CBR1100XX.org Forum

TechSpec Tank Grips

A couple of months ago I bought a Tank Grip kit from www.TechSpec-usa.com to overcome my tendancy to slide forward on the saddle and have to hitch back regularly. The "Gripster Sport" material that I ordered was a new product for them and the adhesive system they used did not work. After applying the material it soon began to curl up at the edges. I contacted Dean Davis - (916) 941-6606- about it and he acknowledged the problem after investigating his stock of product. He then took the initiative and offered to send me an upgraded custom cut Tank Grip set if I would send patterns. Seemed like a good deal to me so I sent patterns for the Blackbird and in less than a week had a custom cut set of "Gripster MX" on the bike. I've been using it regularly through the hot months of this summer and have had no adhesive issues. I also found that the "grip" was a bit more positive with this material than it was with the first version. It gives me the ability to shift and hold my position at will by gripping the tank with my knees. While this is obviously useful out on the back roads, it also helps reduce fatigue in the wrists and hands when you're out on the freeway. The stuff is also removable - not so much to switch from one bike to another since the patterns wouldn't likely fit - but more for changing out the look of the bike from time to time as the need arises. You might want to give this a look if you're considering something like a tank bra at over twice the price. It does a good job and they have my patterns if you want to avoid the hassle making them yourself.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...