CBR1100XX.org Forum

under tail rubbing tire

Bandit XX

I recently installed a mototech undertail on my 03 xx and the tire has been rubbing also having problems with the led lights buring out. the company that makes them said they have had no problems. and my suspention is stk. Would't you think that you should be able to use your full suspention travel without rubbing.

i have a mototeck undertail plus a pyramid hugger and have no problem. Are you sure your undertail is installed properly?

I think the huger you installed might be pushing the lwr portion of the under tail up,can this be possable. and I have pulled the back portion up with wire tie it helped but sometimes it still rubs. :icon_sad:

Tom do you have pictures of you Mototeck with the Pyramid Hugger? Is you Mototeck 1 or 2 version ? Please post some pics.

I'll take some pics tonite. Mine is the 1st version.

Tom do you have pictures of you Mototeck with the Pyramid Hugger? Is you Mototeck 1 or 2 version ? Please post some pics.

I'll take some pics tonite. Mine is the 1st version.

Here is some pictures of a pyramid undertail with an ermax hugger

post-2469-1154626929_thumb.jpg

post-2469-1154626967_thumb.jpg

A 3mm spacer ring on top of your shock will make the possible travel longer, and give you more clearance. It will also make the bike turn easier......

Very cheap and usefull mod!

I'm chasing this same problem.

Appears that the previous owner either incorrectly installed the undertail or failed to fasten the lower/forward end of it. Instead he just cranked the preload all the way down in an attempt to keep the tire off the undertail.

Going shim the rear shock and back off a little of that preload.

Should have some time and a camera on Sunday morning.

Here are some pics of my undertail install. The tie-wrap at the rear (near the shock) raised the undertail up and provided clearance for the hugger.

Tie-wrap as seen from below.

IPB Image

As seen from above:

IPB Image

Did a similar thing, TFT except I used 2 tie wraps at each corner of the undertail and took them around the back side of the passenger foot rest mount. Not perfect but it's got the front of the undertail snugly mounted and out of the way now.

Left the house after only one cup of coffee and forgot the camera, prolly lucky to have remembered my pants on a Saturday morning with only one good caffiene shot. :icon_neutral:

Let the preload off about 3-4-1" and put in the 6 mm shim on top of the shock mount, God, what a difference.

Rear tire now stays on the ground and the girl now stays on the seat. :icon_clap:

200 really fun miles this afternoon, I'm happy.