjusters or rear brake mount. We rode home at 115mph + to try and stay ahead of the rain too. Damn Kid could have killed me? :icon_evil: :icon_nono: