CBR1100XX.org Forum

Valves check at 32000 miles?

testrider

Hi all,

My 97 XX just turned over 32000 miles. The manual calls for a valve check.

We have never heard anybody needs a valve adjustment on the bird, right? :-)

Should I just skip it until 48k miles or should I have it check?

Thanks!

-mike-

I just checked mine at 37,000 miles, all but #4 exhaust were dead center of spec. #4 ex. was a hair tight but still within spec. Checking them is a piece of cake. I had half the bike apart from a wreck, so I figured what the hell might as well check them out.

If you're going to take it in, I'd say save your money. Skip it, or better yet, do it yourself.

They're probably fine, but checking them is just a little more involved that changing the plugs. Easily doable in a day for most home mechanic types.

Ajusting them is another story, though.....

I have this question also. I've owned my '97 for a year now. I bought her with 14,000 and now have 20,500.

The bike did not come with any records, but everything was mint including the fluids, tires, etc. The previous owner said that he had whatever done recommended by the independent shop.

According to service intervals, there is a larger one at 16k, and 24k.

Based on what I have read and how the bike runs (flawless with excellent gas mileage), I'm a little relunctant to pay for a large service if it doesn't need it. (I just changed the oil on her for the 2nd time yesterday)

What do you guys think? :icon_think:

It's a Honda !

All it needs is regular maintainance.

Checking, and adjusting if needed, the valve clearance IS regular maintenance. I've got 35K on mine now and, as soon as I get my VFR running again - about another 700 or 800 bux - I'm gonna do the job. Time for plugs while I'm in the neighborhood. Since I'll be able to ride the VFR, I can lay the bike up for a week or so and just do it right, off with the tupperware, drain/replace all the fluids, the bike is pushing 6 years old now so hoses might be a good idea as well as new brake pads. With my schedule and that of the storage yard where I keep my bikes, I only get about 1.5 hrs a day during the week.

I never checked mine until around 40,000 miles because everyone said that they never go out of adjustment. I had a number of valves that checked out of spec. They were on the loose side.

I would have expected them to be tight. So, they may have been loose all along.