CBR1100XX.org Forum

Finishing my walkout basement

JB4XX

I've been working on and off for a few months finishing out most of my walkout basement. It will basically be two large rooms and a bathroom. One large room will be an arcade with video games, pinball, and a air hockey or pool table. (We'll see which one of us wins that battle) The other side will be a 16'x52' room with a home theatre on one side, and a kitchen area on the other end near the bathroom. I still have a lot of work to do but I am trying to have it close to being finished before Christmas and New Years. I always have a big New Years party here and it would be great to have it down there versus in the main part of the house.

Heres some pics, first group taken about a month ago, then some two weeks ago, then a couple tonight.

Looking down towards the bathroom end of the big room...

IPB Image

Closer view of the bathroom/kitchen area.

IPB Image

The tub has an area 12" wide for a towel closet yet to be finished beside it.

IPB Image

Looking towards Home theatre end. The staircase coming down cuts in a little due to the 9' ceiling and I wanted the steps to be not too steep.

IPB Image

The arcade room taking shape.

IPB Image

Two weeks later looking the other way in the arcade room. I have some work to do on the staircase before the carpet layer shows up nexxt weekend. The walls have a primer coat.

IPB Image

Primered kitchen and bath area. The bathroom is sage green now.

IPB Image

Laid the tile floor in the kitchen area tonight. Walls are all painted now, cabinets and appliances are here waiting for install.

IPB Image

I drug the carpet in all ready too. The counter tops showed up today too. The propane gas fireplace can be seen here. It is a 25k BTU model with a fan and thermostat control. I picked it up as a floor model and saved some fundage! $$

IPB Image

I've got my work cut out for me to get this done before Christmas Eve!! It should add about 1300 sq ft to the house as I am still leaving a utility room open where the furnace and water heater is for storage. I know where I'll be staying all nexxt summer!

Thanks for looking!

:icon_biggrin:

Dunno about how much of a turn on it would be to have cold air blowing up my ass. :icon_rape: And IIRC Josh is a big guy, so you'd want a solid table top.

Either way I think invitations are in order (once the basement is finished).

Not yet Todd. I've been looking but been to busy trying to finish this project up before Christmas. I have one week until carpet guy shows up.

:icon_eek:

Notes to self...

Read the label on the premixed grout containers. Smooth grout will not work on floor tiles with over 1/8" gap. Re-grouting 250 sq ft suxx.

Pay the extra dough for pre-finished cabinets. Wife wanted special dark stain so we bought unfinsihed cabinets and stained and sealed them. My basement smells like a toxic waste dump.

Going to dump the idea of carpet with padding and just glue it down. Save lots of dough plus wont be out big cash in the event of a "leak" or other water damage. The carpet guys I was dealing with have fallen through so I become a carpet layer this week. :icon_confused:

Still trying to have it ready for Christmas Eve.

:icon_frown:

Going to dump the idea of carpet with padding and just glue it down. Save lots of dough plus wont be out big cash in the event of a "leak" or other water damage. The carpet guys I was dealing with have fallen through so I become a carpet layer this week. :icon_confused:

Still trying to have it ready for Christmas Eve.

:icon_frown:

good plan on the carpet I'm still ripping up that glued down shit

Glued down shit?

The wifey wants me to hold out and pay for professional instal with tack strip and pad.

I vote to just glue the damn Berber down to the concrete. Its a basement, if anything in the house leaks, its coming down here.

Another note to self...Hire some day laborers nexxt time.

Wifey cant help me much so I am doing all the work by myself. :icon_frown:

Josh,

I just asked this to one of the guys that's in our office this week installing carpet... He says since it's in a basement, to just glue it down, but to use "outdoor paste" to glue it down... like for outdoor carpet, since it's much more resilient to moisture...

Mike

Plus it makes much easier for a wheelchair user to get around when they come to visit their new kid. :icon_wink:

Sucks about the grout. Generally you want sanded grout on the floor especially in wider joints.

Wifey wins..

Carpet guys are on thier way here. Looks like I am doing pad etc...

Sorry Todd, It will be a great place for you to hang out with the kitchen and bathroom all on the one level.

:icon_wink:

Updated pics. Carpet pad is laid. Trim is going smoothly. Stained the stair rails. The carpet will go down Thursday and Friday. I need to get the plumber back in to hook up the sinks and shitter. The Black double door refrig is hooked up and producing ice nicely for cold drinks... :icon_cool:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Hey its a basement. Why not just stain the concrete and call it good. Thats a really popular thing to do these days and its easy and pretty indestructable. I have a friend who tore out all his carpet and painted his floors then thru down a few rugs. I know...too fking late now eh. The carpet will be nice and much warmer.

That dry wall work looks pretty good. You want to come visit me for a little while? I have an extra bedroom that I need to finish out.

Is the TV going opposite of the kitchen?

Yeppers. The TV is going opposite the kitchen in the 52' room. I set the can lights up in three zones on dimmer switches to control the amount of light in each area.

Todd, that door is holding the deep freeze up. :icon_wink:

Unbelieavable how much you've gotten done in such a short time!! Are you on vacation or something?? Looks awesome.......my dream basement/sports room!

Maybe you should give up Krogers & do construction for a living :icon_wink:

Are you on vacation or something?? Looks awesome.......my dream basement/sports room!

No vacation, just working on it as soon as I get home from the twelve hour shifts we've been doing at work.

I'm so ready to move the bigscreen down there and get the satellite hooked up to it.

Thanks for the compliments. I have a lot of "sweat equity" in it. It looks great with the carpet down.

More pics later this week.

:icon_cool: