CBR1100XX.org Forum

1st Gear clunk

Herc driver

When I shift into first from neutral, there is a significant "clunk" as shifts. I bought the bike 3 years ago and it had 11k on it and hasn't improved/deteriorated since. I also changed the oil to mobil 1 synthetic, hoping it would help/eliminate the phenomena. I figure it's probably normal for this model, but I keep hearing others on the board talk about how smooth thier bikes shifts so now I'm starting to wonder. Is this normal, or should I be concerned?

When I shift into first from neutral, there is a significant "clunk" as shifts. I bought the bike 3 years ago and it had 11k on it and hasn't improved/deteriorated since. I also changed the oil to mobil 1 synthetic, hoping it would help/eliminate the phenomena. I figure it's probably normal for this model, but I keep hearing others on the board talk about how smooth thier bikes shifts so now I'm starting to wonder. Is this normal, or should I be concerned?

What year is you're bird? My '97 would clunk alot through 2nd, but I never had any issue with it. As I got to know where to shift it was quieter. My '01 has less clunking, but more whining through 3rd. Go figure. What ever, it's still not missing any gears or falling out, so no worries IMO.

I suggest slap some nice clutch-up 2nd's and break that damn thing in. The Honda tranny is very strong. As well as the clutch.

That may smooth things out for you.

My 2 cents.

-Obbs

What year is you're bird? My '97 would clunk alot through 2nd, but I never had any issue with it. As I got to know where to shift it was quieter. My '01 has less clunking, but more whining through 3rd. Go figure. What ever, it's still not missing any gears or falling out, so no worries IMO.

I suggest slap some nice clutch-up 2nd's and break that damn thing in. The Honda tranny is very strong. As well as the clutch.

That may smooth things out for you.

My 2 cents.

-Obbs

It's a 97 also. It shifts very smooth 1st-6th, it's just the shift from neutral to 1st. I've owned several bikes and they've always shifted very smooth into first. I'm not terribly concerned.

Mine is a 1999. If I pull the clutch from neutral to 1, A clunck can be heard and feel.

If I pull the clutch from neutral, count till 4 or 5 then put it in first gear. A small click almost not niticeable.

If I pull the clutch in neutral and wait 10 secondes before putting it in 1. It would not go in first gear, I need to release the clutch, (I can here something starting to turn) pull it and then count till 4 or 5 for a smooth entry in first gear.

Passing from 1 to second gear a grrchhh can be heard depend on the RPM. The faster the RPM is, the stronger the grrrchh is.

Other gear are noise less.

The clunk is due to the fact that when the bike is idling the crankshaft is turning the transmission at the relative speed, clutch out. If you pull in the clutch in and immediately shift to first the gear the gear movement engages a spinning transmission. When you pull in the clutch this disengages the crank to trans and the trans slows down and eventually stops. No clunk and may even be hard to engage at first. No real damage.

My suggestion is to get in the habit of pulling in the clutch and waiting 5 seconds. Reduces clunk which simply does not feel good.................