CBR1100XX.org Forum

Engine Ice

The XXorcist

I was going to drain my system (flush with distilled water) and fill back up with engine ice.

Has anyone done this? How much cooler does the bike run?

Also I haven't looked yet, but is there a drain plug on the radiator, or do I have to go searching for something speacial?

Any info would be great. Would love to help my baby run cooler.

Dave

The watterwetter route is cheaper, as it's an additive (use a small amount) rather than a replacment for everything in you cooling system. I dropped 5-15 degrees with the watterwetter. The hotter the motor gets the more it seems to help.

Let us know how the engine ice performs, it might be worth the extra $$

Draining the system-

-One drain bolt on the bottom of the waterpump (remove left fairing)

-One drain bolt on the left side front of the cylinder block (fairing's already off, cool :) )

-Drain the resevoir under the seat/gas tank. Just pull off the small hose mounted by the radiator cap (remove right fairing) and toss it in a bucket.

I can't remember the name of the stuff, but i'll find out from my dealer tomorrow.

The stuff will never freeze and will never over heat.

You flush your system twice the fill with this stuff. I'll find out more tomorrow and post about it.

I made a post about it a long time ago and don't know where it would be now or if it was the old board.

I talked to the owner and sent him the flow of the XX and he said it would be perfect for the bird.

Engine Ice works better then Water Wetter,at crusing speeds coolant temp is about 15 deg lower.I used them both on my R1 (bike has digital gauge)

My bike has been running rather hot for the past year. First year I owned it I never saw it go above 225 degrees even in hot south florida traffic. Then suddenly it became a problem and ran up to 250 once at Daytona at midnight on a tall bridge in outside temps of 50 degrees with a steady breeze blowing. Stayed out of traffic to keep the temp down till I got back home and immediately flushed system and refilled with pure engine ice.

Didnt see any change or cooler temps with the engine ice and have had to be carefull to avoid long traffic jams to prevent the temp going above 235 degrees. Since I leave tomarrow for the FUXXT I put my bike in the shop this week and had a good friend and (MMI) Honda mechanic check it out and he replaced the radiator cap and flushed the system again and replaced the engine ice with Honda coolant. Have run for two days now and temp has not gotten above 221 degrees in traffic. Highway crusing the temp runs about 184 now and fan turns on at 217 and stops climbing at 221/222 but the fan will not bring the temp down by itself. Once I get rolling the temp falls quickly below 200. I am now considering adding alittle waterwetter to the new Honda coolant to see if there is any difference. On my bike the engine ice did nothing for lowering the temp but then there may have been a radiator cap problem the same time that I was using it.

Will see what happens this weekend as I put 1000 miles on the Honda coolant and compare to other Birds on the ride. Will post results monday.

Very Cool and I mean your engine temps !

I would like to get my engine temps down below 180 when cruising.

The Bird is said to run higher temps normally but was told at Honda that boil over and damage does not begin till almost 300 degrees ! Now that is HOT.

I don't have a digital. A stock FI XX will run up to the very top of the guage's "normal" range in high temps and low speeds. With WW and distilled water (not simply adding WW to the stock coolant), it will just go to the fan-run temp and no higher. The fan will go on and off no matter how hot and even with the bike not moving. With Engine Ice the fan runs mostly full time if the bike is not moving, but the temp stays there.

I have been using Engine Ice for about one month. The temperature in my country ranging around 26-32 C (104-115F) all year long. This is my observation when I change to Engine Ice from the 2002 Euro Spec coolant mixture.

When I start the XX, it needs a longer time to warm up as the temperature rise slowly. However when I stuck in the traffic jam the temperature still go up and up with the fan on. Usually when I reach 112 C (259F), I will stop and rest by the roadside to cool down the bike. During cruising at 110 - 170 kmh the temperature will be at around 90-103C (219-243F). The XX fan wil be on when the temperature reached 100C (237F) this also will happen when I am cruising. Not sure whether this has impact on the battery or not. Another thing that I observe is that the bike cool down faster compare to the factory coolant spec. After a 30 minutes stop the temperature will be around 60-70C (165-183F).

However this is much better than the factory mixture. A lot better. The next time I change coolant I will try to use the non-mix Honda coolant and Waterwetter mixture. I want my bike to run as cool as possible.

Hi Madraz,

I'm also in the celsius regions here, with 35C days... I've had no problems with the bike at 115-118C indicated on my digital temp gauge... (pretty damn hot between my legs tho! :shock: ) it drops quickly once moving, so no worries there... Besides, it's a Honda, it will indicate when it can't take more... :cool:

For the non-metric, (C*9/5)+32...

at 25k, changed my coolant out to honda hp blue container (the stuff is green though) and about 1 cap of water wetter to each quart as someone else had on the list.

i consistantly run 7-10 degrees cooler now in all conditions for the past 320 miles. this weekend i'll give it a run for it's money in high revs in the twisties :grin: