CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fixing bent rims

dunedain

In Fort Wayne Indiana there is a shop called Fox and Fox. They are a frame and collision repair place they could fix up rims. So you might want to call around to that type of shop in your neck of the woods and see if they can help.

I don't know if I would try having a motorcycle rim straightend or if I would just have Brett find me another :icon_dance:

In Fort Wayne Indiana there is a shop called Fox and Fox. They are a frame and collision repair place they could fix up rims. So you might want to call around to that type of shop in your neck of the woods and see if they can help.

I don't know if I would try having a motorcycle rim straightend or if I would just have Brett find me another :icon_dance:

Aight. Thanks! My neck of the woods is Tulsa and we do not have that.

Brett....Yo Brett! I need an 03 R6 front wheel for a race bike, scratched OK but needs to be straight. Got any?

Ya I seen them on ebay but I'm looking for cheaper and the guys At Bender Mender claim to get them perfect.

Aight. Thanks! My neck of the woods is Tulsa and we do not have that.

Brett....Yo Brett! I need an 03 R6 front wheel for a race bike, scratched OK but needs to be straight. Got any?

Ya I seen them on ebay but I'm looking for cheaper and the guys At Bender Mender claim to get them perfect.

I've got a nice Comstar off an 80 CB900 :icon_wink:

I had these guys straighten my polished rim. Did a super job. Think I paid about 130 bucks in 03. They claim to hold closer tolerances than factory specs. I believe them. Can't tell where I smacked the chuckhole.

I know where the damage was and it can't be seen.

Check em out.

http://www.mcwheel.com/

I agree on the strnegth thing.

I took it for a test ride and above 45 it vibraded severly. Took it off and had th elocal yamaha shop put it on the balancer. (note: there is no real noticable dent in the whee)

They said it was off by .25 which I failed to get to explain further.

Met up with Alloy wheel and they said they cant use their eqipment on it.

It evidently is not a dented rim as in "I hit a rock" but it had a lateral bend in it like the wheel was twisted.

I'll try mcwhell.

Thanks all.

I had these guys straighten my polished rim. Did a super job. Think I paid about 130 bucks in 03. They claim to hold closer tolerances than factory specs. I believe them. Can't tell where I smacked the chuckhole.

http://www.mcwheel.com/

I know where you smacked the chuckhole. I was right behind you, and I think you got it the wrong way round. That chuckhole smacked YOU. I thought the two of you were going ass over tincups.

I agree on the strnegth thing.

I took it for a test ride and above 45 it vibraded severly. Took it off and had th elocal yamaha shop put it on the balancer. (note: there is no real noticable dent in the whee)

They said it was off by .25 which I failed to get to explain further.

Met up with Alloy wheel and they said they cant use their eqipment on it.

It evidently is not a dented rim as in "I hit a rock" but it had a lateral bend in it like the wheel was twisted.

I'll try mcwhell.

Thanks all.

You may not want to hear this... Most motorcycle companies do not want to fix rims or plug tire, because of the liability problem. In today's society, too many people are willing to sue at the "drop of a hat." Because of this, most motorcycle companies will not repair a bent rim or plug a tire. The other thing to consider is how fast are you going to be traveling on this rim after you have it repaired? Is it worth injuring yourself or worse killing yourself just to save a few dollars?

Most rims must travel in a tolerance zone when spinning. If your rim is off by .25, then repairing it may not be safe. You may end up spending the money and then still have to replace the rim. Verify with the company if they have a guarantee if the rim still does not seem to ride properly for you to get your money back. If they do not, then it might not be a good idea to have it repaired.

If the rim is out of true, not just dinged on one spot, many wheel repair places will not touch it. I wouldn't even bother trying to get that damaged fixed. Most likely scenario is that someone will try to fix it, it'll be better but not great, and you'll be out the repair money with a wheel you don't like.

Just my .02......

If the rim is out of true, not just dinged on one spot, many wheel repair places will not touch it. I wouldn't even bother trying to get that damaged fixed. Most likely scenario is that someone will try to fix it, it'll be better but not great, and you'll be out the repair money with a wheel you don't like.

Just my .02......

Have you had a personal experiance with bent wheel fixing?

Well,MCwheel will not charge you if they feel they can not get better then new specs.

I`ve sent them two rims,rear had a lip ,no biggie,but front had a lip and was out of the true at the same time.When they came back it was impossible to tell where the damage was,even the paint was intact.

They know their craft.

Just my .02......

Have you had a personal experiance with bent wheel fixing?

Well,MCwheel will not charge you if they feel they can not get better then new specs.

I`ve sent them two rims,rear had a lip ,no biggie,but front had a lip and was out of the true at the same time.When they came back it was impossible to tell where the damage was,even the paint was intact.

They know their craft.

+1 on MCWheel :icon_biggrin: Same experience with back rim with a fat lip... not sure how off it was.