CBR1100XX.org Forum

Anybody familiar with oil bath trailer hubs?

SwampNut

I was putting new brakes on the boat trailer (another long fucking story), and ordered a kit with oil bath hubs. Trouble is, the oil seal is the wrong size. So I wonder if a special spindle is required for the oil bath hubs, or what?

I was putting new brakes on the boat trailer (another long fucking story), and ordered a kit with oil bath hubs. Trouble is, the oil seal is the wrong size. So I wonder if a special spindle is required for the oil bath hubs, or what?

I know absolutely nothing about oil bath hubs, so proceed with caution. An oil seal often has two sealing rings on the lip, and if so it has to bend over a bit. Because of that, they often appear to have more material..ie, a smaller hole than needed upon cursory examination. They are also tighter than grease seals, because oils a liquid rather than a paste.

So did you just look at them quick and they look too small, or did you actually try to fit them?

Oil bath trailer hubs are standard on most over the road trailers. Long life and low maintenance. You have to have proper seals or the oil will leak out. Bad newa.

Seems like overkill. I I'ved used "Bearing Buddies" for years and thounsands of miles with no problems. Fill them up with a grease gun and go. Use the plastic caps or you'll get a little "Fling" and get the wheels dirty.

Check once a years for bearing looseness.

So did you just look at them quick and they look too small, or did you actually try to fit them?

I wish I'd looked first. Though they are only .1" off. I put it on, everything was beautiful, pour in oil...and guess what...

I found out from the manufacturer that there are two sizes of spindle for a 6,000 pound axle; 2.125 and 2.250, and I have the 2.125. Oil seals are only in 2.250.

So I went to the RV store and asked for 2.125 grease seals. Slide the hub on. Fuck. 2.250 seals. Pull it out, wait yet another day (been chasing these fucking seals all weekend), get them replaced.

I now have wheels on the trailer, and a new brake caliper finally. Fuck. I hate trailers.

So I went to the RV store and asked for 2.125 grease seals. Slide the hub on. Fuck. 2.250 seals. Pull it out, wait yet another day (been chasing these fucking seals all weekend), get them replaced.

So they gave you the same size GREASE seals as the OIL seals, instead of the size you asked for?

Nice.....

Yeah, and being .1" I didn't notice. Not only that, but I took in the old grease seal AND I told him it was 2.125. I have this disease where I tend to trust "experts" in a field when I really should question everything.

I should have been worried after this conversation though:

Me: I need four of these seals (hand old on to him), they are 2.125.

Him: Uh, not sure what that means, we usually look them up by inch size.

Me: 2.125 inches.

Him: .... .... oh.

This fiasco has to do with the fourth brake problem I've had, at least it wasn't a total melt-down like the first. Finally figured out, which no "experts" have figured out, that the brake mounting flange on the axle was welded on crooked. The brake calipers aren't straight then, so the pads engage at an angle, and don't like to fully disengage.