CBR1100XX.org Forum

Sprocket advice question.

Zero Knievel

Okay, BOTH sprockets were toast when I checked them, so the old OEM sprockets are back on the bike. Here are pics of what the "new" ones look like with less than 10,000 miles on them after my cross-country trip.

The front is supposed to be case hardened steel. The rear is supposed to be hardened aluminum.

My dad's in a fuss saying the curls on the rear shows that the metal was not tempered properly. He's not impressed with the front sprocket either.

I'm not only curious if this wear is "normal" for the curcumstances (was doing a cross-country trip with an average of 14-16 hours on the bike per day plus hard luggage on the bike), but since I'm not really impressed with these sprockets, where would you get aftermarket replacements that you know are durable? I don't go with OEM becauase they are really overpriced, but I'd rather pay an extra $20 for quality than save money just to toast a perfectly good $130 chain on "bargain" sprockets.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

holy hooking batman! :icon_eek:

Aluminum rear sprockets on this bike tend to be a :icon_naughty:

Honestly, I am surprised you got 10k out of it. I have seen pics of some with 5k and teeth missing.

I have a OEM front sprocket with 17k on it and it isn't hooked anything like yours! :icon_eek:

Unless you are drag racing, get hardened steel for your rear sprocket...imho. I can't believe that picture of the rear! :icon_shocked:

Fronts should last as long as your chain does (15k +/- 5k).....

of course, i could be full of shit and know nothing! :icon_lol:

I don't run aluminum sprockets, even on my dirtbike. If your concerned of weight try a stealth rear sprocket. Aluminum on the inside with hard steel teeth. You say you don't like the price of Honda oem, but what have you realy saved by replacing everything after 10,000 miles ?

That's typical for an aluminum rear on this bike. Not so typical for the front, but I've only run OEM fronts, they've always looked way better when they came off with the chain, usually somewhere around 20k.

It's possible the rear wearing that way trashed the chain, which in turn trashed the front sprocket.

How often were you lubing it?

That's typical for an aluminum rear on this bike. Not so typical for the front, but I've only run OEM fronts, they've always looked way better when they came off with the chain, usually somewhere around 20k.

It's possible the rear wearing that way trashed the chain, which in turn trashed the front sprocket.

How often were you lubing it?

Well, that may be a sin on my part. :icon_doh:

Asking others, I've been told o-ring and x-ring chains don't need "lube" because the individual links are sealed roller bearings which negates most all of the friction that "lube" protects against. What they really need is to be clean. Most guys just run a kerosine/diesel soaked rag over the chain and it lasts a long time.

So, that's what I do. Clean with kerosine and apply chain wax (mostly to protect against the elements between cleanings.

Of course....

On the trip, my average day easily ran between 500-900 miles. On a couple of occasions, I didn't bother to stop and clean/rewax the chain because I just stopped long enough to get some shut eye and then get back on the road. My average day was 14-16 hours in the saddle. The chain "looked" in good condition, but I suspected not cleaning it religiously might pose a problem, but I can't be sure that's the real problem. I suspect I should have made the time to stop at least every 500 miles and clean/lube (or at least clean) the chain. I'm sure that might have helped.

As someone just said, aluminum (even hardened) for this bike is a no no.

What chafes me is that the seller sells hardened aluminum for THIS BIKE and did not disclose that they were aluminum. When I e-mailed him later, he said that steel was available, but nowhere on the order site do you get the choice. I would have bought steel had I known the rear was not steel. So, I basically roasted an expensive chain because the seller did not disclose that the rear was aluminum. They sell aluminum rears because they can be colored to suit those who want color rear sprokets (posers who don't intend to do anything but tool down the road).

It's water under the bridge. My chain (hopefully) will last another 10,000 on the OEM sprockets I just put back on the bike. If I get that much, I'll consider myself very lucky since other 'bird owners say 20K on any chain/sprocket combo is about all they get (although they ride more aggressively than I do). Heck, at this point, I'd be happy to get at least another 5,000 out of the chain (it's not stretching out, but that usually happens when it takes a dive).

I'm not sure I want to go with the same supplier next time. If steel sprockets would have avoided this problem, I might consider it, but OEM is not really "better" and it is certainly overpriced. I'm just wondering who are the recommended sprocket suppliers for durable aftermarket sprockets vs. buying OEM.

BTW, these came from Driven USA, sold by extremebikecustoms.

Just a quick mention on my chain lube / cleaning intervals that have worked for me so far.

Lube about every 350 miles ( every other tankfull )

Cleaning about every 1,500 miles with S-100 and a grunge brush. The S-100 is labeled safe for all surfaces so I assume that it won't hurt the O rings.

I use a JT front sprocket and a Sidewinder rear from now on I had been using the stock rear after I had a Renthal almost disentegrate on me last year coming back from Reno.

6K miles, and I had teeth missing. It toasted my master link in the process, so I had to replace a section of chain upon getting home.

I lube my chain every 500 miles +/- and never clean them. First chain I nursed to 25K (was noisy @ 20K), and this one has ~20K but it's getting noisy, as well.

FWIW, I'll be getting another EK chain to replace this one.

If you are in the market for a Sidewinder sprocket, PM me. I can get them for $109.95 + $10 shipping, vs. the $149.95 they charge and you'll have it in a couple of days.

Did I understand correctly that you put that chain back on the bike with new sprockets? If so you will soon be unhappy again

It's still worth a try, IMO.

Right now he's unsure if the chain is any good, so why not re-install some good, used sprockets (at no cost, I might add) to see how long that lasts? I have done the same, and would again.

Did I understand correctly that you put that chain back on the bike with new sprockets? If so you will soon be unhappy again

It's still worth a try, IMO.

Right now he's unsure if the chain is any good, so why not re-install some good, used sprockets (at no cost, I might add) to see how long that lasts? I have done the same, and would again.

Yep. I put the old sprokets back on (I always save old parts if they look servicable...just in case something like this happens.

Since any harm done to the chan has already happened, I can't make it worse by putting the old sprockets back on. I could make it worse by leaving the existing ones on or waste money buying new ones and mating them to a worn chain.

Asking others, I've been told o-ring and x-ring chains don't need "lube" because the individual links are sealed roller bearings which negates most all of the friction that "lube" protects against.

I always read this in the magazines but it doesn't seem to be the opinion here. They said that the lube one puts on is just so the chain don't rust. I don't think that the magazine guys ride their own bikes so they don't worry about it.

Guest rockmeupto125

When I'm tripping I oil the chain every gas stop......between 150 and 200 miles. I especially don't want a chain failure on a trip, and if I oil it every stop, I can easily afford to skip one time if I'm in a situation where I don't want to spend a lot of time at the pump....getting dark, running at the edge of a storm cloud, locals with bats, etc.

And running a solvent over the chain is a :icon_naughty: . So are aluminum sprockets.

Al. sprockets on big HP bikes are a nono if you expect and life out of them. I have used the Stealth/Sidewinders on the rear of my trackbikes(929/1000RRs) and they are great. They did not have one available when I changed the chain/sprockets on the XX so plain old steel AFAMs are on there for over 10k now. I lube with Maxima chain wax every 500mi. and it leans the chain as well.

I you want to run aluminum sprockets try Vortex....I am pleased so far and have about 3K on them with no serious wear/chipped teeth

It'll look REALLY good for the first 4k or so, then the hard annodized outside will be worn off and it'll be COMPLETE TRASH in probably 1500 miles...

Mike

Well, I'll give extremebikecustoms some credit (the people who sold me the sprockets).

I sent a nice e-mail with links to the pictures explaining (actually, quoting) their website that makes absolutely no mention that the sprockets are aluminum, that they indicate the sprockets are supposed to be steel, and that the still have not corrected this information on their sales page. Also a bit about thier error costing my company over $250 in hardware (spockets and chain) because we wanted steel components, not aluminum, which is why we bought from them.

They've replied saying if we send back the rear sprocket, they'll send a steel replacement. They also said if we pass along the info on the chain we are using, they'll take up the matter with their supplier to see what can be worked out as they feel that even their hardened aluminum sprockets should not have worn like this.

I'm going to also return the front sprocket. Maybe they'll pitch in a replacement one as well.

They also said if we pass along the info on the chain we are using, they'll take up the matter with their supplier to see what can be worked out as they feel that even their hardened aluminum sprockets should not have worn like this.

Good stuff. That speaks very well of their company.

If they were at all familiar with the XX they would not be surprised by the condition of that sprocket.

Anything good, bad, or indifferent about Sunstar sprockets? I have a brand new set in the packages waiting for my chain to fall off.... :icon_doh:

I'm with the HOLY CRAP crowd.

Never used Aluminum, now certainly never will. I lube/spray the chain with chain lube every other gas stop- carry it in the tank bag. I generally get 15000-20000 out of a chain and sprockets. I.E. I'm at 40000 now and am about to put the second set on this bike. Personally, all respect to those who don't, but I replace my sprockets and chain at the same time. Have on all my bikes. One of those things some wrench told me I absolutely HAD TO do when he was trying to sell me something I couldn't afford- back when I could barely afford insurance. Now it's just habit.

I don't run aluminum sprockets, even on my dirtbike. If your concerned of weight try a stealth rear sprocket. Aluminum on the inside with hard steel teeth. You say you don't like the price of Honda oem, but what have you realy saved by replacing everything after 10,000 miles ?

Ditto - Steel on street and dirt. Only the race bike and riller get Al

Improper chain adjustment.... Some folks adjust them with no weight on the bike, then as a rider and lugage etc is added, the chain runs WAY to tight.....just a thought

Just say NO to aluminum sprockets !!!!!!!

IMO

Hey that looks like the sprocket off my first bike about 20 years ago - a 82 XS 250 Yamaha and that was steel sprockets :icon_eek: But back then I had no idea about preventitive maintenance/adjusting chains etc :icon_wall:

I think it did about 30 000 km before she just started slipping on the sprockets :icon_nono:

Used to be able to grind the footpegs on her though - haven't managed that on the XX yet - maybe when the shim and new P/P front go on :icon_think:

I read through this thread and agree that Alum sprockets pretty much suck. I find one thing odd though: why did the front wear the way it did? I think your chain was/is misaligned. All the lube in the world, btw, won't save a misaligned chain. Did you take a close look at your chain?

I read through this thread and agree that Alum sprockets pretty much suck. I find one thing odd though: why did the front wear the way it did? I think your chain was/is misaligned. All the lube in the world, btw, won't save a misaligned chain. Did you take a close look at your chain?

My chain "looks" okay to me. I didn't adjust it too often, but frankly, when I did check it, it was within the specs its supposed to be in. If anything I know about making it too tight, and I've been told while a good chain is in good condition, it hardly needs adjustment until it starts to wear out and begins stretching again.

To my knowledge, the rear tire was aligned properly. With the way the rear brake caliper mounts on the swingarm, I don't think you could have much misalignment without noticing it.

I think the front was damaged by the wear on the rear and increased friction. I didn't think to lube/clean at every other gas stop. Now that I know this can't be avoided, it's something I'll have to always do on longer trips. :(

• 1 month later...

They also said if we pass along the info on the chain we are using, they'll take up the matter with their supplier to see what can be worked out as they feel that even their hardened aluminum sprockets should not have worn like this.

Good stuff. That speaks very well of their company.

If they were at all familiar with the XX they would not be surprised by the condition of that sprocket.

Well, an update.

1. Extremebikecustoms never sent any replacements, even though they said they would. If they use the supplier to "drop ship" everything, I can understand that, but they didn't seem to do anything but pass stuff along to the manufacturer (DrivenUSA).

2. After over a month passes with no reply, I finally e-mailed Extremebikecustoms. They said they e-mailed me the report they got from Driven. I asked them to resend it. About a week or so later, I get it with a suggestion that maybe DrivenUSA will sell me a replacement set at a discount. Driven finds no flaw in their part. They suspect poor chain adjustment or misalignment of the rear wheel is to blame. They do state that they do not know what type of bike the sprockets were used on or type of chain used.

3. Since Extremebikecustoms told me to deal with DrivenUSA if I had any further questions, I just e-mailed them directly. I told them the bike, the chain used, and that the damage was mostly from the rear being aluminum when I wanted steel (seller's error). I also said that I was disappointed that the problem was being passed off to them (it was the seller's misrepresentation on the web page that caused all this). I also said that I considered the whole matter a loss at this point but would appreciate whatever they could do.

4. DrivenUSA replies and says that rather than have a dissatisfied customer, they'll send me replacement sprockets in steel (not gotten them as of this post, but that was a few days ago that they were mailed). :icon_clap:

On one side, I'm happy that DrivenUSA stepped up to the plate and took action. On the other side, while the replacements are freebies, I'm not sure if I want to justify buying another $130+ DID chain and HOPE that these gears will hold up as well as other steel gears should hold up.

Likewise, I came across the pro chain oiler group buy thread. I'm seriously thinking about putting one on. On longer trips, it will pay for itself in not having to worry about chain oiling every gas stop.

Anyone know of a way to test the quality of a sprocket BEFORE putting them on?