CBR1100XX.org Forum

200mph ++ HOW TO..??

Tom Braithwaite

:icon_dance:

Manny you will love this place...just don't take it too seriously,,and don't think these guys are

"GAY" in real life. On this board everyone is gay until you meet them. :icon_duh:

I have only seen 2 Blackbirds here and when I found this site I went crazy. icon_twisted.gif

Almost everyone here has, or has had, or will have, or wants to have ,,,a BB

.........unless they're GAY..!!

:icon_cool:

53yrs

Wasn't a eye burner for me.

I am almost blind in the morning. Especially before the coffee has sunk in. :icon_biggrin:

I just figured it was written for the old farts. :icon_razz:

Don't blame you. I look at this shit I wrote and cringed... I just turned 48 today. Does that qualify for old fart status??? I started celebrating early. Didn't mean to waste space on your fun website. I have only seen 2 Blackbirds here and when I found this site I went crazy. :icon_twisted:

...You ain't alone, only time I ever see other XX's is at BikeWeek, sometimes I might see three or four of them there in one weekend, it's a shame most owners think they bought some Old Timers Sport Cruiser and won't give the bike the credit it deserves. :icon_confused:

:icon_evilgrin:

I always knew that 02 Silver was the fastest year and color...

Now if I can just find a small rear sprocket.... :icon_wall:

:icon_cool:

I took a hacksaw and cut three teeth off my rear sprocket and now I can fly! :icon_evilgrin:

LMAO :icon_lmao:

Thanks guys for the support. Yesterday I got a tire shipment from Ron Ayers. I am trying a harder compound. The Road Tech Metzler Z6 so far (95 miles tonight) seem to stick plenty good. I broke in the tires and chain and then I did some low to medium speed twistys and a couple charges to 160mph out on the highway. No apparent slipage with the exception of getting really light over rises. My last tires were the Sport tech and before that the Michelin Pilots. We are real hard on tires out here. I want to see if I can get more miles out of this set. We have tons of pot holes not to mention man hole covers that have blown off during heavy rain. Keeps you alert. During this tire change I did my first sprocket/chain change.(21,000mi) Original sprockets still look good. From Parts 411.com I got a ZR Regina(chain and both sprockets) combo kit for $180. Ron Ayers was $200 for both tires. Here they want $240 for just the rear tire. Anyway I was looking for any reports on the Z6. Let me know your experience with these tires if any. I was appauled when I pulled off the sprocket cover. I never seen so much gook. The original front sprocket has rubber, I think, on both sides. Reginas did not. So far I can't tell a difference other than how damn smooth the bike is with a fresh set of tires ,sprockets and chain. I was down for a month before this change and I am refucking amazed with this bike. Oh ya, I found out why there are so many Hayabusas here in PR. They were cheaper than our Honda!!! But still many of these guys spend a fortune on customising the 1300. Lots of chrome, custom wheels,paint and more. Also I noticed my dampners behind the rear sprocket are showing some cracks and general wear. How long do you all get out of them? :icon_cool:

Also I noticed my dampners behind the rear sprocket are showing some cracks and general wear. How long do you all get out of them? icon_cool.gif

Most guys just stuff some old rags up in there when the rubber gives out.

I enjoy a good sense of humor...

(it's not nice to lie to the new guys :icon_nono: )

People who think they're going 190mph because their clocks tell them so are hilarious. :)

Go to www.200mph.org and ask them. These guys hire the 2.2 mile runway at RAF Woodbridge in the UK, set up some timing equipment and speed traps and then go flat out all weekend. It's a ball! There are plenty of slammed, class 2, nos Busas that don't get 200mph with over 250bhp on tap. At those speeds, it's aeros and environmental conditions that have the biggest impact. Of course it helps if you only weight 150lbs.

Of course some of the big players, like the Flying Dutchman from Holland, are making the numebrs. He hit 240 on his turbo Busa back at the start of June.

[attachmentid=1596]I have an MS Excel spreadsheet set up to calculate required HP given some input values. Some values that are "unknown" can be worked backwards from what you know your bike can(really) do and then be used for "what if". I have attached it and can explain anything that is not clear

PieterPower.xls

• 9 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Mine did 200 verified with GPS. I'm running a turbo pushing 18psi and generating about 275hp. I'd have to say it ain't possible with a stock bird and different gears. WAY TOO MUCH wind resistance.

• Upvote 1

Not possible with a stock bird no matter what gearing, but you could gear down and maybe see 200 on the dash and then boast about it to all the other squids.

Many people don't understand how much wind resistance increases at those speeds, altho it seems to me that your 275HP would do more than 200.  It'll depend on your size and position of course.  The only time I took a bird to ludicrous speed I found that stretching my ass back rather than trying to ball up behind the windscreen worked better.  I'm relatively long & slender so YMPHMV.  The guy who owned the bike didn't hit quite as good of a speed as I did, from memory he was a little bit bigger.  With his backpack on it was way worse.  I hit an indicated 193 so maybe 175ish?  Too lazy to do the math.  I believe he did an indicated 175ish with backpack and 185ish without.  On my run it seemed to be running out of steam around 185 and when I stretched out it started climbing again.  I believe it woulda done a hair more but I was running out of road.  This is all from old memory while on a speed high so the numbers might be a little off.  I was riding a 1982 Seca Turbo (100ish MPH bike-I'm guessing since the speedo stopped at 85) when he tossed me the keys to his bird and said if I didn't hit at least 180 I was a pussy and he'd be pissed.

Saw an article years ago saying that a larger (rounded) person (200lb+) would get a few more mph on the busa than say a skinny (140lb) rider because of the aerodynamics at speed. The larger person leaned over cuts out a little bit more area that the smaller person would catch more wind. Sure persons shape, tank shape, windscreen come into play. Your bike and body shape will give you various results. 

The weight difference will have more direct effect on the acceleration than top speed. Streamliners can weigh a shit ton and while slower starting they cut through the air much cleaner than a lighter machine with higher drag coefficient resulting in higher speeds. 

3 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Not possible with a stock bird no matter what gearing, but you could gear down and maybe see 200 on the dash and then boast about it to all the other squids.

Many people don't understand how much wind resistance increases at those speeds, altho it seems to me that your 275HP would do more than 200.  It'll depend on your size and position of course.  The only time I took a bird to ludicrous speed I found that stretching my ass back rather than trying to ball up behind the windscreen worked better.  I'm relatively long & slender so YMPHMV.  The guy who owned the bike didn't hit quite as good of a speed as I did, from memory he was a little bit bigger.  With his backpack on it was way worse.  I hit an indicated 193 so maybe 175ish?  Too lazy to do the math.  I believe he did an indicated 175ish with backpack and 185ish without.  On my run it seemed to be running out of steam around 185 and when I stretched out it started climbing again.  I believe it woulda done a hair more but I was running out of road.  This is all from old memory while on a speed high so the numbers might be a little off.  I was riding a 1982 Seca Turbo (100ish MPH bike-I'm guessing since the speedo stopped at 85) when he tossed me the keys to his bird and said if I didn't hit at least 180 I was a pussy and he'd be pissed.

I did a couple high speed passes on my 01 Bird with power commander/full Akrapovic exhaust and tuned to 149.9 hp at the rear wheel.
I saw 191 indicated and the GPS showed a top speed of 178. I personally ran out of "balls" but the Bird was creeping up at that point. I believe with a little better body positioning, mirror removal, elbows in, maybe just maybe she would have gotten up to the 186 mph factory claimed top speed with another mile of pinned throttle but this kid will never know for sure!

• 3 months later...
On 8/3/2016 at 5:50 PM, XX4me said:

Mine did 200 verified with GPS. I'm running a turbo pushing 18psi and generating about 275hp. I'd have to say it ain't possible with a stock bird and different gears. WAY TOO MUCH wind resistance.

I think I have proof what you need to get to 200 MPH ,

IMG_2024.JPG

IMG_2004.JPG

Mark Moisan (American Turbo Systems now closed) gave a turbo kitted bird to a magazine back in 98.

They fried it with the first top end attempt but ran 200+ after Mark put pistons in it and richened it up in his motel room overnight.
Sea level at Daytona Beach during Bike Week 1998.

Weak turbo (Aerocharger) kit available to the public.

Mark also won the horsepower shootout at AMI during Bikeweek 8 times.

Smart SOB and an old friend.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, 02XXCA said:

Forrest didn't have the benefit of sea level on this speed run, nothing like a mile high!

Actually once you have a turbo then altitude is your friend as the air resistance is lessening while the HP is able to stay constant. HP of course is totally a function of boost, but this can be set as desired.

• Upvote 1

But it would require more boost which means more pumping losses, more intake heat, etc. which work against making power and work toward popping the motor.....at least I think it would.