CBR1100XX.org Forum

Plug differences?

Hobicus

So today after a bit of a chilly ride, I decided to do the bike prep for the TeXXt trip.

Changed the oil, and since the Air filter and Plugs were due, planned on swapping those out, too. I changed the plugs out around 20k miles, and I'm at 42k now.

Looked up on NGK's web site, and found that the plugs were IMR9A-9H, so that's what I went and picked up.

When I pulled the plugs out, it had IMR9C-9H. I had the guy at the shop look up the plugs last time. I put the A's in, because that's what was recommended, but now I'm wondering what the difference is between the two. The NGK website says that the C's are for the 2003 XX's.

So today after a bit of a chilly ride, I decided to do the bike prep for the TeXXt trip.

Changed the oil, and since the Air filter and Plugs were due, planned on swapping those out, too. I changed the plugs out around 20k miles, and I'm at 42k now.

Looked up on NGK's web site, and found that the plugs were IMR9A-9H, so that's what I went and picked up.

When I pulled the plugs out, it had IMR9C-9H. I had the guy at the shop look up the plugs last time. I put the A's in, because that's what was recommended, but now I'm wondering what the difference is between the two. The NGK website says that the C's are for the 2003 XX's.

I believe that the 9a's are irridium instead of platnium.....

EDIT UPDATE> the set I bought on ebay are IMR9A-9H, they are irridium.

The 9C's are recommended for the 03, so I don't think we're talking platinum.

I agree I think the 9a's are the irridiums the estimated life is much greater then the standard plugs. dont know if thats true but thats what i run and nothing seems to be wrong

Well whatever came in my 01 (platnium I presume) , are still going strong @ 37000K (23000Miles)

I'm changing them out this week for a new set of the irridiums....wonder what I'll get out of them :icon_think:

I agree I think the 9a's are the irridiums the estimated life is much greater then the standard plugs. dont know if thats true but thats what i run and nothing seems to be wrong

Well whatever came in my 01 (platnium I presume) , are still going strong @ 37000K (23000Miles)

I'm changing them out this week for a new set of the irridiums....wonder what I'll get out of them :icon_think:

I pulled the stock plugs on my 97' carbed XX at 20,000miles and they were still like new. I only put the new ones in because I went to all the trouble to get the old ones out.

This is a copy of my order from sparkplugs.com:

Following is a summary of your order:

4 - NGK Iridium plug

Stock Number: 6966

Part Number: IMR9A-9H

Unit Price: $11.71

Extended Price: $46.84

Subtotal: $46.84

Discount: $4.68

Tax: $0.00

Shipping & Handling: $8.20 (UPS Ground)

Total: $50.36

I changed my sparkplugs first time after 20k+ miles and just got my second set. I google internet for 'sparkplugs.com discount' and found 10% off code on some auto forum.

here is description for IMR9A-9H - listed as recommended sparkplug for 2001-03 cbr1100xx by sparkplugs.com:

Iridium plug, 10mm, 3/4" reach, 5/8" hex, gasket seat, resistor, projected tip, extremely long life plug, iridium center electrode with platinum tipped ground electrode, .036"gap

NGK iridium plugs represent the ultimate evolution of spark plug technology and performance. The iridium center electrode is both stronger and harder than platinum. This tapered cut iridium center electrode reduces the voltage requirement for spark. This allows for a brighter, stronger spark from your existing ignition system. A platinum tipped ground electrode further contributes toward the extreme longevity of this plug.

here is description for IMR9C-9H:

Iridium plug, 10mm, 3/4" partial threaded reach, 5/8" hex, gasket seat, resistor, projected tip, extremely long life plug, iridium center electrode with platinum tipped tapered cut ground electrode, .036"gap

NGK iridium plugs represent the ultimate evolution of spark plug technology and performance. The iridium center electrode is both stronger and harder than platinum. This allows NGK engineers to design an ultra-fine (0.6mm)center electrode reducing the voltage requirement for spark. This allows for a brighter, stronger spark from your existing ignition system. The ground electrode has a tapered cut at the firing end which reduces quenching for better flame core growth and increased ignitability. The combination of fine wire center electrode and tapered cut ground will increase performance, improve acceleration, and fuel efficiency.

EDIT:

The more I look at it the more I get confused. When I placed order some time ago there was a different price, $7 against $11 per each and I also remember there was a difference in description. Now the description and price is identical??? WTF?

O.K. after reading description again I noticed IMR9A-9H has TAPERED center iridium electrode and IMR9C-9H has TAPERED ground platinium electrode. This is the only difference I can notice from description.

To add to confusion - description for CR9EHIX-9; this one seem to have standard (non-platinium) ground electrode. It is listed as recommended sparkplug for 1997-2000 cbr1100xx by sparkplugs.com

Iridium IX plug, 10mm, 3/4" reach, 5/8" hex, gasket seat, resistor, partial thread, fine wire (0.6mm) iridium center electrode, tapered cut ground electrode, .036"gap

NGK iridium plugs represent the ultimate evolution of spark plug technology and performance. The iridium center electrode is both stronger and harder than platinum. This allows NGK engineers to design an ultra-fine (0.6mm)center electrode reducing the voltage requirement for spark. This allows for a brighter, stronger spark from your existing ignition system. The ground electrode has a tapered cut at the firing end which reduces quenching for better flame core growth and increased ignitability. The combination of fine wire center electrode and tapered cut ground will increase performance, improve acceleration, and fuel efficiency.

Another one - CR9EHVX-9 platinium center electrode is listed as obsolete or N/A by sparkplugs.com

IPB Image

It should be fine, Rich... The only difference I see is that the ones you recieved have a tapered ground electrode (the part that extends out the side of the plug and bends over). They are both irriduim electrode plugs.

Mike

Guest rockmeupto125

This was discussed at length many moons ago, also with no particular decision. The only known difference is that the C model has a tapered electrode. You would think that if it was an upgrade due to a recognition of premature deterioration of the electrode that the A model would be superceded, and not continue to be produced, which is certainly not the case. Most manufacturers don't like making two items that will work for the same application, especially when one has been shown inferior. Hard to imaging either NGK or Honda NOT upgrading their replacement parts reference if that was the case.

Others have conjectured a change in the ignition system of the XX that more appropriately utilizes the C version plugs. I don't know what that would be, as the coils are the same for all years, and that's the only part of the electrical system that interfaces with the spark plug.

Me, I'd use just either. Some folks have claimed fouling with one or the other, but spark plug behaviors are tied so closely to the performance and health of the other systems of the bike that its near impossible to ascertain what is the spark plugs fault and what isn't.

The Iridium is to be changed every 50.000 km about 30.000 miles.

Ref. Haynes work manual.. About the double of the platinum.

And they are recomended from 97-06