CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front Forks...

bajjer9

Ok, so I want to replace springs in my forks soon but dunno if I should go with the HyperPro progressive springs and heavier oil or do the RaceTech springs with Heavier oil and possibly do the valve later. I dont do a whole lot of knee dragging but I do do some every now and again. I also do wheelies every now and again too, and with my tub o lard 230lb ass and the bikes 490ishlbs I dont want to be bottoming out a lot. What would you all recommend I do?

simple and easy for me was installing stiffer springs myself. made a huge difference, but you should make sure you measure sag and cut the shims appropriately.

it's easy, really, it is :grin:

I don't have any experience with progressive springs but I have noticed that all springs are not created equal. Comparing 1.0kg boingers from Race-Tech, Eibach & Traxxion Dynamics I found small length, diameter and number of windings differences in each. I'm the heaviest guy but my Eibach's took the shortest preload spacer to get the desired sag. Dan Kyle suggested 1.05kg as the proper rate for this heavy of a bike.

If your a big heavy guy and /or loads the bike up with gear and/or rides aggressively with occassional track days on this beast....get the 1.05kg's.

If not, just get the 1.0kg springs and slide them in with the bike on the centerstand one at a time and try that out. I can help you with the spacer length. To properly change the oil requires a lot more effort and when you do that it's not much harder to mod the valves which will ultimately get you to suspension nirvana.

G2

I am also 230 and Traxxion recommended the 1.1 springs for me and well I really like them. As David said make sure to check the sag. I did mine and did not check it well I did today and was at 44mm compared to the 35 or so it should be. I had to cut my shims down about 1/2 inch. The total length of the shim is now 4.032 and it measured in at 33mm of sag.

Get the NON Progressive 1.05s,---the progressive springs make grand promises---but None of the pro rebuilders ever use them

Progressive springs certainly do wonders for GL1500 Goldwings and they did wonders for my XX also.

Maybe the pro rebuilders don't use them because the only thing involved is to drop them into the fork tubes and maybe change the oil?

I spoke to Progressive suspensions and they told me they do not make a progressive spring for the Bird. ? Where did you get your progressive's from ?

I used Progressive Suspension springs for my Goldwing and HyperPro for my Blackbird

Get the NON Progressive 1.05s,---the progressive springs make grand promises---but None of the pro rebuilders ever use them

Progressive springs certainly do wonders for GL1500 Goldwings and they did wonders for my XX also.

Maybe the pro rebuilders don't use them because the only thing involved is to drop them into the fork tubes and maybe change the oil?

Cant think of a single AMA/AFM rider that uses progressive springs--doesnt meld well with the dampening dynamics---BUT suit yourself---havent seen too many Goldwing races either

A quote from HyperPros web page

"HYPERPRO springs are an engineering work of art. Backing up this claim is a lifetime warranty against breakage. Each spring is constructed of the finest grade of chrome-silicon wire and is guaranteed not to sag even after 1.000.000 miles of use. Each spring is shot-peened for strength and durability and then polished to reduce friction and eliminate fork oil contamination"

I do believe that they make some good stuff.

I put the Hyperpro fork springs on and ran them with the original fork oil and then with the 2.5 oil they sent me. The bike is smoother over rough roads and yet dives less when braking. I like them a LOT better than stock and the sag is fine when riding solo or with a passenger and fully loaded.

I definitely recomend these. It gave me more confidence when riding fast on roads that varied from smooth to bumpy.

BTW: these springs are progressive and longer than the stock springs. I did NOT cut the preload tube and so there is more preload on these than the stock fork springs. This worked out great. DO NOT cut the tube to get equal lengths. Also- the lighter fork oil improves the handling and gets rid of the bump harshness.

TimXX

i rode familiar canyon roads pretty darn hard this morning, and i gotta say AGAIN... bank for buck, bang for ease of "do it yourself", the difference i'm getting out of my 1.05 weight (for my gordo butt) front fork springs (with no revalving or diff oil wt) is phenomenal.... imho

• 2 weeks later...

Actually they use progressive rate springs for some weird ass tracks like Daytona with all banking etc,but that is an exception.

They were hot years ago in the era of stone age orifice type suspension damping,sort of band-aid fix.