CBR1100XX.org Forum

Crankcase Oil Leak

rcone

First time poster. I have searched the "Garage" and have found no information on this condition. Have a '02 with 50k plus miles. Recently noticed a small oil leak at seam where the two halves of the crankcase come together. Any solutions/remedies? Or am I hosed?

Guest rockmeupto125

I think you're hosed.

But before we jump headfirst into shallow water, let's explore the issue....particularly because this is an essentially unheard of complaint.

Where is the leak? There's a lot of seam there. Is it someplace where its possible the oil is coming from someplace else, and dripping or blowing onto this seam? If that may be the situation, its worth getting a dye kit and trying to trace exactly where its coming from.

I think you're hosed.

But before we jump headfirst into shallow water, let's explore the issue....particularly because this is an essentially unheard of complaint.

Where is the leak? There's a lot of seam there. Is it someplace where its possible the oil is coming from someplace else, and dripping or blowing onto this seam? If that may be the situation, its worth getting a dye kit and trying to trace exactly where its coming from.

Thanks for responding. I have thoroughly cleaned the engine a couple of times to pin point the leak. At first, I thought it was coming from one of the bolts on the lower section. I then discovered it is coming from the 'seam' of the connection of the two halves. The location of the leak is on the side facing the front of the bike and on the right side. I was thinking about re-tightening the connection bolts to the service manual's recommended torque setting. I believe that there (according to the manual) is no gasket between these halves. It just receives a sealant.

Any other suggestions besides this? I also read in Motorcycle.com that this bike is prone to this. Is this true?

Guest rockmeupto125

Do you have the specific link to what you read?

I truthfully don't recall anyone else complaining of that issue, and I've been on the various XX forums for (cough, cough) a few years.

Retorquing a bolt seldom brings problems. I believe a leaking valve cover gasket can allow oil to drop down the front drain pathways from the head and onto the front of the engine. Could that possibly be what's occurring?

I truthfully don't recall anyone else complaining of that issue, and I've been on the various XX forums for (cough, cough) a few years.

Retorquing a bolt seldom brings problems. I believe a leaking valve cover gasket can allow oil to drop down the front drain pathways from the head and onto the front of the engine. Could that possibly be what's occurring?

I have the same problem on my 00 blackbird!!! I noticed it about a couple of months ago.. It is coming from I guess is the right engine case cover, right areound where the center cap is... I thought that maybe I was just seeing an excess of oil from my oil change, but I cleaned it and sure enough it is leaking.. :icon_think: If needed I will try to take a pic and show you the area of concern...

There is a link to the 8/2006, www.motorcyclistonline.com, on the entry page of this group that refers you to a "Smart Money". In this article it states that the Blackbird has had instances of oil leaks around the crankcases. Especially, "where the balance shafts live."

I was hoping that other members have encountered or heard about this and had some tips. Just want to avoid the trip to the local Honda dealer.

Guest rockmeupto125

The balance shafts live behind the cylinders, and leaks there have typically been unusual, and the result of a worn O-ring. I only skimmed the article previously because I didn't expect to learn much from it.

I would still pursue an investigation into an alternative source for your leak. Understand we don't know you or your wrenching skills from Adam, so no insult is intended. Real smart guys here have been fooled before about oil leaks.

Hopefully somebody else can chime in here with another viewpoint.

Guest rockmeupto125

Yak, the leak you describe is quite different from the one indicated by rcone. I thought you said you were posting a picture. There are two covers on the right side of the engine...one is the timing cover, and one is the clutch cover. The timing cover has a removable center cap, and it would be relatively easy to have a leak there. The clutch cover has a removable center cap as well, and it would not be so easy to have a leak there. Regardless, neither of those areas is on the seam of the case halves, and therefore, a completely different issue.

The balance shafts live behind the cylinders, and leaks there have typically been unusual, and the result of a worn O-ring. I only skimmed the article previously because I didn't expect to learn much from it.

I would still pursue an investigation into an alternative source for your leak. Understand we don't know you or your wrenching skills from Adam, so no insult is intended. Real smart guys here have been fooled before about oil leaks.

Hopefully somebody else can chime in here with another viewpoint.

Thanks for the insight Rockme. However, I will remove the fairing and take some images of the location of my leak.

I hate to say this but, what if I used a 'little' JB Weld on this location. I know, total hack job.

Yak, the leak you describe is quite different from the one indicated by rcone. I thought you said you were posting a picture. There are two covers on the right side of the engine...one is the timing cover, and one is the clutch cover. The timing cover has a removable center cap, and it would be relatively easy to have a leak there. The clutch cover has a removable center cap as well, and it would not be so easy to have a leak there. Regardless, neither of those areas is on the seam of the case halves, and therefore, a completely different issue.

You are absolutely correct sir... I tried to upload some pics on yesterday, but I was unsuccessful. Every time I tried I got an error.. But I tried again today, hopefully I was successful this time... :icon_think:

quote name='rockmeupto125' date='Oct 18 2006, 08:39 PM' post='455866']

I guess I am not camera savy, but I tried again today... :icon_think:

[attachmentid=4378]

post-3289-1161237480_thumb.jpg

Guest rockmeupto125

Yak, you could try gently tightening the center bolt on the clutch cover, but I highly doubt there is a problem there unless the bolt is real loose. Unless your bike has been in a good right side hit, it would be very odd that the cover have a crack in it. Didn't that happen to Anson?

An oil leak towards the front of the engine will send oil backwards, and the groove around the cap of the clutch cover that you've pictured is an easy place for a small amount of oil to congregate. You'll need to pull your right lower cowl to check that out. If you've had the CCT replaced, or the bike tuned up, there could easily be a leak from the CCT base gasket or the timing cover seal. Otherwise, start looking for splash patterns from front to rear.

Here's an old trick...

Remove plastic... thoroughly clean and dry all suspect areas... liberally dust suspect areas with fine white powder (talcum, baby powder, etc.)... start engine and bring to normal operating temp... If your leak/seepage is in a pressurized area it will be readily apparent while running (at normal operating temps); if in a non-presurized area, it will more likely become apparent after the motor is shut down and is in the "cooling off" phase... The fine white powder provides distinct contrast and easily identifies the path and source of any leaks/seepage.

Of course, it makes a bit of a mess... but you knew that already... :icon_wink:

• 2 weeks later...

I know, total hack job.

Correct. Don't.

Your thoughts, Chris?

After further time studying my problem rock me it was not my crankcase. It is my head gasket. I have a very small leak. So I have an 02 with 52k miles. Honda dealer wants $1k to replace. Replacing this is above my level of knowledge and skill. Even with a service manual. Thinking about temporarily sealing with high temp. silicone and trading in.

Guest rockmeupto125

I know, total hack job.

Correct. Don't.

Your thoughts, Chris?

After further time studying my problem rock me it was not my crankcase. It is my head gasket. I have a very small leak. So I have an 02 with 52k miles. Honda dealer wants $1k to replace. Replacing this is above my level of knowledge and skill. Even with a service manual. Thinking about temporarily sealing with high temp. silicone and trading in.

What's the proof to that? Meaning...how did he make that decision? Head gasket leaks, again, are rare. I'd suspect something above the head for a long time before I'd accuse the head gasket. Can he show a pressure leak? Did he do a dye test?

I agree with Joe that the head gasket is one of the least likely places for an oil leak.

If the drain holes at the front of the head are wet, try replacing the valve cover gasket, first. IIRC, there is no possible way for that center cover to leak, as there is no passage to oil behind it. Unless, of course, there's a crack in the cover behind the center cover.

I had a leak at the valve cover gasket a few years ago. Oil was going everywhere and it was very difficult to find the leak. The new valve cover gasket fixed the problem.