CBR1100XX.org Forum

Drywall repair steps?

Mikey

So my mom had some renovations done but money ran out before the work could be completed. So there is drywall put in that hasn't been patched or taped or whatever it's suppose to be.

Can someone state the steps that I do and I'll go research how? Right now it's not perfectly smooth. Obviously there are gaps and rough edges where the saw went through the drywall and left a jagged edge, etc. How do I smooth it how and make it look like a wall? I'm guessing that there is taping and spackle(?) involved, but I'm certain I'm missing something as that would just make a nasty surface if I were to tape over the bumps.

You'll want to use a surform tool to rasp down any rough edges to a bevel. Make sure the faces of the sheets are the same level, check with a 6" or better putty knife. make sure all your screw heads are dimpled into the paper then you should be ready for mud.

quick synopsis:

-mud/tape the joints, mud over screw or any other small holes

-sand or sponge

-feather out the joints

-final sand and your done.

a tip on the screw holes, mud across them at an angle with the first stroke, then at a different angle with the second stroke, they fill perfecly the first try (most of the time)

Joints... mud - tape - mud - mud -mud - sand

Screws... mud - mud - sand

They sell sanding sponges that help keep the dust down. You keep rinsing the sponge in a bucket of water.

I bought a sanding kit from Home Depot years ago that you hook to your shop vac. It is a bucket with two hoses. One connects to the shop vac the other has a vented sanding block and goes to the bottom of the bucket. You fill the bucket about half way with water, and most of the dust collects in the water saving the life of the filter in the shop vac. I'll see if I can find a link.

I use to hate doing drywall repair, but now that I've gotten the hang of it it's not so bad.

I hung drywall for a few years in college... UGH..

Actually hanging it is fun... Taping isn't bad... Sanding.... Ugh...

I always wondered if the shop vac attachment thing I saw at Home Depot worked well. Sounds like you're giving it the thumbs up?

Very good. now I'll just look up what you mean by sponge.

So you can mud instead of tape?

if you use the self adhesive mesh stuff, you stick it to the wall and mud over it. If you use the regular paper tape, you have to lay a mud bed first, set the tape in the mud with the putty knife and mud over it.

I hung drywall for a few years in college... UGH..

Actually hanging it is fun... Taping isn't bad... Sanding.... Ugh...

I always wondered if the shop vac attachment thing I saw at Home Depot worked well. Sounds like you're giving it the thumbs up?

Most definitely :icon_thumbsup: . You'll still get a little dust in the house, but nothing at all like sanding dry. I've had mine about 5 years now and it's holding up great.

if you use the self adhesive mesh stuff, you stick it to the wall and mud over it. If you use the regular paper tape, you have to lay a mud bed first, set the tape in the mud with the putty knife and mud over it.

Which is better, the self adhesive or the tape?

Also, isn't there going to be a raised area where the joint is? I mean, tape or that mesh is going to have some thickness won't it?

Which is better, the self adhesive or the tape?

Also, isn't there going to be a raised area where the joint is? I mean, tape or that mesh is going to have some thickness won't it?

I've used both and I've found the tape to hold up better. You feather in the joints. So yes there is a raised area but if you do it right you can't see it. The way I was taught you do a layer of mud over the joint. Lay the tape in with the putty knife and lay on a thin layer of mud over the tape. Next day another layer of mud, and another layer the day after that one. Before laying on the new layer knock down any high spots with the knife. Work with thin layers. Basically when you're done that 1/4" joint will have mud 3-4 inches on either side.

HTH. I'm better at doing things like this than explaining how to do it :icon_lol:

Well, I went out and picked up the stuff. They didn't have self adhesive tape so I'll do the mud/tape thing and I got the mesh tape for the bigger gaps. Once I get it all done I have to put up trim around the shower to make it look proper. We'll see what happens. I'll try to remember to take pics just to see what happens.