CBR1100XX.org Forum

Replacing Chain and Both Sprockets

John01XX

The best way I've heard of is to unbolt the front sprocket first by leaving the bike on the sidestand. This way your old chain and the tire are taking all the stress of removing the bolt instead of the transmission (if you were to have it on the centerstand and in first gear). Also, just for cleanliness, make sure you wipe off all the built up mud, grime, grit, oil, and other small animals that have been sucked into the front sprocket cover/clutch slave cylinder housing. You might want to clean off the chain guide as well. If you have a chain breaker, don't use it. It's so much cooler to use an angle grinder and cut the old chain off (sparks are cool) :lol:

BE ADVISED, per Randy, don't pull in the clutch lever while changing the front sprocket.

I can't remember why he said not to, but I totally trusted him as he stated it added hours to the job. :lol:

Changing the front sprocket took me about 30 mikes.............

Only took me 2 1/2 hours..... Only !!

Got a brand new DID ZVM530 Chain on and

new stock SunStar front and rear sprockets.

Wasn't to bad to do. Did have to remove the lower plastic

to get the new front sprocket on.

Now just finished cleaning and polishing and WTF !!

It starts to rain......!!!!!!

Oh well all done and shinny waiting for the sun to come back out.

Re:clutch-slave cover, if you have removed the slave and pull clutch lever you'll soon be watching the slave piston shoot accross the garage and spray clutch fluid all over your bike. Next you'll be filling and bleeding your clutch resevoir. Good idea to put a zip tie over the piston end so it won't shoot out, as it can release even without pulling the lever.

dano

Leave your teeth alone. La Chomper is running stock chain and sprockets and I followed him all over the Dragon and the Cherahola Skyway at the Hoot, that is except when I went Off Roading myself for a while. :-)

And D2 slowed up and Watched and didn't even follow along. Guess he doesnt have the off road contol I did that day. I didn't go down but decided I need a new suspension system for my next off road adventure.

• 2 weeks later...
Leave your teeth alone.  La Chomper is running stock chain and sprockets and I followed him all over the Dragon and the Cherahola Skyway at the Hoot, that is except when I went Off Roading myself for a while. :-)

And D2 slowed up and Watched and didn't even follow along. Guess he doesnt have the off road contol I did that day.  I didn't go down but decided I need a new suspension system for my next off road adventure.

Hey John, good to see you on line. After the hoot, I did change my chain and sprockets. I have gone over 300 miles on only one tank of gas :!: I did that on the way to the 2003 NEXXT. The boys still can't believe it's possible :!: While doing the tour, I never gased up! :grin: Others have 2,3, or 4 times :!: :sad:

H2