CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain Life/Steeringhead Retorqueing

smoothmotion

My OEM chain on my 2003 BB was replaced today at 24,000kms. It was shot. What is the "normal" life of a chain on a BB, and what are the recommended lube intervals???

When backing the bike out of the garage, there was an audible "clunk" in the front end. With the bike jacked up and moving the forks, it was clear the steering bearings are in need of a retorqueing, or worse, a replacement. What has been the experience of the group on this item; improperly torqued from the factory perhaps? A "regular " service item, and if so, what interval??

Crystal

I bought mine with 16,000 on it and there was a new chain and sprockets on it, so maybe the original chain doesn't last that long. Since then I've put 87,000 km on it and I've just now gone through 2 sets, and I'm really hard on it. 25,000 doesn't sound like much at all.

I lube mine every second tankful (500 - 600 km). I use the recommended gear oil unless I'm on a road trip. It's messy but it works.

I've never had a problem with the front, and I'm sure you shouldn't be either at 25,000 km. Don't even know how to check/torque it, so maybe I'll learn something from this thread too.

Just got my hands on a can of Amsoil synthetic chain lube....going to try it out and see if it's any better than the chain wax I'v been using.

Has anyone else tried the Amsoil chain lube? Like it...Hate it ?

I use Motul Chain Lube "road". I think Motul makes excellent products. I have used Motul Coolant for many KMS, and I am using Motul Semi Synth oil. My 2 cents worth. I believe the key is cleaning and lubing and adjusting, if necessary, the chain on a regular and as needed basis. I used to use Amsoil synthetic with no issues but I've decided to return to semi syth as recommended by Jaws on the Brit site. cheers. I suspect that Amsoil chain lube would be an excellent product as well.

got 19.5k miles on my stock chain and sprockets..

I clean and lube them very often. I prefer using kerosene to clean it and Honda lube.

If you do use 90W oil only use alittle bit... I found out this past weekend how much is too much and had to clean the rear of my bike :icon_wall: (ran out of regular chain lube)

I have beed using PJ for years and got about 15,000 to 17,000 mi's on it. Now im trying Motorex Motoline

from Switzerland :icon_think: it has teflon in it, thay say spray and go. So far it seims i have to use a

lot of spray to get a good cover and is pritty clean on the rear wheel. New chain, sprockets and lube 3000 mi. At Cycle Gear i payed $9.99 for 16.9 fl.oz can.

Stephen

OMG, new chain is on, bike sounds soooooo much better! I thought I was riding an army tank at times, racket was unreal.

Dealer said, "steering head was fine, was tightened to specs" yet the clunk has vanished! Go figure?

Anyway, I am a happy female for awhile! :icon_biggrin:

Thanks guys for the responses.