CBR1100XX.org Forum

Location of oxygen sensor?

JohnA

I'm thinking of installing a wideband sensor on my 99 Bird, so I can tune the PCII properly.

Has anyone else done this? (on a non-turbo bike I'd think it's a bit far-fetched as a 'mod' but I'm used to having one from my cars)

The location of the oxygen sensor 'bung' would probably be where later Birds have it, but where exactly is that?

Cheers,

John

Thanks John.

Why do people disconnect the oxygen sensor? Doesn't closed-loop result in clean and efficient operation?

I wish mine could run closed-loop at low revs/load

Some people disconnect the O2 sensor and connect the plug to an emulator. The reasons for this could be as follows depending apon application.

1. Standard sensor isn't either wideband or fast reacting.

2. Radical retuning functions better with the emulator in some instances where you don't want the computer to compensate for a rich mixture at light throttle.

My Father has a Lexus IS300 with a Rotrax supercharger. The factory exhaust manifold was ditched in favor of a header and in that application an emulator is used in conjunction with a piggy back computer and a custom map. This way the factory ECU isn't all confused and the piggy back has it's own sensor ( wide band / preheated ) to measure the 02 content.

>>>1. Standard sensor isn't either wideband or fast reacting.

So what? to run closed loop it doesn't have to be. Works fine with cars, doesn't it?

It's only for low revs and low load anyway, then it goes open-loop.

Is the Blackbird closed-loop operation substandard then?

My 99 cans are black at the back, I bet if it had an oxy sensor they wouldn't be as bad, it would be running AFRs around 14.7 while idling.

I don't recall my 99 having an 02 sensor? Of course mine was an american bike.

The only American bikes you'd find an O2 sensor on would be CA models, and even then, I believe it was only '02 and '03 models.

Spend a lot of time idleing on your bike do you ??? :icon_snooty:

When you filter through traffic, wait at the lights etc it is low load/low rev operation.

You spend a lot more time in these conditions than you think --- just datalog and you'd be surprised at how little time you spend at full throttle. :icon_wink:

If you fit a power commander and remap a Bird with the O2 sensor in place it will keep leaning the OEM map to compensate for the extra fuel you are trying to put in.

I believe that a lot of the problems are down to the PAIR system. I intend to try my sensor again when the PAIR gets blocked off.

JohnS

If you fit a power commander and remap a Bird with the O2 sensor in place it will keep leaning the OEM map to compensate for the extra fuel you are trying to put in.

No it won't --- how would it know without the ECU having any feedback on AFR?

It's a 99 bike, it does NOT have an oxygen sensor from the factory (and even if it did, it would have been narrowband, practically useless for tuning)

The wideband would be for my information only, so I know what sort of AFRs I'm getting under what conditions and adjust the PCII accordingly. It would take a bit longer than a few sessions on the RR, but would be more accurate (real-world loading, with realistic airflow through the rads and ramair)

I'm thinking of installing a wideband sensor on my 99 Bird, so I can tune the PCII properly.

Has anyone else done this? (on a non-turbo bike I'd think it's a bit far-fetched as a 'mod' but I'm used to having one from my cars)

The location of the oxygen sensor 'bung' would probably be where later Birds have it, but where exactly is that?

Cheers,

John

Hi John,

Eric here,

Yes and Yes.... and yes.

Yes someone else has done it already, that would be me........

and yes it's kinda far fetched ..... but there are some small gains to be had.

and yes you DO HAVE TO remove the PAIR system in order to get accurate readings from your O2 sensor.

And contrary to popular belief... I found that adding a K&N and Pipe actually makes the bike run Richer.

I've also mad several maps... some good some not so good.... the learning proccess has been very long and tireing.

All in all.... unless you just love fucking with shit... and really want to spend some money, don't.

Personnaly... I love fucking with shit.

PM me....

and yes you DO HAVE TO remove the PAIR system in order to get accurate readings from your O2 sensor.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is this PAIR system? do 99Birds have it?

And contrary to popular belief... I found that adding a K&N and Pipe actually makes the bike run Richer.

The pipe should make a difference in fuelling, because it would alter the volumetric efficiency, especially at higher revs.

I doubt that the K&N would make any difference whatsoever, my bet is that it flows the same as a stock paper filter.

I had 'race' cans on mine for a short while and it didn't run smoothly at all. Got rid of them because the noise drove me mad (I live in a quiet area too, and starting the bike at 06:00 would be antisocial)

I've got the PCII lying around, from someone else's abandoned 'project'. I wonder if the 'stock' maps from the net are actually worth anything.

I'm not a big fan of one-size-fits-all solutions, but neither do I want to re-invent the wheel for no good reason.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is this PAIR system? do 99Birds have it?

PAIR system is an emmisions component that introduces fresh air into the exhaust stream under certain conditions. All XXs are so equipped as far as I know.