CBR1100XX.org Forum

QUICK OIL QUESTION!

Zero Knievel

I'm trying to order my oil for the 'Bird, but I don't remember the oil rating I'm to buy (I have too many numbers in my head).

I think it's 10w40, but I'm not anywhere near my owner's manual (or bike), and I can't get crap from Google. :icon_evil:

HELP!

I'm trying to order my oil for the 'Bird, but I don't remember the oil rating I'm to buy (I have too many numbers in my head).

I think it's 10w40, but I'm not anywhere near my owner's manual (or bike), and I can't get crap from Google. :icon_evil:

HELP!

10W40

Got to be longer than this, How often are you changing it? :icon_biggrin:

Mine...............1000-1200 miles.

Geeze, I go 5000 between changes and don't feel guilty at all. I would go 6 but the math is easier at 5. Turned 35K on the way home from NJ last week, I'll probably change my oil on Saturday. Anyone got a cross over on the oil filter that I can pick up at NAPA? No Fram, please.

I am thinking about changing mine soon - I have just done 10 000 km ( 6 213 miles ) since I bought her in March, the previous owner did an oil and filter change before I picked her up and put in Motul semi synthetic and a genuine filter :icon_think: Probably a good time to do it as the hot weather is coming :icon_wink:

I am thinking about changing mine soon - I have just done 10 000 km ( 6 213 miles ) since I bought her in March, the previous owner did an oil and filter change before I picked her up and put in Motul semi synthetic and a genuine filter :icon_think: Probably a good time to do it as the hot weather is coming :icon_wink:

--------------------------------------------

I think you are in Canada, right?

Do you use different weights for different times of year (example 10/40 in winter and 20/50w in summer?)

I think you are in Canada, right?

Do you use different weights for different times of year (example 10/40 in winter and 20/50w in summer?)

With the hot weather coming in November, he is likely in OZ.

As to your second question, the two oils overlap so much in terms of temperature range it would seem silly to me to make just a small change like that. A quality 10w40 should be good for just about any oil temperature an XX is likely to encounter. The difference in cold pour point between a 20w50 and 10w40 is pretty small as well. Might take a second or so longer to reach full oil pressure when it is really cold out but certainly nothing that would damage an engine. The of course, you could always go with something like a 15w50 synthetic and stop worrying altogether.

I think you are in Canada, right? No Perth, Western Australia :icon_nono:

I have not changed oil on the BB yet as I have only had it since March and have now done 10 000km, on my old CB750F with 900 motor 15 years ago I used to use Penrite HPR50 (40-70 ). It was designed for older engines so I always used it in my 78 F100 351C and the CB was a bit worn and smokey so I used it in that as well. I doubt I would need a light oil like 10/40 as the weather never gets that cold here, even at work in the hills around Perth the coldest it got was 0.7C and that was well before I left for work and the bike is under shelter. :icon_think:

With the hot weather coming in November, he is likely in OZ. Correct Perth WA

As to your second question, the two oils overlap so much in terms of temperature range it would seem silly to me to make just a small change like that. A quality 10w40 should be good for just about any oil temperature an XX is likely to encounter. The difference in cold pour point between a 20w50 and 10w40 is pretty small as well. Might take a second or so longer to reach full oil pressure when it is really cold out but certainly nothing that would damage an engine. The of course, you could always go with something like a 15w50 synthetic and stop worrying altogether.

If anything I would prefer to use a heavier oil ( 25w-60/70 ? ) for summer >45C temps for a bit extra protection espescially as the BB is supposed to run hot :icon_think:

Not sure that is such a good idea. Oil temperature and coolant temperature do not necessarily relate. Even at 45 deg C ambient (113 F for you Luddites) you won't really see much difference in oil temperature. A quality 20w50 synthetic should see you through.

Think of it this way. Oil temperature is a function (not quite linear but close enough) of power produced/work done. A given load will produce a given rise in temperature over ambient. You need to get the oil over 100C to get the bad stuff like water condensation out of it, I would put the oil temperture, before the cooler somewhere above 150C with the engine operating under load. The oil is designed for that and will take it with no problems. Compare a good spread of tempertures from say 10C to 50C and the difference in oil temperature and you will note there is only about a 25% difference in oil temperature.

We used to run oil temperature gauges in the sump of all our race cars and found very few occasions, this on a road race car, where oil temperature got above 150C. The circle track boys, whe spend more time at full throttle do see higher tempertures but they run 10 or more gallons of oil in their cars with elaborate cooling and oiling systems. I read somewhere recently that a NASCAR car burns 8 quarts of oil in a 500 mile race.

Not sure that is such a good idea. Oil temperature and coolant temperature do not necessarily relate. Even at 45 deg C ambient (113 F for you Luddites) you won't really see much difference in oil temperature. A quality 20w50 synthetic should see you through.

Think of it this way. Oil temperature is a function (not quite linear but close enough) of power produced/work done. A given load will produce a given rise in temperature over ambient. You need to get the oil over 100C to get the bad stuff like water condensation out of it, I would put the oil temperture, before the cooler somewhere above 150C with the engine operating under load. The oil is designed for that and will take it with no problems. Compare a good spread of tempertures from say 10C to 50C and the difference in oil temperature and you will note there is only about a 25% difference in oil temperature.

We used to run oil temperature gauges in the sump of all our race cars and found very few occasions, this on a road race car, where oil temperature got above 150C. The circle track boys, whe spend more time at full throttle do see higher tempertures but they run 10 or more gallons of oil in their cars with elaborate cooling and oiling systems. I read somewhere recently that a NASCAR car burns 8 quarts of oil in a 500 mile race.

-----------------------------------------------

That seem to make sense because I recall watching that video recently where someone was running a BB at 170+ on the autobahn and his temp gauge was a hair below red the entire time. He was also 2 hairs below red line. I will say you almost see his gas gauge drop too (like driving a V8 454 pulling a trailer on highway)

A friend of mine drove Porsches in the late 60's and early 70's. He then turned aircraft mechanic.

His take on high performance engines (917K for one) was that a oil too thick actually caused damage because it could not circulate fast enough, and would not remove heat and particles.

I have 3 answers that need questions.

1. Yes

2. No

3. Maybe

1. Yes, I do change the oil every 3k miles.

2. No, I don't use synthetic.

3. Maybe, if I feel like it, I will change it if the bike has not been run for a year since I last changed the oil.