CBR1100XX.org Forum

Wire Loom Fix

porterb123

On 4/30/2021 at 4:58 PM, sandman said:

No power at fuel pump loom connector.

What exactly does this mean?  This is tricky to measure as the ECU provides signal to both wires, and neither one is necessarily a bike "ground", according to the wiring diagram. 

Fuel pump or fuel pump relay?  I am talking about the relay, sorry if I wasn't clear. Specifically, my post above refers to the relay trigger wires. 

• Upvote 1

If the relay is clicking, then it is probably good, but, switch the relays around. There is more than 1.

FYI:  turn on ignition, the pump relay should click (on), then 5 or so seconds later, should  click again (off). The pump will not stay on more than about 5 secs unless the engine is running. 

21 hours ago, sandman said:

@fizzy- sorry for not explaining more clearly. The connector to the fuel pump (green/brown wires) is not getting any voltage. I do hear the fuel pump relay click on when the ignition switch is turned on. Fuel pump works, it's just not getting power. I'm looking for advice as to why, after all the components I've checked.

IMG_4401.JPG

Check for power coming out of the relay itself.  If that's good, maybe one of our Chicago area peeps would be willing to loan you their functional ECU to check if that is the problem?

2 hours ago, jon haney said:

maybe one of our Chicago area peeps would be willing to loan you their functional ECU to check if that is the problem?

Ok, but maybe the other way around would be safer?  I don't let my precious ECU out at night to play with other bikes. don't know what kind of shape it may come back in. 😀

22 hours ago, fizzy said:

Ok, but maybe the other way around would be safer?  I don't let my precious ECU out at night to play with other bikes. don't know what kind of shape it may come back in. 😀

LOL.  I understand.  I figured that was something a person would do, uh, "in person", and then take it back home after the test.  Definitely, wouldn't do an "over-nighter".

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, sandman said:

it can't hurt another bike's electrical either way, right?

I can't imagine any way that it could.

• Upvote 1

On 5/5/2021 at 11:11 PM, superhawk996 said:

I can't imagine any way that it could.

Would a carburated ECU have potential to let the smoke out? The eBay link has the years possibly wrong, but does claim EFI

Edited by XXitanium

8 hours ago, sandman said:

Great suggestion, Jon Haney. I'd definitely like to try plugging my ecu into another good bird if the owner allows. Either my ecu primes his fuel pump or it doesn't- it can't hurt another bike's electrical either way, right?

This would work without risk to other bike. Remember, there are 2 FI models, analog dash and digi dash, each with different ECU.

Plugging in a known good ECU into bike with question mark over the electrical system.......not recommended. 

Best to disconnect battery before messing with ECU. 

2 hours ago, XXitanium said:

Would a carburated ECU have potential to leg the smoke out? The eBay link has the years possibly wrong, but does claim EFI

If it could be connected there's a good chance of smoke, but I think the connectors are different.

• Upvote 1

Sandman, if the fuel pump relay (I assume your "fuel cut off relay") is clicking on with ignition on, then your ECU is sending the correct signal.  First off, make sure you have identified the correct relay. There is another one called the engine stop relay.  Anyway, the fuel pump relay will click on with ignition, then click off after about 5 secs. If that happens, then just trace the brown wire from the relay to the fuel pump.  The green one on the pump is a ground. Make sure its grounded. 

• Like 1

have you checked the starter relay plug.on my 99 the plug had corroded .it would let through enough power to turn the lights on and prime the fuel pump but but not enough to start it.  

• Upvote 1

On 5/7/2021 at 1:04 PM, sandman said:

As mentioned earlier by fizzy, how do you bypass the ecu and power the fuel pump directly? Did a search, didn't find it on forum.

I have never had to do this, so it's best someone else chimes in.  Also, I no longer have a Bird or manual to look at.

As improbable as it sounds, I have heard of copper wires "breaking" inside the insulation with no apparent external damage.  Make sure the wire(s) from the relay to the pump plug have continuity, and make sure there are no holes rubbed in the insulation.

• 1 year later...

Wow. Just read this post.  How can Honda be so brilliant...and so stupid at the same time.

My 2006 ST1300 and probably all, had that exact same yellow ground junction box.🙄😡. Only difference is it's located up near the windshield.

I'm glad my XX back in the day was carbd.