CBR1100XX.org Forum

Gas cap hard to unlock?

SoloTSi97

When I picked up my XX a couple weeks ago, the previous owner said the only trouble he'd had with it was that the gas cap was sometimes a little 'touchy'. 'You have to wiggle it around a bit sometimes.'

First time I put gas in it, I wiggled it around a little bit and it opened right up. No big deal. I went to put gas in it for the second time today, and I couldn't get the cap open! Long story short, I ended up using the key for my beetle bags to pry the cap open while turning the bike key to unlock the cap. In the process, I bent my bike key to the point where I had to lay it on the ground and stomp on it to straighten it so I could start the bike. Good times.

Any ideas? I can't really tell what the problem is ... it looks like the tabs are retracting properly (at least when the cap's open) and it doesn't look like there's anything down in the filler neck that's bent. I guess I could take a file and try to file down the locking tabs a little bit, being careful of course not to get any shavings in the tank. I think the die grinder's out for obvious reasons. ;-)

Any other tips?

-Bob

Guest rockmeupto125

Push down on the cap a little bit as you turn the key. You'll eliminate a lot of friction that way and put less stress on the key itself.....it makes a poor prybar. You might also use some graphite in the lockset.

Push down on the cap a little bit as you turn the key. You'll eliminate a lot of friction that way and put less stress on the key itself.....it makes a poor prybar. You might also use some graphite in the lockset.

I'll try some graphite in the lockset, that's a good idea. I always push down on the cap when I turn the key, habit since it makes the cap on my F3 much easier to open. Unfortunately, pushing down on the cap doesn't help with getting it open.

Let me be more specific. The key turns easily all the way to the open position. However, the cap will not pull up freely (in this case, it wouldn't pull up at all). So, it's not friction in the lockset that bent the key ... it was the fact that I was awkwardly trying to hold the bike key in the open position on the gas cap while prying around with the beetle bag key.

Hopefully I explained that better. :icon_biggrin:

I suggest you use powdered graphite sparingly. I used too much when my lock set was sticking and actually made it worse. I ended up using spray gun lube (Rem-Lube) to free things up and haven't had a problem since.

Mine does exactly the same thing. Really sucks when you're out of gas and the cap won't open. Had to use the Honda toolkit (flat screwdriver) to give it a gentle pry and it popped open. :icon_doh: I looked at it and it seemed to function as it should. So with screwdriver still out, I closed the cap and tried again. Stuck again. I found that if I turn the key to release the latch then pull the cap with my fingertips to the left, it will open sans screwdriver.

My guess is that's it's not friction but out of alignment. I may loosen the bolts and retighten them tomorrow.

Try unlatching the cap with the key then pulling (not with the key!) left or right while gently pulling up with the key. That may help you like it did for me in a pinch.

I had the same problem on my 03. Key would turn fine but cap wouldn't open easily. It was that way from day one. I placed a rag over the fill hole and with a small fine file took a few thousanths off the ends of the two locking bars. Also the locking bars were rough on the ends.

Corrosion Block or Bosheild are two very good lubes sold in marine stores. (removes corrosion and lubes at same time.

Spray in key hole and slide bars and hinges.

Do it once every month and use it on switch gear,bag locks and hinges anything elso thats supposed to move

I had the same problem on my 03. Key would turn fine but cap wouldn't open easily. It was that way from day one. I placed a rag over the fill hole and with a small fine file took a few thousanths off the ends of the two locking bars. Also the locking bars were rough on the ends.

This is what I did today. I had to take off more than I had expected (still only a few thousandths, I'm sure), but now it opens easily every time.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have some general-purpose lock lubrication spray that I use in the outdoor lock on my shed, trailer coupler lock, etc. I hit all the applicable spots on the bike just to keep things working well (and hit the beetle bags while I was thinking of it).

-Bob

My guess is that's it's not friction but out of alignment. I may loosen the bolts and retighten them tomorrow.

That was the problem with mine, now it works fine.

With mine, I opened it and looked closely at the locking tabs. There were marks where they had been rubbing on both tabs. Given this, I figured that moving things around wouldn't necessarily help. Had only one tab been rubbing, I might have tried to loosen, move, and retighten.

For anyone looking to fix this problem, it would probably be worthwhile to take a close look and figure out what's rubbing (it was pretty obvious when you really looked at the tabs). Personally, I would have preferred to simply realign the cap instead of filing material away. But, ultimately it solved my problem so I'm happy with the result. :-)

Now, on to why my right heated grip isn't working ... gonna be 40 degrees tomorrow morning and I'd sure like both of 'em to be working for the ride to work! :icon_dance:

-Bob