CBR1100XX.org Forum

Carpet glue on the front porch, how to remove?

Texhoss

The previous owner put carpet on the front porch. I want to tile it. How do I remove this glue to prep the concrete? Sandblast it?

Thanks,

Carl

I'm guessing it's like linoleum glue. I used an ammonia based cleaner and sprayed it on the left over glue and after a few minutes it came right off with a putty knife.

Brett, having tried the Parsons Ammonia Cleaner 100%, with a puddy knife, there is still trawl marks with glue left on the concrete. I am thinking that the concrete is porous enough to allow the glue in. I have tried a chisel scraping with 1 1/4 " blade. I am guessing 12 to 14 hours of this and I still have the glue.

I have talked to tile guys that say the glue must be removed for the tile to stick. This is about 144 sq. feet.

I had a sand blaster give me a estimate of $225, with no assurances that I could leave it bare concrete. It would save my hands, I want to see if I can rent a sand blaster. This little project has gotten costly!!

Brett would commercial cleaner work any better than straight Parsons.

Thanks,

Carl

how bout acetone???

works great on just about any adhesive i've ever tried it on.

Great idea you'll be high as a motherfucker. Ever work with large quanities of that shit :icon_eh:

My suggestion is if it's bonded to the concrete that hard go ahead and tile over it. Thats what my tilesetter told me and he's a picky mofo.

I used acetone on my boat to remove carpet glue. It worked, I had a fan, outside, under some trees. I lost my voice for 3 days because of it. I'm usually not short on words, but I was then. That stuff scares me.

I used acetone on my boat to remove carpet glue. It worked, I had a fan, outside, under some trees. I lost my voice for 3 days because of it. I'm usually not short on words, but I was then. That stuff scares me.

why don't you try some kind of moderate acid that is OK for concrete? Don't use phosphoric, though. It will take the aggregate layer off. I use sulfuric on stains ...if you go with something in-between the two, that might help dissolve the glue. Like the other guy said, though ...I would just tile over the bonded glue unless you think it will interfere with the mortar. Heck, people tile over linoleum and that stuff is slick. I always rip it up first but I've seen people do it with good results. Good luck.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Would not a pressure washer do this job 3000 to 4000 psi. I was told 3000 psi will strip paint.

10-4 good buddy....

3000 psi at about 6 gpm will take paint off of just about anything.

4000 psi can even remove the top skin of the concrete....

How do I know ? .... well I have a 4000psi / 6gpm Silver Eagle here at work.

Depending on the size of the area.... would determine how big a unit I would recomend you renting and using. If it's a large area.... I would even recomend a bigger unit, because the 4000 psi is only good for about 1" away from the nozzle, so a large pad could take a couple of hours to spray off. But on the plus side water is relativly cheap and easy to get.... compared to Sandblasting Slag.

Plus the water penatrates the concrete to some extent and really leave a clean look.

Goodluck.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd try a product called goof-off. It removes pretty much anything. Else get a gel based graffiti remover. Pressure washing should be the last resort. If I remember paint thinner also removes linolium and carpet glue in the first 24 hours

Not knowing or seeing exactly what you’re up against I’ll just ask if you really need to worry about it. Are you sure the tile mortar won’t stick? Is it worth while to plop a bit down, let it dry and see how tough it is to get off?

You may be making more work for yourself by trying to get the glue off when it’s not necessary.