CBR1100XX.org Forum

Washing work rags and cloths

BarryG

Lubing chain, wiping down the bike, changing the oil. Best method for washing these rags after use? I won't put them in the washing machine as they're just too dirty and dirty that thing up.

I've been soaking them in a bucket of detergent and water for a day or so and then taking them out and letting them just sorta dry out on some cardboard.

Anyone have some other methods they use?

Thx,

B

local farm store sells 5 gallon Purple stuff degreaser. 50/50 mix with water. Let is soak a day and wash in the horse blanket washer down at the barn. Or your local laundy mat.

i use windex for me jeans and such when i get oil or other crap on them, pre treat and wash and it's all gone. so imagine it would work on rags.

my 2cents

i use windex for me jeans and such when i get oil or other crap on them, pre treat and wash and it's all gone. so imagine it would work on rags.

my 2cents

Not windex....... :icon_naughty: ...... next time try a shot of WD-40.

I work with asphalt... there's nothing worse that trying to get CSS1H (Liquid Tar) out of a pair of Jeans. But if you let the WD soak in over night.... even than stuff will come out and not destroy your washing machine.

Lubing chain and changing oil

I just throw them away. I don't buy them, I use old underware or socks or whatever.

maan I was getting worried there for a mintue thinking there was something wrong with me. I use old clothes and use them first on lightly olied stuff then heavy greasae then trash them. My wife wants me to get my own washer for dirtbike gear and if so I may try to clean them.

:icon_confused: still looking for something that works, wd40 or crc could be too expensive for the buckets full of dirty rags I've collected, 50cents per bagfull I may just chuck them out, I find they scratch things after they have been washed after shed cleaning, so slowly loosing confidence in recycling them ...sorry ..my bit. :icon_wall:

1. Cleaning (chain)....Kerosine and an old rag (often old socks, underwear, t-shirts, etc.) I store the one I'm using in an old covered cooking pan (to keep O2 out in case it ignites when stored).

2. Lubing (chain)....a paper towel.

3. Cleaning (most everything else)....paper towels.

If you're concerned about the environment (concerned about the landfill mass), just store your dirty stuff and use it as firelighters.

The most considerate way to wash your shop towels if you plan to reuse them is just get a big pail and fill it with degreasing agent and water. Let the rags soak overnight. Agitate the water with a stick. Drain, and refill with soap and water. Just hand wash them. If they are used for cleaning up while doing gunky work, you don't need them 100% clean. Use a "new" shop rag for the final wipe up on a job but use the old, pre-soiled rags for keeping the mess contained.

I'm against taking stuff to a local laundromat because if you gunk up their machine, you're really repsonsible for fixing it and the people who are harmed after the fact. In truth, you can shop around for a used washing machine and for $100-200 get a unit you can abuse and do no harm. After all, at what those laundromats charge per wash, the used unit would pay for itself in no time at all.

Howie,,I will tell ya what I do as long as you promise not to tell my wife...

Here goes,,I wash them in the machine on low water level. I wash the same

rags about two-three times till clean. Then I take simple green and wash the inside

of the washer "REAL GOOD"

Last, I take some other old clothes and the rags and wash them once again on High.

This way the rags are clean, the washer is clean, the wife still loves me and life goes

on.

When you get married I will explain it again..!!

:icon_cool:

Goop hand cleaner - the lanolin works pretty well - Shout takes a pretty good load out too. I've used it on clothes - you' have to weigh the cost of cleaner Vs value of rags.

DO NOT use gasoline and then run through the washing machine. I had a friend that ended up with really sever burns over 80 percent of her body when the switch on th machine sparked and ignited the fumes :-(