CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain Noise................

XXera

I'm getting a lot of chain noise now. The indicator is just at the red replace mark. It's making a loud clanking noise while going at a slow speed through town. I put it up on the centerstand and put it 6th and it scared me to death!! I thought it was going to shake it down off the centerstand. Has that happend to any of you?

Anyway, I was surfing the net for a new chain and Parts 411 has a DID 530 ZVM X110 (or X120). What do you guys use? The 110 or 120? They want $146.32 for the 110. They also have a AFAM 16t front sprocket for $22.95.

Has anybody done any business with them?? They say they'll beat anybody's price on the internet.

i've done lotso business with parts411.com over the past 1.5 years including buying 2 ss 16t sprockets from them.

they are good if you know what you are looking for and know if they have a good price. they aren't the best priced at everything though.

sounds like it might be time for a new chain, haven't experienced what you've mentioned, have 27k about on my chain.

did you say above how many miles you had on your chain?

I've only got 15,300 miles on the chain. It does feel like it has tight spots in it.

John, where did you get yours for $130?

Rock, I've tried oiling it several times, with different brands of chain oil I have. I was even going to buy some chain wax yesterday but I couldn't find any in this hick town. I'll have to wait until the next time I go to Amarillo.

I want to go down one tooth in the front, so what chain do you think I should get? The 110 or the 120 or does it even matter?

Ronnie, it is time for a new chain. Mine is just starting to grind now and it will undoubtedly start to clunk shortly (primarily in 1st gear, starting out). This is normal, it is time for a new one.

Buy the way, check your sprockets. If they are OEM, you are probably OK for another chain (you may need a new front though). I am getting two chains/year sprocket now and I flog my bike pretty hard (replacing every 15-18k miles).

MaXX